'Dinosaur' Style Game?

Thanks for all the kind ideas and suggestions. Clearly I don’t know if I’m actually going to write anything myself yet but it’s great to see such interest.

Clearly if I did one it would involve plenty of well done research. I’d have to decide whether or not I would be doing a specific era and location too, or maybe several. Clearly 65 Million years ago with Tyrannosaurus and his buddies is a logical one, but one I would love to do is the Morrison Formation era of about 150 Million years ago in the late Jurassic period. For those who don’t know this is basically one of the high points of the Age of Dinosaurs where you get plenty of interesting species like Allosaurus, Stegosaurus, Diplodocus, Brachiosaurus and Ornitholestes. Basically a good high point to focus on. A game where you get to play as a Allosaur, who are known to have hunted both alone and collectively, would be interesting to work on. Here’s a good section about them from Planet Dinosaur, a great BBC series from a few years ago narrated by the lovely and sadly late John Hurt.

And romance isn’t something dinosaurs overly do, though they do seem to have been caring parents, even the carnivores like Tyrannosaurus. They have found examples of bones on some dinosaurs which appear to have been stepped on in more passionate moments by mistake. Do love your ideas Carlos! One option might be to do a game where your choices determine which dinosaur you might be in the next chapter, going from their beginnings to the asteroid impact where you struggle to survive.

3 Likes

Also any suggestions what sorts of stats would suit a dinosaur would be ideal. The real issue is that carnivores, herbivores and omnivores of all kinds have such varied needs and advantages versus disadvantages makes it tricky to think of easy stats immediately. I would be imagining perhaps that a game would start off with you picking your species from a small selection, kinda like Monsters of Haven except with less prom and more primal carnage. :wink:

…ok now I really wish I could play a dinosaur in that game. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

5 Likes

What about the dinosaurs that lives in the ocean or the one that can live both in land and water like spinosaurus?

1 Like

If you mean marine reptiles like Ichthyosaurs or carnivores like Liopleurodon, which are not evolutionary speaking dinosaurs, then I’m sure they could always show up. Pterosaurs too.

2 Likes

I have a stats suggestions
Passive x Aggressive
Strengthx Agility
Social x Individual
Intelligent
DNA

Fitness should definitely be one of the stat considering how important it is for an animal

Edit: Darwinian Fitness not Physical Fitness

Will we be as mighty and powerful as the Chrome-a-saur, enemy of the Cacti?

1 Like

Those could all work well. Depending on the species cunning versus raw power is probably a thing too, which likely connects to the Strength vs Agility idea.

Carnivore x Herbivore?

The passive and aggressive is the one who determine the dinosaurs is herbivore or carnivore
I think 70 passive or 70 aggressive determine herbivore or carnivore while between it is omnivores

I have another stat suggestion

Relationship with other dinosaur
I think it will determine the species can live with other species thath can create a mutual connection

1 Like

Dinosaurs as house pets anyone?

3 Likes

Will there be an option (maybe when describing appearance at the beginning or something) to give relevant dinos feathers?

1 Like

I have had read that book when I was in High School.

1 Like

I should stress that I started this thread as a suggestion or idea, so it’s possible I won’t be writing anything in the end. Though I do have an idea for another project which would let you have the chance to play as a sentient dinosaur, or interact or even romance one (probably in the same vein as Monsters of Haven) alongside several other non-dinosaur characters.

1 Like

:grinning:

YES!
DINOSAURS!

I love those big guys!

I once try to do a game abut dinosaurs esentially you… the player awoke in a world of fantasy were this celtic like tribes live surrounding by dinosaurs It was a great idea at least in theory :cry:

but choicescribt is far to complex for someone like me to understand :sob:

I even developed a second try but it endend being a normal book to bad for publish even in whatpad :disappointed_relieved:

Re.Dino was somekind of attemp of dinosaur mayan civilization…it didnt turned well

I think a game like that could be interesting, doing a sort of Dinotopia style story where humans and dinosaurs interact. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:fearful:
right in the nail!

Dinotopia was a huge inspiration for my atemp of book I love it as a kiddo

Ditto! I thought it was cool there was a universe where the two co-existed and weren’t scrapping all the time, heck there was a collaborative civilization going on. They even went against stereotype by having a talking raptor as a librarian character, I think.

2 Likes

DO u mean something like choice of the dragon type of game …:thinking: