Fallen Hero: Rebirth is released - discussion thread! (Book One)

It is amazing how the main character and puppet character can be the same person but have such a different feel to them, and when I become a villain it actually feels like my character is being reborn as somebody else. The story felt much more different.

3 Likes

“Maybe it got lonely without a beard,” is the best dialogue choice I’ve ever been given. I’m still laughing 10 minutes later.

12 Likes

This has to be one of the best ones yet, I mean just wow. The MC is amazing the other characters too. You just feel so connected to the MC, this sense of exhaustion and regret and I just can’t stay away from Ortega. I’m not looking forward to revealing the truth. But I also don’t want to keep the lies up. We just kept telling so many half truths and things with double meanings. I just want to tell Ortega we’re sorry and hug her real tight. Does anyone know if there is a way to not fight with her at the gala? Like just avoid her? That part was so painful. And going to the hospital straight after! Ahhhhh!

And what are we? I get the distinct feeling that we’re not a normal boost. Are we a natural born superhuman? But with a name like the farm probably not. So a clone then? Or a re-gene?

Does anyone know how to get the mirror images achievement?

2 Likes

You get the Mirror Image achievement when you input the same choices for your MC’s physical characteristics when you are creating the appearance of your puppet. Think same eye colour, same hairstyle, etc.

6 Likes

@AgentVerona the easiest way to do that is choosing extra protection and telepathy boosters for your armor, also if you chose to go back to Argent’s brain choose probing her delicately then you will get the chance to leave a weakness there

Okay. Fallen Hero has now been out for two days (depending on where you are in the world) and I am… overwhelmed. I never expected this.

Honestly, I don’t know what I expected. I know the story has had it’s fans, even back when it was a fanfiction project on Livejournal for an unpublished comic book that my partner is writing. It didn’t even have a name back then, just “a supervillain writing experiment”, where I was playing around with concepts and ideas. I think some of those fans are around still, even though it’s been… years and years. A decade? Maybe.

For the longest time it lay on my harddrive, half turned into a novel, then abandoned because I couldn’t figure out how to get at the core of the story I wanted to tell. I knew a lot of it was deeply problematic, but it was also the problematic bits that I wanted to get at.

I didn’t even think about making it into an interactive novel until Choice of Robots went viral on my tumblr dash and I realized that was the way I wanted to go.

But even then I never really thought that other people would connect to it the way some seem to do. Maybe it’s because it is so personal…

More rambling

A lot that goes into that book is things that have been going on in my own head in the past. I tried to put it all in there. The anger at the world. At myself. The hate/love for the people around me that understands but at the same time doesn’t since I never let them in.The destruction and the self destruction. Not feeling at home in your own body, but not knowing what to do instead. Depression. Gender queerness. Suicídal thoughts. The feeling of alienation from the rest of humanity. The sense of the inevitability of it all.

I’ve got some questions whether I’ve listened to a certain expert, or whether I’ve studied psychology. I haven’t. Not unless you count trying to figure out yourself. That I’ve done extensively. At 46, I’ve had a lot of time to make mistakes and try to fix them.

It remains to be seen what path the MC will take…

Another thing that I didn’t expect is that in just two days it would have this many good reviews, nice things said about it, or this many downloads. Two bloody days… I can only see the downloads on the playstore, (1000-5000 after two days), traditionally the app store is the biggest seller for choice of games but there’s no numbers (between #4 and #5 in the roleplaying section). Thes are downloads and not sales, but looking at the Steam achievement stats, it seems that around 70% have so far got through to Step 3, which is after the paywall, which I think is a pretty good ratio. The reviews are favorable, the things people point out they like less, are things I understand and agree with, but which are there for a reason.

In short, I am very happy, which is weird, because I do not trust my own happiness. I have a much easier time being disliked.

So… that being said.

It would be very much appreciated if you’d take the time to leave a review at your platform of choice telling why you liked/disliked the game. I’m not sure how one goes around getting a book up on Goodreads, but I think they have interactive novels as well?

Got no marketing budget, word of mouth is pretty much all I have.

Thank you so much everybody, you have no idea how much your support have meant to me. Thank you.

