CYOA Fanfics

Obviously CoG doesn’t publsih fanfic games, but how would you guys feel about one just written for fun? Is it allowed to be on the forums?

Like, I’ve always wanted to write a Pokèmon journey IF and I’d like to use CS to write it, as a side project.

@Sunbean I do not think CoG would be able to publish such a thing (Copyright and all of that mess) and if you were going to do a Pokèmon fanfic you would not be able to add any of the series characters or any of its iconic Pokèmon, so unless you are willing to go through LOTS of legal procedures, you’re gonna have a baaaaaad time.

I know, which is why I asked about just writing one for fun to not be published. :

So long as you don’t try to make money off of it nor attempt to publish it, then I don’t think it’s much of an issue. People make fanfic, fanart, fangames, fan music etc. etc. all the time.

The copyright laws around fan-derived works is a little tricky sometimes. DeviantArt had a pretty good overview in an article a while ago:
http://techgnotic.deviantart.com/journal/Fan-Art-Law-326536193

For the most part, unless a company specifically says that you can’t, you should be fine as long as you’re not making money off of it.

Most wip’s that are made here dont get money so it should be good i think

Why don’t you strip off the serial numbers so to speak and make your own original game?

What is it you like about Pokemon? Why do you want to put all of your time and energy into a fan-fiction game?

Which aspects of Pokemon do you want to recreate?

Can you do it with your own characters?

Pokemon and Digimon both have similar themes and there’s plenty of other games out there where you collect ‘monsters’ and then make them battle against eachother. Even in the Final Fantasy Games you can collect summons to fight.

So think about why you want to make a Pokemon fan-game when you can instead make something that is uniquely yours?

And you could always do a thinly veiled parody game with Soot, his pet Zapmouse and his friend Foggy and how they engage in secret underground pet-fighting contests.

“And you could always do a thinly veiled parody game with Soot, his pet Zapmouse and his friend Foggy and how they engage in secret underground pet-fighting contests.”

@FairyGodfeather
Then it’s just a twisted cock-fighting circuit story. Granted, that’s basically what Pokemon is, but at least with that title attached to it the awful reality of it tends to be hand-waved. :-))

That is true. I guess making something vaguely like Pokémon would be pretty fun, if not a lot of work.

@CS_Closet Well that is exactly what Pokemon’s about, but they faint, don’t die at least. I do think it would be amusing to play a game which starts off seeming Pokemon like and then you get into the dark underground of these poor ‘pokemon’ being forced to battle, being made into slaves. Maybe even a Choice game where you are the ‘Pokemon,’ then it’s a bit like a Gladiator Game, but you’re cute and fuzzy and likely not wearing sandals. Do you become Spartacus the Pokemon and stage a revolt of all the other imprisoned monsters, or do you battle your way to the top in the hope they’ll grant you your freedom, or do you work with your cruel masters and betray your fellow slaves, in the hope once they capture someone else they’ll lose interest in you and set you free. Do you work on enslaving the trainers into magical orbs. How do you escape this hell you live in!

@sunbean I think it’d be less work than just copying Pokemon. If you copy Pokemon once you start you’ve got hundreds of pokemon to include, and ‘evolution.’ I think if you’d find making a pokemon game fun then go ahead and do it.

Well, honestly I write a ton of Pokémon fanfiction and I find it a lot easier than being original.

For a side project, making an original Pokemon-ish game sounds like a bit too much for me. But the concept of a game like this is very interesting, perhaps a world where everyone trains and fights dragons or something of the sort that explores what you can do with so much power in your hands. Perhaps I’ll try something like that after Cabin One…

Everybody loves Dragons! I’d love a raise your own dragon style game.

If you think making a pokemon game would be easiest then you should.

If you make a pokemon game, I would LOVE what is so good about being inside a pokeball…

@FairyGodfeather
But…but…you don’t collect Digimon… Where as one series is about travelling, exploring, and growing up (which never seemed to happen), the other series explores such themes as loneliness, loss, and redemption. I don’t think it’s fair to compare these two series…

@FairyGodfeather
But…but…you don’t collect Digimon… Where as one series is about travelling, exploring, and growing up (which never seemed to happen), the other series explores such themes as loneliness, loss, and redemption. I don’t think it’s fair to compare these two series…

Triple post??? ARRRGH!

Okay, let’s put this the short way: CoG is going to spend most of it’s effort in such things making sure its ass is covered. That means, in any way that is necessary, scrubbing every mention of such things off everything that CoG has access to, if it feels the need to. That reason is simple, it has to. It doesn’t have the option to indulge such things.

So, if you want a clear answer, well, you’re not going to get one. That are just too many things that can change from one fanwork to the next. It may be allowed up on the forum, it may not.

Wait the Digimon don’t fight eachother? I thought they did. Heh, shows how much I remember. They do both ‘evolve’ kind of, right? My memories are hazy. I guess you’re right and it’s not fair to compare them at all.

Maby there is a giant resort in a pokeball

I think Pokèballs lead to an alternate dimension.