Hero or Villain: Genesis (feedback thread. #2457 update on Armageddon, DLC, etc...)

Will the third book be released ? If yes, will it in the world ?

3 Likes

I know I haven’t replied to everybody here yet, sorry about that (I was really busy with my other WIP until today). I am now hoping to spend a week or two updating this game. For a start, I have now implemented (based on many requests) some cheat codes. Obviously you won’t be able to use them until the next update is pushed (and we are still some weeks away from that). However, if anybody has any ideas how to call the cheats, and what they would do, please let me know! (please use the format below, which shows what I have coded so far).

Cheat title: touchedbymidas
Effect: Starting money +$30,000

Cheat title: powerbooster
Effect: starting hero points +100

6 Likes

Hmmm a couple off the top of my head would be:

Cheat title: alldone
Effect: Patent/design/work project task is completed(brought to 100%)

Cheat title: lovedbyall
Effect: gives relationship boost(maybe just max it?) to all/select characters

Cheat title: hybridvigor/endlesspossibilities
effect: Allows power selection from multiple/all power types(they can still only select one: ray type, shield effect type, stun type, etc…)

Also are there any updates to the powers themselves in the coming update by any chance? - thanks for the update!

7 Likes

Cheat code AllForOne allows the player to have access to all the powers from the start and maxed out

8 Likes

Apologies for the rapid fire posting here :sweat_smile:, would it be possible for an extra impossible mode to be playable in light of having these added advantages of extra abilities + wealth? One that would geniuenly be very difficult to beat even with those advantages?

It would certainly bring out the more fun aspects of being an over powered/versatile character. It might break immersion if you’re actually struggling to fight just a regular common criminal - so maybe this is more appropiate for the “Boss level” fights or most of the fighters in the Battle Royal game? Idk just a random thought I guess??

1 Like

I implemented all these! (thanks everyone! :slight_smile: )

(@YuleKitten well, the one for the specific powers not yet… I am adding new powers to the game now, so I will reserve that cheat code for the new powers, and only allow playtesters to check them for the time being, as I am pretty sure there will be problems with them). About the super-hard mode for people with the extra powers… no, I am currently not thinking about this, as the coding and re-balancing would be crazy. If enough people request it I might consider it in the future. I was initially reluctant to implement cheat codes, and I am only doing it as so many people have requested it that it is clear this is a thing many people want. Likewise, if after I implement this many people ask for a harder mode for the super-powered heroes, then I might do… but I first need to make sure the game works with the cheat codes and new powers, etc…

So yes, I am working on new powers… more on that later!

9 Likes

Cheat title:barefists
Effect: Max out strength but sets all other Stats to Zero
Cheat title: unbreakable
Effect: Max out endurance but sets all other Stats to Zero
Cheat title:bigbrain
Effect: Max out intelligence but sets all other Stats to Zero
Cheat title:circuskid
Effect: Max out agility but sets all other Stats to Zero
Cheat title: away
Effect: Max out psyche but sets all other Stats to Zero

2 Likes

I like the idea, but unfortunately these would be structurally very complex to implement (difficult to explain, just too many things would have to be changed). Sorry about that…

3 Likes

COMBAT POWER SUGGESTIONS

So, I am now starting to code new powers for the game. I am accepting suggestions, though they NEED to follow the pattern below (i.e they need to be high end powers, and be similar to the two patterns I am describing below… you can also suggest a new pattern, and I might consider such requests). I cannot promise to implement everything… but, the more details you provide me the higher the chance (especially about other specific instances in the game where they can be used, the easier it will be for me to think… note that this should be for both Genesis and Battle Royale, as the implementations should be done for both…). It is not easy for me to mentally go through the game thinking about how each power interacts with it, so the more you can help me the better! :slight_smile:

Power name: Supernova blast
Type: Fire
Damage: 120
Cost: 250
In combat if you use it you will lose 33% of your HP (!!!). Also, it is slightly slower than a normal blast, so there is a higher chance of your opponent dodging it partially (or completely). Can only be used from round 2 (needs time to gather energy)
Non-combat instances where it could be used: ?