85 Likes

I’m a little confused about the romance thing.Is Ortega Romanceable?And for my MC or their puppet?

1 Like

both actually, there’s one point where you can turn it into a messed up love triangle

1 Like

I’ve been going through all the choice of games and hosted games trying to order them and I reckon this might just come in at 2nd place. You’ve done a great job.
I think you’re right about the story being so personal makes it easier to connect with. I think it might have to do with how fleshed out the MC becomes. A lot of these games have more blank slate MC which your supposed to mold, which makes sense, these things are supposed to give you choice. But I feel like it’s so much better when we have a mostly pre-stablished MC. I mean basically all my favourite CoGs do this (including samurai of hyuga which takes the top spot). I guess it allows the creator to focus on telling the story rather than giving us choice. You tell us what we’re doing and we just choose how we’re going to do it exactly and how we feel about doing it. I honestly wish more people did it like this, sure some of them work really well at giving you lots of choices and blank slate MCs (e.g. Zombie exodus safe haven) but I feel like some of them just don’t pull it off that well. I also like how the stats page didn’t seem awfully important, I never felt like I needed to keep checking it. Well besides the Ortega relationship stat, gotta get that as high as possible. Once you’ve played a few CoGs if the stats page hasn’t got anything new or different it tends to become rather repetitive and annoying. At least for me.

I was just thinking about names for later books.
Fallen Hero: Rebirth
Fallen Hero: Retribution
Fallen Hero: Redemption???

9 Likes

The title for the third book is Fallen Hero: Revolution :smiling_imp:

51 Likes

Yeah that works as well. But if you ever change your mind feel free to use mine.

It would work very well, but only for about half the players. I get the feeling that there are a lot out there who have no interest in redemption…

25 Likes

But but… Ortega. How could they do that to them. (I’m very attached if you couldn’t tell).

16 Likes

I’m absolutely in love with double-body concept. My MC (I’ll call him Cyrus, puppet is Yasmin) is on the road to redemption, but he’s rolling to clusterfuck of an epic proportions.

He’s reluctantly going along with his plan, yet he couldn’t fight Ortega seriously at the end and just backed off. He’s not killed anyone yet. He’s admitting he has a problem while talking to Ortega. And his love life…

On the one hand, his past crush on Ortega, which he can’t let go of, keeps Cyrus Becker in love with Ortega. On the other hand, his present, Yasmin, is infatuated with pragmatic, sharp and anonymous Dr. Mortum. He keeps both relationships going, all the while Yasmin is friends with Ortega and Cyrus is hated by Mortum for endangering Yasmin. I’ve got high expectations of the second installment, it’s going to be so much fun when his lies unveil.

But on the other hand, my Anonymity stat is maxed, my suit is mysterious, no one knows who’s that villain (I didn’t even give a name to Harald for the sake of anonymity) so Charge might be a bit out of her depth here.

5 Likes

Ortega is precious electrical charge, too good for this world, too pure.

11 Likes

@malinryden Exactly how far into the romance can we go like will the romantic partners move in with or can you get married or something because keeping the plans and everything a secret while the ro is so close to you in my opinion will be a fun and interesting challenge.

Thing is, I’m not sure he needs redemption. At least my Cyrus didn’t kill anyone, and from the glimpses of his past, he’s doing the right thing fighting against whatever, even if his methods are questionable. Reveal, maybe, but so far his worst sins are lies, thievery and some painful but ultimately harmless battles, which is pretty mild as far as villains go.

3 Likes

I’ve beat her by high Manipulation, high cautious and playing safe. MC reads her, leads her a bit then beats her. After I’ve escaped to sewers she followed, though, but I’ve beat her again by doing the same cautious approach and then making her suffocate. Pulled her out of water. On related thought, how do you take something from her as an trophy? I couldn’t.

You need to upgrade your armor strength to get her hair

i know that you need ~60 (65?) arrogance to use Sidestep as name again but does anybody know the actions to maintain a high arrogance? i reach 60s before the fight but it always lowers just when Herald appears.

edit: nvm i was able to do it. Herald’s and Ortega’s reactions were deliciously painful. this save file is so dangerous lol. i look forward to continuing it in the sequels.

9 Likes