Does windows Narrator work with CoG games? Other screen readers for vi?

I think my response again will be long so forgive me.

@Zach_Jones I’m not sure if your friend will like the program that I’m currently using, but I’ll share it and give you some other programs that I’ve tried myself. Of course it will all depend on your friend’s preference since we all have our own likes and dislikes. I’m also a little confused. Are you asking for a screen reader to play the games by CoG or a screen reader to assist in making a CoG? Because you just said to read any CoG games and yet you mentioned working with your friend. Regardless, the programs that I’ll list can read and assist your friend if they just want to play CoG games or decides to make their own CoG game.

Could I suggest a braille keyboard than a braille sticker? Sure it is very economical, but I find it more of a hassle since it is easy to remove it by accident and well you have to constantly replace it once the sticker is over used. The embossed keys won’t last long for the stickers than the embossed keys on a braille keyboard. This is also important; you should check that not all of the braille sticker labels use the standard braille. Better check if the one you got follows the standard braille.

Screen readers differ widely from each other, but most are highly configurable. Almost all screen readers allow the user to select whether most punctuation is announced or silently ignored. (Example is you can make the screen reader pause when a coma is present or not.) Some can even be tailored to a particular application through scripting. The scripting is a customization shared by all or not (Think of it as people creating MODs for games except it is used for the visually impaired to improve their readers.) The most fun scripting for me is the JAWS because it has a very active script-sharing community.

Okay I’ll stop my ramblings and list the programs that I know; (I use multiple readers JAWS, CaptureAssistant, Dolphin Supernova (Dolphin Pen is very fun to use) and one open source which is NVDA. Depending on my mood I switch from the three or when the computer I’m using is not compatible with the program I at least have a backup.)

Screen reader: BRLTTY
Creator: The BRLTTY Team
Platform: Windows console
License: Free and open source (GPL2)
Notes: Available to download

Screen reader: Capture Assistant
Creator: Renovation Software
Platform: Windows
License: Commercial
Notes: What I like about this one is that it’s a Multilanguage screen reader

Screen reader: ClaroRead & ScreenRuler Suite
Creator: Claro Software
Platform: Windows and Mac
Notes: A very flexible program

Screen reader: Hal (Professional)
Creator: Dolphin Computer Access
Notes: The program talks back as you actually type (sometimes good and sometimes very annoying) It will announce the words or characters. It also reads image labels, font styles, and the Windows menu. I think it has a free 30 day trial?

Screen reader: JAWS (Job Access with Speech)
Creator: Freedom Scientific
Platform: Windows and DOS
License: Commercial for Windows; freeware for DOS
Notes: Very compatible with windows so it really is helpful. Also great to mess with the scripting of the program.

Screen reader: NVDA (Non-Visual Desktop Access)
Creator: NonVisual Desktop Access project
License: Free and open source (GPL2)
Notes: Programmed and scriptable in Python which is good. It also uses eSpeak speech synthesizer and SAPI 4 and SAPI 5 synthesizers.

Screen reader: Screen Access for All
Creator: National Association for the Blind, New Delhi
License: Open source
Notes: It’s okay, but I find it hard to use

Screen reader:** Thunder ScreenReader**
Creator: Sensory Software
License: Freeware
Notes: Supports MSAA

Screen reader: Dolphin Supernova (Specifically the Dolphin Pen)
Creator: Dolphin Computer Access Inc.
Platform: Windows and Mac
Notes: I like this because I can bring it anywhere. The Dolphin pen is a USB memory device; plug it to any computer, you have an instant screen reader installed and ready to use. Once you remove the USB it automatically uninstalls the screen reader. It also remembers your personal preferences so even if you use multiple computers it will still retain the settings you set it on.

That’s all I can remember at the moment and you should let your friend try it. Let her choose a program that she will be comfortable to use and easy for her to mess with.

Forgot to add that if your friend would like to browse the net they can use;
ChromeVox which is free by Google, a screen reader for Chrome and Chrome OS.
Fire Vox which is free by Charles L. Chen, a screen reader used for browsing with Firefox only (plugin)

1 Like