Help for Fielder's Choice

Yeah I haven’t really figured out the athletic pitcher build but I’ll continue to mess around with some stuff and I’ll let you know. Mostly I just want to find an effective and fun strategy that isn’t me walking/or letting the batters get hits like 80% of the time and still being hailed as a good pitcher when it feels like the opposite.

3 Likes

I haven’t finished my first playthrough yet and I know next to nothing about baseball, but so far I feel like I’m playing misery simulator, lol. I went for fastball/changeup char build focusing on velocity with very little luck. I’m most likely doing something wrong, but with each season the strike percentage seems to be shrinking more and more all the while ERA gets higher.

I’ll need to come up with an effective strat, otherwise it’s not a fun newb-friendly experience.

5 Likes

Just played the demo, and I doubt I will buy it. Because I HATE luck based games. In the demo, I felt my choices didn’t matter and that my control over the story was often minimal.

Oh, and the coherence too. I’m being praised, yet I didn’t do anything special. It felt like ‘tell, don’t show’ to me.

5 Likes

I bought the full game and personally I didn’t like some of the scenes in the game because as it was mentioned before, it takes out the control out of your hands in some parts. However I’m curious if anyone managed to get at least 170-200 strikeouts? The most I was able to get was about 158

I’m a Phillies fan so my favorite pitchers are Cole Hamels and Roy Halladay. So I went with the 3 pitch with control route. All I cared about was winning a championship which I did twice, no awards though. I think I was way overthinking things at times though. You can’t really choose where to throw which is important in reality. Even things like backing a person off the plate weren’t really an option, just the waste pitch which I used only once the whole game. Also, the descriptions of the batters were interesting but didn’t play much part in the actual minigame? For instance, in reality the slider would be more effective against heavy swinging power hitters. Or there was a player that exclusively bunted so throwing your best breaking ball or a high fastball would be great here (also bunting foul with two strikes would be an automatic strikeout but that didn’t happen in my game). I think maybe having more options like this would help the game from feeling like a luck based game.

Plus, taking the game out of my hands was kind of annoying. I was in a game 7 two outs championship scenario with a man on 3rd base. I ended up walking the batter which really shouldn’t be a game ending thing. In fact, many coaches will intentionally load the bases in this scenario so they can get an out on any base on a ball in play. But instead of letting me pitch to the next batter, it was just assumed that I lost? Why? I wanted that 3rd championship dammit :frowning:

Just little more intuitive things like that I thought would go a long way. I know I’m a baseball fanatic though so it might be difficult to translate all that into something everyone could understand. Also, the romance was pretty pointless, which is a little disappointing considering the potential. Rilvalry romance with a fellow pitcher, romance with the catcher/battery mate? But it just felt like it was tact on at the last minute.

Sorry, I know I sound pretty critical of the game. I did really enjoy it and I’m probably gonna replay it as a fastball pitcher. There’s just so few of sports games of this variety so I was hoping for a little more.

3 Likes