Does windows Narrator work with CoG games? Other screen readers for vi?

@Zach_Jones Hi Zach first sorry for the delay was out of town, but now my schedule is a little free so I’ll try to answer your question. This will be long, but I hope this will answer your question and help your friend.

Okay the thing that you should be aware of is that Microsoft Narrator is a screen reader which reads text on the screen aloud and describes some events about the computer which are error message appearing that really happen while anyone is using their computer.

Microsoft Narrator has specific commands for the user to use. Examples are:
Ctrl+Shift+Enter will Get information about the current item
Ctrl will Stop Narrator from reading text
And so and so forth.

Another thing about Microsoft Narrator is that it is designed to read dialog boxes and window controls. (Note that it does not specify anything not made by Microsoft will work or not work. So technically, a program not made by Microsoft will sometimes work and not. A hit and miss for it.)

Now will it work for CoG? The answer is nope. Why? Well as I said before it sometimes work and not work if the program is not Microsoft. The game Choice of Broadsides worked for me, but the other games nah.

Also Microsoft recommends that any visually impaired person should purchase their own full-function screen reader for general computer use as Microsoft Narrator has limitations and It prefers Microsoft made programs.

Are the full-function screen readers free? Ah some are, but I never liked them at all. It felt weird when I used them and really hard to navigate. Any screen reader will definitely need a braille keyboard any blind person will need to know what keys they are pressing or it’s a frustrating event for them.

So basically no the Narrator will not work for CoG games. Get your friend his/her own fully functional screen reader that they are comfortable using.

You said your friend recently got their vision impaired correct? Well this is going to be tricky thing for him/her. You see even if they use screen readers I don’t think they will have a smooth use of the reader if he/she will not learn to use braille. The screen reader is useful if the person is going to use a touch screen because the reader will tell you what you’re pointing at, but how will they respond? Or type out what they want? Listening to each letter will become annoying. So braille keyboards are always the partners of any screen reader.

I hope what I shared will help you and best of luck to your friend.

2 Likes