Dashingdon: Free ChoiceScript Game Hosting

@dashingdon
Yep, it is working now, the images showed up in the game.

@dashingdon
I remember talking to you about this.
I am glad it is up and I cannot wait to try it out! (might take some time though I am still ironing out the bugs in my story)
I am also wondering about what @ballmot said: Do you think this site can handle the traffic?

1 Like

Yes, our conversation spurred me into getting off my lazy butt and getting this done. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I’m still ironing out bugs too, on this and three stories… I’m all over the place!

I’m confident the server can handle the traffic. If it gets really popular and bogs down, I’ll only need a few minutes for maintenance in order to increase the resources to handle the load.

@ballmot Awesome. I love when a bug gets squashed so quickly!

1 Like

Wow! This is great for the community. Thank you so much for your effort.

2 Likes

I was wondering if it was possible to see the code for games hosted using this? I know I mostly learned ChoiceScript just by looking at others code and found errors for people as well by sneaking peeks at it. I know that with the complied games hosted on Dropbox you can’t or its much more difficult too.

1 Like

You can see the code for compiled games.

3 Likes

Thanks, I knew there was a way, but thought it was harder than it was so never went looking. Much appreciated.

@Hell_Satan
What is SSL and how does it work?

1 Like

This is a fantastic idea - thanks for putting in the time to create this.

I tried to upload my public demo to there, but it isn’t working for me. I uploaded all of the relevant scene files, plus a sketch to use for a temporary cover (one was .jpg called dashpic, one was actually called dashpic.jpg)

I am getting a 404 error when trying to access the game, and the cover image isn’t showing up either. It was 250 kb but was going to be sized down anyway, since the image size was bigger.

Ok found the issue and got it fixed :grin: I had the links set to lowercase but you registered your username with a capital at the start - which is totally fine I just didn’t account for it for some reason. Your game is showing up (including image) and works now. (That image is great by the way I dig the style :smile:).

I clicked through a few options to ensure that everything is functioning and going demon results in a 404 so I guess you haven’t gotten all the scenes files uploaded yet. You can only do 20 at a time for the uploads but there’s no limit to the total number of scenes. I also received an error missing stat_cap.txt (but again probably due to not having all the scenes in - apologies if you attempted to load up the whole batch and the ones after the 20 limit were skipped).

1 Like

Hm, I loaded fewer than 20 at a time, but I’ll check and see that they’re all there.

Edit: Uploaded the stat_cap scene (that’s also what broke the early options.) As of now there is no way to see what scenes are currently uploaded to your game folder, unless I’m missing something? So I might not have added everything correctly in the first place.

I see it here:

http://dashingdon.com/play/Sashira/monster-high-(public-demo)/mygame/scenes/Stat_cap.txt

Capital S on Stat. But I see in Character_Creation.txt it’s looking for stat_cap (all lowercase).

1 Like

Oh, is that the issue? I haven’t had anything yell at me for coding it that way… unless… Hey, I just figured out why *finish sometimes doesn’t find the right next scene! That has been bugging me for a month now!

amateur coder victory dance

Also, I got an error screen after attempting a post-stat cap-upload playthrough directing me to a COG support email:

Temporarily removing the public link on DashingDon while I standardize the capitals the way I should’ve done in the first place.

2 Likes

@dashingdon
I am not a programmer so happy to see you doing this. Was trying to offer something like this on choiceofbox, but did not have the skills to do so. I will add a link for it when I have time. Great job.

Thanks. Also, if you like, I will be happy to provide the code and assistance in setting up another instance of this system on your website once I ensure the bugs are squashed and I get my disorganized programming better structured. Never hurts to have more options for everyone! :smile:

1 Like

That would be great. Thank you

Excuse me, but is there anyway to delete scenes? Oh, and, also, thank you for making this. ^-^

Ah no, not currently. You can overwrite them or you can just ignore them. But if you do want a scene deleted for any reason just PM your username and game name and the scene name and I’ll be glad to remove it from the server for now until I get something more user-friendly for scene management in place.

Oh, thank you. It’ll be fine for now; I just messed up a little, and I feel bad, in case there’s limited space on the site or something. ;;

Nope, no worries! :wink: