Fallen Hero: Rebirth is released - discussion thread! (Book One)

Yep, nothing is locked in forever when it comes to RO’s, just like in real life people can grow closer or apart. You can go from friends to lovers or enemies as your choices dictates it. In fact, I am sitting right now coding the scene where you will have had the option to change the status quo in the months between book one and two…

46 Likes

ok…

Just thought I’d revive my account, I haven’t been on in years, so I suppose everyone can just see me as the newbie.

Just wanted to say I’ve been following this piece of IF since the first post of it and finally at its release I can say it has more than lived up to the hype. Thank you for this Malinryden

`I went into this with every intention of being an all out villain as that is what I love and that is what I did…the only thing is…Ortega, I am so confused. I pummeled him while I was the villain yet I couldn’t resist going to see him in the hospital. I honestly don’t know what I want. I really am a complete villain, manipulating everyone around me and using innocent bystanders as meat shields etc yet I can’t resist visiting Ortega in hospital and holding his hand till he wakes up…‘its complicated’ is a perfect achievement for me

26 Likes

this is a pleasant surprise… honestly, im quite ashamed i can’t do much during betatest (as it turn out it was quite a hectic months for me while i already volunteer myself to do it), im glad the final result/ the released version had turn out to be quite a masterpiece… the prose is so well written i can feel what exactly my MC feel and the epilogue just make me feel anxious and satisfied at the same time… and the hospital scene i didn’t expect the doll and MC can be a rival for Ortega’s Love :heart_eyes: can’t wait for book 2 (i have so many theory for book 2 :crazy_face:)

11 Likes

Still no sign of a Steam release :((

The temptation to read on spoilers is very real though and I think I’ve seen what hell looks like

[Clicking refresh while knowing everywhere else has a copy]

So, having binged-played this multiple times, I have to say, this is one of, if not the finest piece of interactive fiction I’ve played. Especially the MC. Too many IF have a MC who is basically a blank with no real personality to speak of. But Sidestep feels far more real. Tired, bitter and hurt, no matter how you play them, making them a character in their own right, rather than just a stand-in for the player.

And a question for everyone else who has played it so far, Has anyone managed to beat Lady Argent at the gala before retreating to the sewers? I remember you could in the demo if you had 70+ daring and the strength upgrade, but I had 77 daring and the strength upgrade and still wasn’t able to beat her. It’s perfectly possible that the conditions have changed and if so does anyone know what they are? I just want to beat all 3 Rangers in front of the cameras.

7 Likes

First of all, I just want to say that I love part 1 and can’t wait for the next one. While doing my first play through I found a weird sentence. The way it reads to me is that it doesn’t attack inorganic material and only attacks organic. Maybe this was intended and if so disregard this.

1 Like

Not sure how you’re reading it, but to me that reads that they are being reprogramed to attack inorganic matter.

3 Likes

Well its probably just me then, I did read this at 2 in the morning.:grinning: Although the sentence following the highlighted sentence clears it up.

@silent15 I won by Having the jump jets and telepathy boosters, and choosing the options when fighting her that were always go fast or end this quick. I also has Maniplation above 80, which may have helped her fall for the illusion as you escape into the sewers. You don’t knock her out, but you do make her look like an idiot in front of the press and get away scratch free, which the game treated like me beating her

4 Likes

Just so everyone knows, it’s now out on PC!

link to it on Choice of Games’ website

link to Steam page

4 Likes

Asking if I want to set my Romantic interest gender in advance … I guess it’s better than specifying my character’s orientation in game but it feels happy meal Level of cheap. Like it ruins all of the surprise. To the point it makes me want to play Ace even before meeting them. Mecha Ace had a similar option but didn’t specify that it was only the ROs genders you were changing but everyone’s.

It wasn’t there at the start, but a lot of playtesters wanted it there, because they did not want it in the story itself because it pulled them out of the moment. This way I tried to make everyone happy, I am sorry it did not work for you.

5 Likes

Well as long as it makes some people happy ultimately that’s what’s important. So kudos to listening to feedback. I’ll try to give it a fair chance. Even if I do end up playing Ace :wink:

3 Likes

I couldn’t for the life of me remember if I’d played the WIP of this or not, and I’ve been avoiding the discussion thread as to not get spoiled.

But now that I’ve just started playing the released game, I remember playing and loving it, and I am so happy to see it finished! :grinning: :hugs: :kissing_closed_eyes:

@malinryden Just wanted to say that first of all halfway through my first playthrough and I love the editing that you did with the story, feels super polished and I really feel the grit that was somewhat missing in the early demo.

SECOND OF ALL just wanted to point out that you seriously spooked me while I was playing this at 3 in the morning ,cause you changed the puppet’s default name slots to where it now includes my real life name…Seriously I was freaking out ,my sleep deprived ass thought (ironically) the game had read my mind…

13 Likes

For some reason my purchase won’t go through on Amazon. All my other purchases are going through.

What requirements are needed to get the hospital scene as yourself? Trying to ask in a non spoiler way as I don’t know how to blur spoilers. Always been more of a forum lurker than typing!

It’s out on the HG page and I FINALLY bought it! Time to read my eyes out.

(Also, congratulations on the release @malinryden. I’m sure it’s being massively successful, as it very well deserves).

1 Like

Don’t get too hurt in the big fight!

2 Likes