Era 404 (WIP) Updated 10/19

In a world where planned obsolescence effects more than just phones, you’re a courier, a glorified mailman who dabbles in the legal and illegal transport of goods. You’re good at what you do, you know how to mind your own business and ignore the world around you, but when is enough, enough?
You go through life as both victim and witness to the injustices of the world. There’s nothing you can do legally, but that isn’t about to stop you.

Era 404 is a cyberpunk vigilante crime story, with a romantic subplot.

-Play as male, female, or non-binary, and choose your pronouns separately from your gender.
-Customize your appearance, and choose your personality, skills, and cybernetic modifications.
-Get to know the 5 Romance Options, one male, two female, two non-binary.
-Look social injustice in the eye and say not today.

The demo for Era 404 can be found here and was last updated 9/28/2020.
A development blog for the game can be found at era404.tumblr.com
You can find sketches of concepts for the ROs here and here

135 Likes

Not my cup of tea since I’m 100% against genetic manipulation and cyborg limb stuff so couldn’t get pass that but I’m sure others will love your story and enjoy that kind of stuff

2 Likes

Definitely an awesome concept, excited to see what you do with it.

5 Likes

It could be interesting, but you have to develop it right. It’s nice to have three upgrades right off the bat, but… maybe you start too OP? I’d go with giving us max two upgrades

2 Likes

I’m interested so far. I have to admit I did get roped in by the title. I’m also not typically a fan of cyberpunk, but so far this is holding my interest. I think your writing style and/or MC’s narrative do a good job of giving that kind of moody, cynical feeling, but don’t dive too far into it that I get overwhelmed by it? It’s hard to explain, but it’s a good thing. :slight_smile:

I don’t have much to add as far as critique. I didn’t see any typos. About the only thing that stood out to me was that after Jesper’s scene, there was a dash break in the middle of a page that kind of looked off. Otherwise the formatting and typing seemed great from a quick playthrough.

I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this one. Keep it up!

3 Likes

Ohhh we get chromed ? Sign me up!

I come from Shadowrun babeh!! :smile:

It look promising, with alot of potentiel . Though, I admit…I wish we had different race and class lol blame Shadowrun, they spoiled me with those things…Troll + katana+ chromed to the teeths= a blast!

4 Likes

it’s not necessarily op, since the upgrades each only provide a 5% boost. So if upgrades are improvable later in the game it could be perfectly reasonable.

1 Like

I really love the mood and world-state you’ve built up so far. In some weird way it actually feels a bit ‘close to home’ in its vibe. That probably doesn’t make much sense but so far I love everything about this, including your personal style in the writing. Didn’t actually notice any typos or weird phrasing on my first read either. Top notch :grin:

1 Like

Thank you all so much for the feedback! I’m really glad the vibe seems to be coming across well!

There will be a system for upgrading mods in the future, though I may go back through the demo and mention that your current mods are considered very weak, as far as modifications go.

I’m also answering drabble requests and world building questions on tumblr soon, if anyone is interested!

2 Likes

Reminds me of desus ex and Johnny mnemonic put together. Spelling is probably not right. But it does have that feeling. Looking forwards to seeing how all of this plays out.

2 Likes

Like one of the comments above, I’m getting Shadowrun vibes and I love it! :star_struck: I love the characters’ unique appearances, and I like the grittiness of the setting.

Two Small Suggestions
  • Could we possibly get the blurbs about what the genetic mod looks like when we choose the pre-existing two at the beginning? And maybe an option to confirm that that’s the mod we have? I played a few times just to see the mod descriptions.
  • Also, maybe we could have choices about how we modded our bike?

Really looking forward to updates on this; I’m hooked!

3 Likes

Looks pretty dang great so far. Gotta love some good cyberpunk :3

2 Likes

Updated as of 10/2/20!

3 Likes

Really like the feel and setting so far, am interested to see more, will bookmark and follow for updates.

1 Like

you know i adore the vibes of this :pleading_face: i’ve always had a soft spot for cyberpunk and you’re pulling off the genre so well !! one of my fav parts is definitely the mc’s insights into the world affects the worldbuilding, if that makes sense – it’s not just dry exposition, but builds it up in a nice and cohesive way instead ! can’t wait to see more :heart:

2 Likes

Small update!

• Started writing chapter one
  • Spend some one on one time with Bones and Jesper
  • Added the ability to mod your motorcycle
  • Added unnatural hair colors to the customization choices
11 Likes

Keep creating. Good Luck with it, and look forward to seeing what you have to offer us.

2 Likes

Honestly this was a great read! Helped cure some of my boredom on my long car ride home :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::+1:

1 Like

Small update today!

• Progressed the plot
  • Finished up Bones’ one on one scene
  • Added some fun new variables which may or may not come back to haunt you later :wink:
13 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the @moderators.