Custom NPC Names?

I’ve been thinking long and hard about allowing players to not only rename their character but also some of the more important non-player characters, much like the way the older Final Fantasy’s worked. Each char would have a “real” name but upon acquiring/meeting them you’d have the option to rename them.

Blackraven is it? Does this with the lover, I’m talking more on the scale of being able to rename everyone so say for e.g. all the cathedral survivors in zombie exodus, to give you an idea of scale.

There are countless pros and cons ofc.

The obvious argument being more personal stories vs confusion/over complication and difficult cross-reference (One persons’ Jenny may be another’s Lisa) etc.

So I just thought I’d gather some thoughts other than my own before making a concrete decision. Any suggestion is much appreciated!

It wouldn’t be too hard to code just have a variable for each npc then put {npc1} {npc2} etc

I would LOVE that. Seriously. Of course, in games there are default names, which I don’t think you could put in ChoiceScript. But still, that sounds great!

@Nocturnal_Stillness Oh yes! Don’t worry I have no worries about how to do it or if I can, more as to whether I “should”.

@Bagelthief - Yes I would have default names of course. You might meet someone for example who says…

“You remember me, don’t you?”

And you could reply;

#No I don’t

• They’d tell you their default name.

OR

#How could I forget! It’s good to see you…

• Enter Name Screen

Well it adds more customization to your game and imo doesn’t have any issues against it. if you want to do it then do it. we’re visitors to your world so its your choice :slight_smile:

Just one negative is that in others beta testing the work, you may find it hard to get a reference. Everyone would have a different name for the character. In ZE, if someone wants to discuss Javier’s character, they say Javier. In your game, it would be “that crazy Latino guy” or some other description that would vary.

It’s a bold idea and players love customization, but I just wanted to point out that one issue.

@JimD

you can work around that with set surnames

so regardless if I name a character Bingojingo the surname is always Wallace.

So during the beta ppl just need to say the full name.

@Nocturnal_Stillness good point. I think it is a must if you do this system.

@JimD that was and remains my primary concern.

@Nocturnal_Stillness ~ That is so simple yet so. .Genius! Good call man, I might very well do this after all, cheers! :smiley:

Glad I could help.