Effect of gender choice

Notice one gender is great. The problem is HOW normally is doing in a way that emphasize sexism or other stuff that goes into embarrassing moments like Oh is a female so I will say a lot of stereotypes to look cool. Normally Women’s are appraised based upon physic and being shy and submissive. Many games here call me princess without pc being a princess other assume I use heels and make up and i blush like a nun etc. …
I prefer no reference to always do reference wrong.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if I didn’t communicate effectively. I’m not saying I want a game full of sexism. I’m also a cis-gendered woman. I know exactly the kind of discrimination you’re talking about in the real world. A lot of the time. Most of the time. The bullies, and the misogynists win. I can’t always fight back. If a customer of mine, or a contractor treats me like an idiot because I’m a woman, most of the time I can’t do anything about it.

If a little of that reality were in a video game, and it was something I could fight back against, and win for once that would be very meaningful to me. You know what, even if I couldn’t win. Even if the game just let my character tell a bigot to, “f*%# off!” instead of smiling and pretending not to notice like I have to do in real life that would be important to me.

I’m making too much of this. I don’t need this in a game. A game where the only difference the protagonist’s gender makes is in the pro-nouns is fine with me. I like that kind of game. I’m just saying that if it were done right I wouldn’t mind if there were differences based on gender. They might even be emotionally satisfying for me.

10 Likes

Oh god, I hate that. It never fails to break immersion for me, sometimes it even gives me gender dysphoria. Why can’t all these things be choices? The princess thing is the only thing that even makes sense that it isn’t your choice, because it’s the choice of another character to call you that. You could get the choice to tell them to drop it but if they don’t it could be a reason to just not like said character. Not every character has to be likeable.

3 Likes

Totally, with you. But Sadly most games put the stereotypes and not let you put the biggots in place. Most games even not notice that are stereotypes. If they let me put them in place I am okay. And not many stuff.

Yea, I’m all for that. Some people treat people differently based on gender, like some people are more comfortable opening up to someone of the same gender and some the opposite.

See things like that are a good way to go about things. no one’s excluded AND there’s fun replay ability y’know? like it branches off differently and stuff

In my opinion is not because is pure sexist hace the only pacific solution working in a men only club. So women has to be there like sexual cattle . When could be more options than the obvious machist one. Why not a men or nb working too?

No one is excluded but a gender is treated in a sexist way. And assuming all women are hetero or wants be reduced to that . I am just giving my opinion not trying to insult anyone

How you got any of that from my post is beyond me.
But to each their own i 'supose.

I don’t say your post is machist. I say that give women the only option as being a worker in a male night club is a bit sexist. When I have offered several options more open and equalitarian. But sorry if you thibk i was referring to you When I wasn’t

I still honestly don’t see how that’s sexist.
Yes there’s ways around and options are always good to have. Even though I can imagine it being super difficult for guy to crossdress as a woman on the spur of the moment or vice versa. But in that scenario those options are more “realistic” (If that’s the thing the person working on the game wants to go for)

It is sexist as reduce a gender, to a certain actions based upon stereotypes and a supposed roles that have to fill only in base gender. There are males and nb there are crossdressers and many other people working in night clubs. However media ONLY portrait women and only put women on that situations. Night club =Women’s is sexist. Also suppose males are all heterosexual.

Even though I can’t say I feel as strongly about it as you do @poison_mara, the example I gave isn’t one I’d probably be using myself.

Differences based on gender is fine, but I would personally rather that effort be spend on making differences based on other customisation options or personality.
Things like people hitting on you unprompted should be based on a reader choice to be attractive or sexy or charming, rather than the gender of the PC (and an ability to toggle it off is a nice extra).

Also, the club could have purely female staff, because it’s a club for gay men, and the owner wants to discourage fraternisation with the staff. That would be a more interesting take…

4 Likes

I don’t want to go off topic too much, so possible last post on the whole ‘sexisim’ shtick
Yes there are male crossdresses, they have had experience. My point is, spur of the moment thing it’d be very difficult to accomplish with a random dude off the street.
Media might put some women in those situations but there’s just as many of them for men too, people like looking at beautiful people.
If we’re still talking about this scenario, it doesn’t assume all men a hetero, just the ones attending that club. For obvious reasons.

@The_Lady_Luck , could always make the club lean towards whatever the MC identifies as so it’s an easy way in. feels lke a cheap shot done that way (the way i mentioned)

Totally agree with you also about the gay club that’s a good anti stereotypes choice and have sense. And i pretty much prefer choices based upon personality and skills and not over gender. Gender and Race are very sensitive topics so one should be extra careful about how use them.

1 Like

I think the ultimate question is whether a game designer wants to allow any gender of players the widest possible options, or encourage that player to play a different gender in game with new exclusive content. Both approaches have merit if done properly.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity by the way, would you read a gender specific game if it was written by someone of the opposite gender? I sometimes have debated that WW2 French Resistance game having you being a female character only, even though I happen to be a straight dude. :thinking:

2 Likes

Sure, Just because you’re a dude doesn’t mean you can’t write cool female characters. I wouldn’t personally read it 'cause I don’t like playing female characters but I don’t see a problem with it at all shrugs

There are many ways where you could not play into any stereotypes with the whole club scenario just by changing the gender and sexuality of the “target”. Maybe we should discard this scenario because I don’t think that we will reach a happy conclusion with this without having some background that leads to this scene.

I like it a lot more if the only choices I can make are for my own character. Something about a gender changing NPC makes it just feel kind of cheap for me if it doesn’t make sense for the plot. If it makes sense for an NPC to prefer a certain gender, may it be because of their sexuality, past trauma or something else, then I don’t really see a problem with that.

Of course I will read it, Always you don’t use all stereotypes and sexist choices and respect the Historical facts. You only have to careful study what use and had several people as testers looking through it for possible errors.

Just to make it clear:

The club thing is a random example I gave, based on another random example by the OP.
It only exists as a theoretical scenario, used to make discussing the topic easier. :blush:

5 Likes

Nop

20chars

1 Like