Has anyone tried out the VN IF games such as Choices: Stories You Play?

they did! one of the posts in the thread talked about it and someone asked to clarify so i answered. :slight_smile: not sure if anyone could still access the servers though!

Well it really sucks that apps with potential like originals and even StoryScape get shut down and leave us with the defaults (choices/episode). Makes me wonder if choices/Episode is like some kind of IF mafia that takes down other IF that could be better than them :shushing_face:

@PoppyGloria there’s also a new one called fictif! it’s still fairly new and doesn’t have much stories to offer yet, but from what i’ve played it’s got some pretty interesting stuff. they’re from the creators of the arcana and lets you choose your character’s pronouns. :slight_smile:

[edit: it wouldn’t let me reply to you directly so i had to mention you, sorry!]

2 Likes

Oh I love the Arcana stories, I like how the main character doesn’t actually have any artwork, I can just picture what they look like, makes it better in my opinion. I haven’t read all the paths, but so far and this might be unpopular opinion, but my favourite route might just have to be Lucio. (Awful I know) :flushed:
I also had a look at the Fictif app, like you said, still seems fairly barebones but shows some promise I think. :grin:

But more on topic, as for the choices app, I downloaded it a while ago and it hasn’t been mentioned yet I think but my favourite story and one of their best, again in my opinion, would be “Endless Summer” The story is a little kooky but the characters are fun and the art style is nice, quite comic like. It adds to the charm. They don’t seem to use that style in any of their other stories, bar one I think.

@derekmetaltron
Endless Summer gives the player the option to choose their character’s gender, it’s the only one of their stories I’d say I really enjoyed and was happy to pay a bit of cash for. The customisation options are rather limited, for the first book at least, but the RO’s are nice. Just my opinion. Don’t want to spoil the story, but I’d recommend if you wanted to give the app a try, try that one. :grin:

5 Likes

So which of the games on Choices would people say are best for straight male players (romance or otherwise)? I guess I could give it a try regardless…

Books that let you play as a male are limited, but the best are probably the Endless Summer action-adventure series (the art style is kind cartoonish and takes some getting used to, but it’s one of the most beloved series), the It Lives horror/action series (It Lives In The Woods and the sequel It Lives Beneath), and Blades of Light and Shadow (basically the choices version of DnD).

2 Likes

Thanks! Trying ES now and will probably play a couple of the others when I finish Book 1. Don’t mind going slow if it means getting a better story with the crystals… Blades does look interesting so I probably will try that next.

1 Like

the elementalists also lets you choose your gender as far as i know, gives major harry potter-esque vibes, and it’s got a pretty enjoyable story, plus an array of fun characters.

high school story also lets you choose your gender, and while k haven’t tried it yet, i heard that it’s been greatly praised by the players too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

High School Story is a really good game, it’s also clean so you can play it with anybody.

2 Likes

@TheOfficer: nice, i’ll try and play that next!

also forgot to mention hero and veil of secrets which are both highly praised by the choices community and also lets you select your gender. they’re both pretty fun reads, even if they’re on the fairly short side:)

Endless Summer Book 1 has been decent so far, though I did elect to be hypocritical enough to spend £5 once for some diamonds. Still wish they would go for a system more like the one COG has but I guess for their audience it’s not especially cost effective. 8 free diamonds a day probably means either a lot of waiting and stop and starts or else surrendering to the greed. :sweat_smile:

I liked open heart. The first one was very good and the 2nd one got better. It kinda bugs me that you can bang everyone and there is no one even mentioning it. No jealousy. The Queen B game was SO GOOD! I did pay or that one and I don’t regret it.

I prefer romance club. There are more consequences to your actions and you could play the game for free. Just press the app once a day and after a certain number of days you get 6 gems just by logging in, no advertisement. It builds up.

1 Like

Found this, seems to include all the books in Choices that allow for a male character as well as a female character.

2 Likes

Endless summer is my favorite choices book. I will forever love the group in ES.

3 Likes

Have any of you played the Cliffhanger app?

This one?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hypebits.android.thriller&hl=en&gl=US

And to reply to the main question. Yeah! So many IF, so little time! Lovestruck is my favorite because, despite my problems with Voltage as a corporation, there’s a lot of racial and gender diversity and the writers are incredible. I got pulled into Choices by Desire and Decorum ( :heart_eyes:Annabelle :heart_eyes:) , but trailed off after a glitch erased all my progress. I loved piano wife Celina Winters and publishing wife Ivy in Would You Date? - Love Tangle and Guard Me, Sherlock! was hilarious. Ummm, what else…oh! Arcana is GORGEOUS. Chapters is like…a mixed bag? I like the LGBTQ books (“Heart of the Ocean” and Mr. & Mr. Smith own my entire butt), enjoy the no holds barred romance (Duke and the Domina, anyone?), acknowledge it is expensive BUT there are a lot of free ways to earn in-game currency, and think it’s a great way to explore romance tropes to figure out what you like.

…this is the first time I’ve listed out all the romance apps I play/have played and my goodness, that is A Lot. :sweat_smile: :joy:

1 Like

In my opinion their endings tend to be very predictable and almost linear and I hate the fact that you have to pay to enjoy their books.

2 Likes

ah sorry! I didn’t get to reply to your question bc I hadn’t opened the forum in a couple days. but I believe someone else beat me to it!

@aranea and yes they’re still accessible! or at least I hope so, last time I checked was a very long while ago. it doesn’t require any in-game payment since before it was cancelled, they gave out a very large number of diamonds and all the choices’ cost became like, one diamond? which is pretty cool, it’s only sad that they didn’t get to finish the stories that were still going. I was very invested in so many. : (

Annabelle is one of the best MC along with Hana.

Lovestruck is also my personal favourite and the only one i would/am going to spend money on.
Vivienne is love :heart_eyes:

Have you tried Stories? Dear Diary is pretty good, but i feel like that app only does a new chapter every month

1 Like

lovestruck is also my favorite visual novel, the fact that you can select a love interest and follow their route for free without having to pretend to like other people sells it for me, plus free CGs. the arcana was good but I thought it was too long and repetitive.
edit: oh my god, I miss storyscape and originals.

1 Like