Power name: Plasma outburst
Type: Fire
Damage: 100
Cost: 200
In combat: Much slower than a normal blast, so there is a higher chance of your opponent dodging it partially (or completely). Can only be used from round 2 (needs time to gather energy)
Non-combat instances where it could be used: ?

4 Likes

It’s completely fine, i was just spitballing those, excited to see what’s coming up though!

1 Like

I have ideas

  1. Meteor Strike

200 damage

Costs 350 Points

Can be used in combat, It takes a lot of energy to harness so it takes two rounds to manifest fire into a single meteor. Also, there is a higher chance that your opponent can dodge it because of how slow a meteor is. You also have a higher chance of getting hit if you try to use it, causing you to disrupt your concentration, canceling your attack and nearly having a chance to damage yourself

Can only be used if you have fire powers

  1. Energy Absorber

Has 3 levels (MK3 being the strongest)

Can increase your stats temporarily

10% for MK1, 25% for MK2, 50% for MK3

Costs 100 - 350 Points, 200 - 400 resource points if you want to invent one

Requires 80 - 90% intelligence (on account of now impossible to create with average human intelligence)

Can be used in combat to give you a temporary boost, although there is a chance your opponent can disable your absorbers temporarily. Can only be used for the rest of he battle. Can be used in non combat to either work on your job, or give a stats boost (Like better version of Enhanced Learning Capabilities)

Can only be used if you have Inventor powers and have a Power Armored Suit

  1. Berserker Rage

Increases Strength, Agility, and Endurance but you can’t temporarily control your character

Costs 200 points

Can be used in combat, you are stronger but you cant control yourself due to primal instincts. That means you are more likely to get hit due to your lowered guard

Can only be used if you have animal DNA powers

  1. Future Oversight

Can see into the future

Costs 400 points

Requires 75 - 90% willpower

Can be used before combat to see the outcome of the battle although it takes a lot of willpower so there’s a high chance to fail in the lowest willpower. You can also see what happens next but it takes higher willpower.

Can only be used if you have time or mind powers

  1. Hacking Computer

Can hack into any electronics. (Even Advanced Tech)

Costs 150 Points

Requires 75% intelligence

Can be used in combat and non combat. In combat, you can hack any electronics to either disable their attacks temporarily, use their tech against then, or control them.

Can only be used if you have inventor powers

Note: Hacking computer is a portable device

10 Likes

Hello! So these are my ideas, but I don’t know if they’re good. Haha! Anyways, sorry if they’re some grammar mistakes; English is not my first language.

Power name: Mirage
Type: Mind
Damage: varies
Cost: 430
In combat: Will trick the opponent’s mind into thinking that there are two of you by using illusion; the opponent’s mind will register your clone’s attack(s) as real, thus damaging them.
Risks being hit by the opponent, but doubles the damage of your next attack. (Requires a remarkable psyche)
None-combat instances where it could be used: none

Power name: Astral Spectre
Type: Mind
Damage: none
Cost: 430
Incombat: Can be used only to spectate or talk with the opponent, as it cannot deal damage physically. The opponent also cannot damage you as your real/physical body remain hidden. This may be used as a trap as your real self ambushes the enemy. By using this, you manifest your mind into taking a form similar to yours, thus making your offensive powers weaker than usual as long as you are using this power. (Requires an indomitable Psyche)
None-combat instances where it could be used: This may be used to attend two events at one time. Your clone can not attend missions. Your real/physical form can, but mind powers will be weakened. After your real self had finished that said event, your clone will also come back to your mind, updating you briefly of what happened. You will still get to pick the choices your clone made. (Requires an unearthly psyche)

Power name: Fabrication (Golem)
Type: Earth
Damage: 20 , and endure 60 damage (depends on the situation).
Cost: 300
In-combat Use: the user will summon a golem that can attack or defend. The golem can attack your opponent for 3 rounds before crumbling, as everytime the golem attacks, it also receives damage similar to its damage. The golem will only protect the user when the user failed to dodge nor defend themself. If the opponent’s damage that the golem recieved is equal to or greater than 60, the golem will crumble.
None-combat: ?

