Game File Structure

Not the only reason. It seems COG does something else with their files when they put them on the stores, but if you want to compile a game so you can host anywhere other than Dashingdon’s (or compile it to host on Dashingdons rather than adding individual txt files), they need to be on the scene list. I also ran into a problem just the other day when I realised I’d left off a file on the startup menu so it didn’t run via the local testers packaged with the folder. (Again sounds like less of a problem if you are using CSIDE, but I still use the packaged tools in the folder myself at times, particularly if I’m fiddling around with the source code to include in the games for example.) In the end I guess it depends on what you want to do with the game, but it doesn’t hurt in any way to have the text files listed on the scene_list and in some cases might be necessary.

1 Like

Hmmm. Does that affect randomtest and quicktest? I never thought about that. I am using the IDE for such a long time that I didn’t know about these differences…

I think CJW said it didn’t, it’d only be if you were using the internally packaged testers and run files I’d think.

1 Like

I’ve never had to list all files to test locally using any build of choicescript from 2016 to current. I’ve never used CSIDE, either. I make my games entirely using Notepad++ and the latest public choicescript build. I’m not sure why you’d be experiencing this behavior, but I assure you I’ve never encountered that issue. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

Actually, I disagree.

You thoroughly test your games, which means I don’t get on you about this.

But in general, all scene files should be in the *scene_list, so that Quicktest will review it. If it’s not in the list, QT won’t review, and there could be hidden bugs.

And the problem with putting *bug at the top of a scene file is that QT will crash on that.

2 Likes

That’s fair.

I didn’t know that QT doesn’t check non-listed scenes. I know Randomtest does, so I assumed QT did as well.

1 Like

I thought QT did all scenes in the folder too!

So would it be a case of using *ending rather than *finish at the end of the final played scene, to avoid falling into non-chronological scene files? Or would that also prevent those scenes getting tested properly?

3 Likes