Fields of Asphodel [A Greek Mythology WIP] [Updated 30 November 2023 - Now Editing for Publication!]

I have a question. When is the first time other characters takes initiative when interacting with you?

2 Likes

Jess,

I found an inconsistency …

I visited Hermes in my second “free time” choice. Prior to that, I witnessed the trial of the Thebian king.

This is what is written as Hermes invites me to go with him to trial:

Emphasis mine.

I think you need a check here to see if a reader has been to the king’s trial or not.

Edit: It actually is a loop to the same content I experienced before, so a check is definitely needed above.

Edit 2: The loop is actually much larger than I thought. Not only is it repeating the court content, it is taking me through setting up my garden again.

3 Likes

That is… very bizarre. Thanks, Eiwynn; I’ll have a look and see if I can figure out what’s going on.

@AstinFamily I believe there are currently one or two such instances; I don’t remember exactly where. At least one of them is Hermes. This, like much of the romance in general, will pick up more in the next chapter.

6 Likes

This was so good now I’m sad I can’t read more yet XD

4 Likes

When I got the end of the current demo I was a little surprised. I was so hooked I didn’t even realize I was at the end yet xd. I can’t wait to play more

2 Likes

Thank you for the update!
The progression of this story has me wondering whether the story will have multiple books or will it just be one book?

The plan is for a trilogy, yes!

16 Likes

Hi! Finally played the update! And it was great as always!
And finally getting a job, yay!
Just as with every update, the descriptions are so vivid and fascinating, I love it.

Some small issues I had, be it code or simply choice options I wished were present:
  • When meeting Hades:
    When he asks for MC’s name, the last option is labelled as a “flirt” one, but it doesn’t add to his flirt counter, from what I see in the code, which may cause issues if you need to keep track of how many flirt oriented options were selected.

• MC wanting to go home:
    I have noticed in the code this time around that when the MC and Hades talk about the possibility of the MC not going back to Olympus even if the arrangement is broken at some point, that if the MC firmly says they don’t want to go back, it doesn’t change the variable related to that. My MC’s starting opinion was “maybe”, but then he realized just how happier he is in the Underworld, so I assume the variable should change? :thinking:

• When the MC receives letters from Olympus:
    It would be nice to be able to tell Demeter not to try and get them out of the Underworld without it being a hostile letter. The MC can still be polite with her but still wish to stay, right?
    Generally speaking, I wish there was a possibility to say more in both letters, like the fact MC is happy in the Underworld, what they think of Hades or the other deities there and so on.
    For this one, I know there is another opportunity earlier to write opinions, but I seemed strange not to be able to do it now if it wasn’t done before. Or really, even if it WAS done before, considering MC’s opinions could have changed.

Aaand I think that’s it! Can’t wait for more! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

We will see in future update if the stay in the underworld does something for the health of the MC? After all the mc is a god of life and plants and the underworld isn’t really full of them. We may be changing slowly the underworld but at the same time the underworld should do something to us. Maybe the mc should start to fell weak or something.

Hades seems a little too accommodating for that much of a lapse in control over his domain. :thinking:

I was sorta expecting something similar, but more likely it would have to be if someone directly tried to harm the MC in some way. Such as making sure they eat underworld food “by accident”, rendering them more vulnerable to the realm’s effects. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the one causing the current river drama was being roundabout in targeting the MC, but not everything in the underworld necessarily revolves around Zeus’s shenanigans. If this was happening in response to the MC ‘changing’ the underworld, then I see it as them feeling threatened by what the MC might represent if they were allowed to stay, instead of being sent back.

3 Likes

Doesn’t the food make you one of the underworld? SO technically eating one will make you less sick for being in the underworld but at the same time making you unable to leave the underworld? And even if Hades has been the most accommodating host, the underworld is another thing. For example, I’m a cold person. I spent most of my life in cold environments. And once was invited by some friend in south Italy for summer. Let me tell you. That was my underworld, they were accommodating so my staying was pleasant, but damn the place made me soo uncomfortable. Thankfully they had the AC at home and I used it, I slowly “changed” the place to make it more cold but at the same time by making the place more confortable it was painfully to go outise with the sudden change in temperate.

2 Likes

There is why thing I absolutely don’t get… Why would I toggle of a free will from an Npc… I mean If he does his own thing and takes the initiative it makes them alive and like u said it benefits the character… Why is this a choice. If an Npc is alive or at least give me the impression to be its a good thing. I don’t need a dull Robot here

What?

Some people are really unconfortable with ROs taking the initiative, because they want to control anything romance related - not saying it in a derogatory way, btw.
I’m not one of them, but some people are, and it’s nice to have the choice. Usually, if there is no choice, then there is NO NPC agency at all, because the authors prefer to default to “all on the player’s account”

7 Likes

Start the game and look at the very first choice

YOU can choose Between ‘’ let the Npc take the initiative’’ and the opposite of it
Why is that a choice?
As a reader where is my benefit of Having Npcs who don’t take the initiative?

Ah okay I see thx for the explanation here I mean I’m clearly one of the Readers who apriciates Npcs with a Good character who act for themselves if I have to much control… Well let’s say Im a person who likes to be surprised even if that means A so called ‘’ Friend ‘’ betrays me if you get what I mean… I have to admit it I think I read a Demo a decade before so it’s was a long time ago. Just wanting to re read it for proper feedback

1 Like

No problem! I understand it may be confusing for us who prefer to have RO agency in that regard, but I can also understand the other point of view, knowing people who are like that. You don’t really control what you don’t like or what makes you uncomfortable, after all! It’s nice that the author goes as far as adapting to all playstyles in that regard.

9 Likes

Ahhh!!! I wish I hadn’t played the demo because now I’m going to be on tenterhooks waiting for the rest! This is so good!!

2 Likes

Ahhhh totally the same!!! Spent a whole day going through this demo and now……
mmexport1591514577844
Take a look at my phone: Ok no update it seems
One hour later: let me have another look just in case
Several hours later, take out my phone again: what if…?

–>Typically what happens when I find a work I really really like()

11 Likes

And of course I just had to choose the Moirae option on my first play, and now I’m stuck wondering which stat it will alter and what exactly I will be doing with them! Lol. Oh well. Being excited is a nice problem to have I suppose.

5 Likes