4 Likes

Power name: Shadow Barrage
Type: Shadow
Damage: 120
Cost: 400
In combat: The User “melts” into the shadows to sporadically rush towards other shadowy areas as a means to attack their opponent. It requires a High Agility Stat and a High Marksmanship stat.
Non-combat instances where it could be used:


Power name: Portal Creation
Type: Miscellanious
Damage: N/A
Cost: 500
In combat: The user creates a portal that can allow them to move around and avoid attacks. The portals can also be used to redirect objects. Requires Teleportation or have Time as chosen power.
Non-combat instances where it could be used: Allows user to move anywhere they have previously visited.


Power name: Gaia’s Tomb
Type: Earth
Strength: Varies
Cost: 200
In combat: Stones encases the target in a sphere shape. For defense, the tomb can protect the MC for a certain amount of damage based on the Endurance Stat. However, the MC’s Endurance Stat will temporarily drop by 5% every time it is used. For offense, The sphere will contain an enemy on its own for 3 turns.
Non-combat instances where it could be used: ?

5 Likes

Replies, starting from post #1416.

@Darthsoup, agreed about EGHI, and started to add more powers (I added lighning storms, ice storm, and supercold blast, as suggested). I am currently working on v.1.4. which is a major change to the previous version of the game (as it adds the possibility of cheats and the implementation of new powers, but only for playtesters… as I am too afraid I will create massive bugs in the game with them, so I am only considering letting playtesters play with them for the time being)

The discussion of fairmath… yes, I take all points mentioned. Basically, some of the achievements are harder than others, but…well, yes, they are supposed to be achievements and difficult (to be honest, when I code the achievements I am often not certain myself whether they are possible… I even think some should be impossible, so I am then surprised how people manage to get them!). As I have said in the past, I like creating game worlds/systems, not necessarily playing them. So, I create the mechanics, but I am not certain whether certain paths are possible or not (which I find is fun in a way… as in, many people seem to know my games much better than I know them!) :slight_smile:

@Elemental glad you like it :slight_smile: . While I sometimes ask the reader what he/she thinks, I prefer whenever possible not to tell the reader what they should be thinking. If you feel guilty or not is up to you.

@TheJake_Kelly3 @Elemental so far I provide the option to be a “vigilante”, which should be somewhere in between? So, the game will label you as a superhero, vigilante or supervillain. But, is there another term for what you are describing? Mmmmmm

@Pedro_Aires I am reluctant at the moment to let characters improve their main type of ray blast… what would be the logic for something like this happening? As in, currently you can improve your marksmanship (there is a logic to that), which means you will do more damage (by your opponent being less likely to dodge). I am adding more elemental types of power, but I am open to suggestions! :slight_smile:

@Elemental post #1450, hopefully in part 3 something like this will happen :slight_smile:

@Lonehero and, since my last reply to you, thinks clearly didnt go according to plan, as I am only now getting to this!

@Darthsoup regarding Catalina, what is your psyche? She has a relatively decent psyche of 20, so if your psyche is low she will react negatively to what she perceives could be an intrusion.

@TheJake_Kelly3 added two more powers to water. Let me know how this feels, when you get to play it!

@Darthsoup corrected the bug you identified in post #1466. About the bug you reported in #1473, is there any chance you could send me some screenshots? It seems you may have found a major continuity bug, though I am not sure at which point does it exactly happen…

@tbs9090 for taking over the world you definitively have to wait until book 3! :wink:

@Chicken_Stripz I certainly don’t have it sorry, despite it being my own game…

@YuleKitten started to add more powers (in reply to post #1502). However, reluctant at the moment to add more to telekinesis and mind powers, as I feel (as indicated also by others) that this set is rather well developed compared to other powersets?

