*else statement within choice

Hello again. The *else statement inside this choice:

> *label hug
> Maybe you should show the goo your love for it.
> *choice
>   #Yes, I should. I give it a great big hug.
>     *set Evil -10
>     *set Health -5
>     *if Health <= 0
>       *gosub_scene dead
>     *else
>       *goto hug2
>   #Having my own pet dragon goo is nice, but it's a hopefully useful travelling companion, not a friend.
>     *goto leave
>   #No, I give it a kick. It should know who its master is and learn to obey.
>     *set Evil +10
>     *goto leave

Gives this error:

Error: chapter3 line 1035: It is illegal to fall in to an *else statement; you must *goto or *finish before the end of the indented block.

I can’t seem to figure out why, though. If I’m not mistaken I can solve this by going to a separate label after the choice first and performing the Health check there, but is it possible to make the *else statement work within the choice?

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure but the reason it is not working could be that use of gosub as a goto or finish command is required to start a else command

You could try this

*if health <= 0
    *gosub_scene dead
*if health > 0
    *goto hug2

Error: chapter3 line 1037: It is illegal to fall out of a *choice statement; you must *goto or *finish before the end of the indented block.

Is what it says now. Line 1037 is the second choice.

I think it’s the indentation messing things up. Try aligning the *goto leave commands with *goto hug2, maybe?

*goto is not indented correctly in second choice

Every *if/*elseif/*else within a choice needs a *goto command. In this instance, I believe *gosub_scene is what’s causing you trouble. It’s going to run the subroutine, come back, and have nowhere to go. Try:

>     *set Evil -10
>     *set Health -5
>     *if Health <= 0
>       *goto_scene dead
>     *else
>       *goto hug2

The alternative is to rework your labels a bit and have something like:

>     *set Evil -10
>     *set Health -5
>     *if Health <= 0
>       *gosub_scene dead
>       *goto ending
>     *else
>       *goto hug2

You just need to make sure you have a *goto in there.

Thank you, it passes quicktest now. I had just changed it to a *goto label that sends you to the dead scene file instead, but this is more efficient.

Before you edited I also thought of that, I used the *gosub command wrong: dead.txt is a dead end/early end in the game and ends with a *ending. There’s no reason for it to return. And if it had been a gosub_scene with the intention to return, I should use a separate label to *goto since it can’t return in the middle of a choice. If I’m not mistaken.

Anyway, thanks to all three of you.

@DesmundGrimsted mark this thread solved to avoid inconvenience of other forum users

It could return. It’d just need a *goto at the end. :yum: Like…

*choice
  #Run over yonder!
    [I'm running, yay!]
    *if trait = "observant"
      *gosub_scene observations running
    *goto NextScene
  #I'm walking.
    [I'm walking... d'aw.]
    *goto NextScene

*label running [Within observations.txt]
[Something special to be seen while running!]
*return