Fan Games and Fanfiction

It is that way in Europe as well and in most of the world.

3 Likes
  1. The world isnt the USA alone. 2) I did say UNLESS…UNLESS it’s online. If I’m writing a fanfic about MArio Bros, or any of those guys who are against fanfic. How would they know if it just sitting in my room ? How?

well yeah . But again, the discussion here was about IF the owner want to do something and IF again the writer who wrote the fanfic try to benefit from said fanfic.

But outside of legal issues, there is no way in hell an author can know I’m in my basement making Darth Vader smooch Luke Skywalker .

Sure, the chances of an author actually finding out about you doing this are close to zero, lol. But interestingly, some authors even forbid DnD campaigns and the like from being run based on their games, even though those campaigns would presumably never leave the room in which they were being run. It’s always up to the fanfic writer in question to take that gamble if they decide to share their work with anyone–online or not–but if the copyright holder has forbidden it, it’s still technically violating “the law,” haha.

3 Likes

yeah I know that. But the way Mara phrased it, it sounded as if the author could sue you…cose OMG! You were thinking of my characters!!! inside your head! That’s copyright!!!

I’m aware that if you write a fanfic and put it online, and unless you did your homework and the author has a green light. There is a risk.

My question now is : how come fanfic.net is up and running?

1 Like

Honestly, I know other points were being made but I wasn’t even going into the legality of denying an author the ability to comment or take action about a fanfic based on their creation. I was just coming at it from the standpoint of how incredibly entitled and rude it would be to say such a thing to the person who gave your idea form in the first place. Ignore the fact that fanworks basically exist through the original creator’s implicit or explicit permission and just think about how it is to take someone else’s building materials to build your own house and then accuse them of trespassing if they set foot on your property.

8 Likes

This was an interesting read, especially for someone with a slightly ballooning fandom…

As someone who is pretty active in their own fandom and actively has tried to bring it together, it’s a ride. When the fics started dropping in I read them, because I was so curious to see what others made of my world and my story. As they increased in numbers (holy crap, just looked and there are 593 on Ao3 right now, and that’s not counting all the tumblr specific ones) that quickly became impossible. Do I still read some? Yes. There are a few authors I follow, talk to, is excited about and occasionally feed with behind the scenes spoilers if they ask for it. Their stories are heading different places than mine, so it’s all good.

There are some RIDICULOUSLY good writers out there that I look forward to hype the hell out of once they release original content.

I do realize that a lot of people are a bit intimidated at being noticed by the author, but I try my best to be supportive. I love to see people playing in my sandbox and what they come up with. There’s a certain energy when the fans collectively decide a thing,and then it becomes a truth of sorts. Will I still sweep the legs out from under them with new facts? Of course.

I think maybe my inspiration is a bit older, what Michael Moorcock did when he allowed other authors to play around in his universe.

That being said, I know this might be unsubstantial if there would be actual big money involved. Then some people get strange. But for now, I’ll enjoy being in the middle of this ever growing mess.

14 Likes

It is sad how Fanfiction is viewed in such a negative light :disappointed: I personally have read some fanfiction from some old fandoms i used to be apart of. NOT ALL OF THEM ARE BAD! i think it is cool how some people can take something they love and makes something different with it. Of course we should respect the wishes of the creator since they have the right to do what they want with what they created but i think it just shuts the door on how creative their fans can be …

1 Like