Developer Wiki

As soon as I stop tonight, as long as I have signal, will set it up. However will need someone(s) that knows there way around to be in charge of the project. I am more then happy to host but my plate is fairly full so would not have a lot of time to work on it.

Actually, a couple of us have been working on a ChoiceScript Wiki. It’s not quite ready so we haven’t announced it yet, but if anyone wants to help out PM me and I’ll send you the details.

Ok then won’t need to host then :slight_smile: good luck on the project.

Thank you, and no, you don’t need to host :slight_smile:

Who else is working with you on the project @AlexCosarca?

@P_Tigras, @Vendetta is the only one working with me.

@AlexCosarca
While it’s admirable that you have taken action, I still feel that we should get the permission of the CoG partners before you publicize anything… I’d be happy to help though, particularly in more obsolete stuff such as interpretor modifications and additions and such (custom commands?), as we still have no hackers guide, I’d very much be happy to help with that!

Is a PM really necessary though? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, it is, as I do not want to reveal everything publicly… and about contacting CoG, I don’t think that will be a problem if I don’t contact them, since everything that is described in the wiki is also contained in the actual CoG files you download…anyways, I’ll just PM Dan to see if it’s ok for me to release the wiki. A lot of work has already gone into it, and I hope the work won’t be a complete waste after all.

EDIT: Nevermind about PM-ing Dan. I’ll just email CoG.

While I don’t think gaining their permission is strictly necessary to do a wiki, I do understand and approve of the desire to gain their blessing. Given the present situation, I am, however, hesitant to do any work on it myself if it may never see the light of day.

@P_Tigras I understand entirely. While I doubt that CoG would withhold their blessing provided that the wiki is at least factually accurate and of value to the community (and, ideally, has a number of prominent community members directly involved in gradually improving, refining and building content), I would certainly feel bad for Alex if this initiative of his should be denied approval. He’s put in a huge number of hours laying the groundwork (I’ve only just recently done some final editing stuff myself) and in my view something along these lines is way, way overdue. It really needs community support to make the most of this opportunity.

It’s usually good to ask about these kinds of things first so that it doesn’t cause any problems or conflicts in the future. If nothing else, let CoG know there’s an unofficial wiki for your own peace of mind.

@CS_Closet I couldn’t agree more! In fairness to Alex, I should really point out that when he first came to me with this proposal he mentioned this particular thread, and had quite obviously been influenced by Dan’s comment above–made way back in February 2011 . . .

It seems obvious that Dan thought the wiki was a great concept, but that he also had some serious reservations about the amount of time CoG staff would have to invest in moderating and cleaning it (a problem we’re aiming to address by limiting editing privilege to voluntary Admins drawn from experienced community members) and indeed, whether or not CoG could even spare the time to build it in the first place. Eighteen months later, the latter reservation has certainly proven true–to the detriment of many potential ChoiceScript authors during that time (and by extension, to the detriment of CoG themselves), IMHO.

A mail is already sent, so I’m just waiting for their answer. I’ll let everyone know as soon as I recieve an answer.

@Vendetta As is so often the case, I agree with you. Hopefully CoG will view the situation similarly, and approve of the endeavor in a timely manner.

@CS_Closet Yup.

@AlexCosarca Sounds good.

@AlexCosarca cool thank you!

Wiki Progress Update

We’re delighted to welcome @CJW and @JimD to the Wiki Admin team. Both bring a huge amount of talent to the table, especially in areas previously felt lacking.

If anyone has any external links they feel might be useful to ChoiceScript game devs, please PM either @AlexCorsarca or myself with details. The official help pages have already been included in the External Links section, as has @CS_Closet’s informative Beginner’s Tutorial.