Guns Of Infinity; Romance?

Did you also choose to go to her tent before the battle and afterwards ask about Garret?

1 Like

Ah yeah found that out soon after. At first I thought it was a wasted action.

1 Like

I can’t stand the character of Katarina at all. Thank goodness she wasn’t the only RO option.

1 Like

Does Welles prefer you do the flanking charge or reinforce the unit with guns?

I would like to help but i didn’t romance Welles yet… perhaps you could try both and replay ?

That’s what i did when i want to know an outcome , i restart and replay many times :wink:

With the flanking charge, she will comment on it and how good you execute it depending on the discipline of your unit

With the reinforcing, you have the option of following her lead or not, either nicely or not.

Either way, considering you can declare your love to her before 2K, I sense her affection to you will be quite high.

2 Likes

I think if MC follow her lead… Welles approval should be very high since MC should be the only male officer that willing to acknowledge her ability :slight_smile:

1 Like

Either way, I wouldn’t know. You can check the code to see the exact increases.

So declare your love before 2K and then reinforce. If you saved one unit and have the int score you can hurt the antari bad and if you dont just say f it and charge (the outcome is only different if you save a unit) that should be the best result as long as you follow her lead.

Considering how similar Kat is to Caz I wonder if she is capable of real love.

Welles sure gives off an earnest feeling of love toward the MC despite the shorter experiences between them in comparison to kat.

Considering both of their stations and characteristics I wonder which one would be best?

Kat seems like she has connections/wealth/rank but she is so manipulative and controlling I feel like the relationship would be fake and options limited despite the connections given due to her agenda unless your agenda runs the same. Marrying her seems easier considering how far you can go with her in guns and her manipulating the Cortes vote.

Welles seems like she could provide wealth/rank and some connections (but not as many due to her movement for women and military reform which has many enemies) but the relationship would be real and true even if you disagree with her (because she is with you and not using you). Marrying her would likely be a slight challenge in terms of Cortes votes.

A betrothed would be interesting with getting to know another character but very limitingnin finances rank and connections.

Which romance do you think will be best in the coming Lords of Infinity and why?

5 Likes

Numerous people have expressed your concern about Kat. Personally, I don’t think her temperament extends to quite the same lengths as Cazarosta, as her societal constraints have been of a different nature. While being a woman in Tierran society carries its own disadvantages, being deathborn carries a severe stigma, and I think despite their similar icy attitudes, this is reflected in the depth of their emotional isolation.

As for the difficulty of marriage, the author himself has commented on the misconception that marriage is an end goal — that such a union is better thought of as a beginning. You mentioned that with Kat, there would be concerns of manipulation, but it’s important to remember that Welles has agendas of her own. Keep in mind that for Welles to reciprocate interest, you need to share a similar stance with her.

With this in mind, any working partnership with either of them in an official capacity (such as the institution of marriage), will be just that — a parternship, rather than a tool to be used to serve the MC’s interests. Thinking otherwise would put the MC in the same position that many fear about Kat — that any affection is a ruse and the real goal is utility. Furthermore, it would likely take a toll on the relationship itself.

Beyond this, both Kat and Welles have suitors of higher station than the MC, meaning that to even be eligible for an formal union will take a toll of its own.

With all this in mind, I’d say the bethrothed still carries the first consideration while foregoing the hassle of the second. It’s true that she doesn’t have the resources the others do, but she no doubt will have ideas of her own about what she wants politically or for your shared household (though I can’t soeculate what they may be). However, you needn’t go very far to try to secure a marriage with her.

I’d say that there isn’t really a best option, per se More up to personal preference if seeking emotional attachment or what your MC wants out of an alliance, if more pragmaticall-minded.

4 Likes

I wonder if sleeping with Lady Katrina in 10a has any dire effects in the future, such as her becoming pregnant with a bastard and either holding it against you to keep you in line or to convince you to be hers should you pursue other women or caz gets angry about it, or you take a hit socially for having a child out of wedlock.

I wonder if she is turned down/asked to wait, if she would have someone in camp be a potential “witness” to you forcing yourself on her as a method of blackmail.

I mean, if your MC is fully committed to pursuing Kat from the start and you sleep together she seems very genuine no matter which way we go in our following conversations. However, she is a calculating woman who GETS what she wants, one way or the other, and if the MC chooses to keep his options open or pursue someone else I see her having at least something to try to bend the MC to her will or suffer without some extraordinary honor/intelligence and relations with other people.

@Cataphrak, Wang seems to be a very hardcore realist and I feel like this would add some serious drama whether you court her or not.

Lastly, I noticed in the code an Elson romance variable. I have not noticed a romance option thus far, so I imagine that is for female MC or Elson had a sister/brother we may court in Lords?

@poison_mara
I completely agree that that would be messed up for an MC to do and I am sorry about your horrible experience.

If the MC sleeps with her and then finds out about the plan and takes her as a manipulative monster and breaks up with her then it would be fair game to pursue other women and depending on whether her feelings were real or not she may or may not take action against you or to win you back.

If the MC stays with her no matter what, then your point about pursuing other women being bad and thus she would be righteous in her retribution is a good one. However, it could be argued that an entire 2 years go by and she never writes you any letters. Her invitation at the end to look her up could be viewed as being polite or even further manipulation. A complete lack of mail could be only 1 of 3 things.
1: she doesn’t want anyone knowing about your relationship during the war other than professional, but I feel like she would have explained that at the end (unless it was her brother’s presence that stopped her).
2: + she became pregnant and didn’t know how to tell you or didn’t want to distract you or - was setting up for future positioning/blackmail, again, possibly not telling you due to Caz being present.
3: she did not care for you one lick and only was polite at the end to keep from burning any future bridges.

2 and 3 could be excellent backdrops to her using that night together as a possible way to keep you in line as a future tool or to ensure you pursued her and no one else.

2 Likes

We have to remember that court politics back in the Medieval/Renaissance/Industrial revolution eras was very cut throat and heroes and nobles were often constantly in a battle of behind the scenes maneuvering or blackmail, ESPECIALLY women of power, since they usually could not lead men to war or it was improper for them to fight. This combined with Caz’s demeanor, her close kinship to Caz, her in depth high level and effective involvement in royal intelligence makes me both really like her and also feel very wary and cautious with her.

This is why I tend to lean towards Welles, since she has demonstrated “normal” noble politics and maneuvering but is very earnest/honest/and open with her opinions, and desires/appreciates the direct approach of equality and combat over the old school politics.

3 Likes

For me it is not about who is better to use for rank, although that ALMOST has to be a minor consideration for any responsible noble.

For me, my MC is intelligent and calculated and while he really likes both Katrina and Welles, he has to take into account their background and actions to choose which one to pursue. Everything considered, I feel much safer putting my back to Welles in a marriage/relationship than Katrina’s. I feel like the MC would always be questioning her actions and she would likely always rely on his trusting her and not knowing the details. This is why, I raised those questions earlier about the potential of her using that night in your tent against you one way or another in the future.

1 Like

This is true, and I have seen some of it, although MOST of it follows along the lines of my thinking, some of it is inexcusable. But hey, to each their own, this is a game.

To be perfectly fair, our MC doesn’t get the chance to really get to KNOW ANY characters so far. The closest people we know about are Elson, who dies or is captured, Caz who is very very much like his sister concerns wise, your SGT, and your Lieutenants who you interact with on a daily basis. Even those, the author, Wang, has not expanded on their backgrounds or mannerisms. So there isn’t very much to go on characteristic wise thus far. Every relationship outside of those have to be reacted to in a calculated manner for our MC so far.

1 Like

I think both the mc and kata can both be playing each others, i remember in one playthrough her trying to almost blackmail my player to follow her in a what i consider a dishonest path for my mc. So thats why some people want to use her, because the way she want to use the mc at first can make some people despise her, i personally like her but i whould never go to kidnap a woman or child, id rather die. I enjoy welles more because she fight for equality and im a feminist at heart :wink:

I get that and is fair and understandable. my problem is with machismo comments I will bang shit of her steal her lands and then dump the bitch in a dumpster… i will teach that bitch what a real men is … I will make her my … until she will be my slave…

That’s the censored versions. And some macho bullsjit that makes me angry. Thankfully this Forum is really an oasis… But there is a HATRED to anything resembling a strong female character that is scary.

Also sorry the vocabulary is just to proof the point about how internet behaves

5 Likes

No worries, i understand, for what is worth what i most liked of kata is precisely that strong woman vibes, manipulative and smart though when she tryed it on my mc… Thats another story haha
I dont like people using what others feels againts them, that is really cheap. Welles though seems more open minded and really acept the mcs perspective if he is respectfull. I guess in the end is how we see each npcs, someone may disagree with me in this and is fine. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

To be fair, if I recall correctly, Welles does not take it well (hah) if the MC is an advocate for baneless rights or chooses to “fight old men or old ideas”. She’s more direct than Kat, to be sure, but she’s still very much a political person with her own hard lines and prejudices.

4 Likes