Function of Achievement Points (Not the Achievement itself)

While achievements in a game act as sort of a reminder of how much and how long a person has played a game, the achievements points themselves possess (as far as I can tell) no function.Now what I would like to see is that maybe the points can be used in the game.For instance, if the MC wants to buy something like a badass weapon that costs 3000 gold, he can buy it using 1000 achievements points.Now with this the MC can use the gold for other stuff and it would act as a sort of reward for getting achievements in a game.

1 Like

I think this features would not be a good design decision. Not only would it be difficult to use, because choicescript does not have a native way to refer to ā€˜number of achievement points user hasā€™ in the code, it would also undermine the feeling of fairness that I get from most choicescript games. All choicescript games I have played so far, if you make the exact same choices, you get the exact same results. Itā€™s fair. What would not be fair is someone who played the game for a while getting a ā€˜betterā€™ result just for playing it repeatedly and accumulating achievements. Furthermore, choicescriptā€™s core appeal is narrative, not gameplay or levelling. Adding non-narrative features can distract from what makes most choicescript games GOOD.

This is my opinion, not an objective fact.

3 Likes

Well if the game just added points to an achievement counter every time one was achieved then it would work, but I agree I do not see the point of it

Iā€™d rather have the achievements open ā€œparadox routesā€ instead of augmenting the routes already open.

1 Like

Agreed with @Crotale on this, though it would be nice for achievements to actually do something instead of justā€¦being there.

1 Like

Achievements are there because some people like to collect 'em all.

If you donā€™t care, ignore 'em.

I think Iā€™d be with Adam. Whether through achievements or getting to an/the/all ending(s), a new game+ of some kind with new content would be nice. But it would be a lot of extra time and effort for a writer. If someone wanted to try it, Iā€™d be all for testing it out and unlockable stuff always feels good to actually unlock. I suppose Iā€™d need to actually see someone try it before deciding if it adds to the game or goes largely unnoticed.

1 Like

With Unnatural, some achievements give you codes that you can use in a new game plus to boost your character. Other than that Iā€™ve not seen any other use for them.

Can a CS game read achievements (theyā€™re permanent, right?) say to allow someone to jump to that place in the game if theyā€™ve passed a specific milestone?

The new game plus codes are coded in the game by me they were there before achievements were added I just made some of the achievements relate to some of the possible codes.

Well donā€™t I feel silly :joy:

@Hanon_Ondricek That would require some extra programming. A game can award the same achievement multiple times, and youā€™d need to place some sort of label with the *achieve in order to go to it with a save. All of the *achievement are stored at the beginning in the startup. However, you can have a code hidden in an achievement that, if typed in, takes you to a certain point in the game- the trouble is that all of the choices made by a player prior to that point are not stored anywhere, so the author would need to code in their own way of creating a save state - and hiding a code in an achievement is not flexible. It would probably be better to simply create a save point the hard way, by creating a separate *create (stat) for every stat and variable up to that point, setting them to = the original stat at that point, and then creating a load point at the -end- of the game rather than the beginning which sets your base stats to = the separate alt stats and takes you to that point in the game.