@Kulkan_Erdenet unfortunately I haven’t even started working on that yet… hopefully during the summer break…

That brings me to post #1515. I have sent this to CoG for the time being, and will later work on other power suggestions. Basically, I want to first see that the new changes I make aren’t massively breaking something…

Powers added so far:
-plasma_outburtst_blast
-supernova_blast
-lightning_storm
-ice_storm
-absolute_zero_blast

Things to do:
-Write second EGHI story

7 Likes

Nice i really like the idea of cheat codes, heres one i would like to see.

Cheat title: jacked
Effect: all stats maxed

3 Likes

Learning how to better use your powers, for example.

A fire user could make the particles to move faster, generating more heat, or if we don’t want to enter physics department, we could just he’s concentrating more energy in one point making the fire hotter (changing the flame color and so), concentrating a big fireball in a really small fireball and letting it explode at once, to generate a big boom.

Water user, could get better at making things colder, or making the water jet faster, or more pressurized to make more dmg

Earth users, same idea, but it would be a defense oriented concentration, but he could make a really hard bat, or a cage.

Wind users, make it faster, so fast that one vacuum blade would appear, then faster, and 2 would appear, and so on

Shadow user name would be eviroment dependent to make more dmg, but he would get a almost infite potential in dark place, he could move faster, create wall, cages, weapons, everything from shadows, but in light place he would get less shadows and less powerful.

Light users, same as shadow, but instead of getting solid objects like weapons from the power, they would get explosive powers similar to fire users, more light, more power. (Shadow would be more melee focused and light more ranged focused).

Psych would get dmg proportional to the will stats (20+will) or something like that.

I really can’t think about time powers.

All the power could be unlocked with train, for example, we can’t say a wind user who didn’t got the fly power, at the start, would never learn how to fly by himself, right?

Everything would be the same as technology, but instead of using parts, it would be something else, like use more time, a mechanic would need only parts and 1 slot of free time. A power user would need 2 slots of free time to unlock a new Power. (It could also be training materials and 1 slot of free time)

That is my ideia, you can use some parts of it, or none of it, only suggestions :).

Ps: ranged attacks (like rays) would all get the marksman bonus, same with melee.

6 Likes

The thing with implementing cheats is that, when the player is using them, they will need to feel like they are actually cheating. There is really no point in implementing Cheat Codes, if it doesn’t feel like the player is actually cheating. However, this is purely optional and it literally disable all kind of achievements. When it comes to cheating, I think the author of Breach: The Archangel Job is spot on with those. The codes allows you to max out all your stats, but they disable all forms of achievements. If you really want to save yourself a lot of trouble, you can also simply implement some kind of master code, that will allow you to open up a cheat menu. This way, you do not need to implement tons and tons of codes.

After reading back a few posts, it looks like you have satisfied us cheaters quite heavily. Looks like my advice would not be needed. Well done once again.

10 Likes

One thing I didn’t like about the intelligence power was that we could either go batman or ironman, maybe a blend of both with the suit integrated weapons and all that stuff, but I was expecting we could be something like generator rex and blue beetle, as in they are living technology, a technomancer in all its rights, let’s say we could make a hero suit that’s bio-mechanic, so it does not need to be given computational instructions but it rather functions on your thoughts alone, so it responds immediately and for example you could make gigantic blades out of your suit(your arm becomes the blade) or you could make a mechanic shield using both your arms, develop mechanic wings out of your shoulder blades, turn your arm into an energy cannon etc… basically turn yourself into a cyborg with way more imaginative options and given your intelligence, no drawbacks as in the second book, for speed purposes you could maybe develop a vehicle, or do something like ishida does in boku no hero as in he can span nitro tubes from his arms and legs so he can move faster using instant acceleration, a good example of what I’m talkinf about would be the anime inuyashiki or alita battle angel

4 Likes

i might have missed something but why is there no option to be a vampire in battle arena was that removed for any reason

1 Like

Nice it’s good to see someone else who likes generator rex and battle angel alita, those series are definitely underrated, i also like the idea of armor that responds to thought that idea has been in my head for awhile too, but i was thinking more along the lines of the mjolnir armor in halo than i was blue beetle, but any of them would be awesome additions to the game. :slight_smile:

4 Likes