[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

Is pronoun highlighting a separate issue? (Or relevant both separately and in regards to syntax?)

Edit: Added the pronoun highlighting request here and the list of custom theme requests here; if I’ve missed any, anyone is welcome to let me know, and I’ll edit the github post.

1 Like

LGTM, thank you for that. You can actually cross-reference issues (just copy the link and it automatically turns it into a link ala #ID), I’ve edited the post to do that.

2 Likes

Not to constantly ask questions but I have just figured out how the save thingy works (before I just redlied on dashingdon’s helpfulness and didn’t have to download the .js stuff)

I was wondering if there was a way to use this save system in CSIDE? I really like it but I’d really like to be able to use the save system in CSIDE

1 Like

Ahahaha, it used to be possible. I removed it because it was difficult to enable/disable by choice and I didn’t want to force people to include it in compiled games. I’ll take another look, as you are right, @Fiogan has been reminding me for a while now. I just need to think of a good division. I’ll prioritise this.

What I might do is only include smPlugin, if that is an acceptable compromise.

2 Likes

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Yay.

Thanks, I really don’t mind tons but I also play my own game for fun (yup, that’s a thing I do) and like to go back (especially since I can double check 'wait isn’t that guy supposed to be dead? etc.)

Well, I just started using Choicescript IDE and it looks great for organization. One issue though: I started doing two projects, one’s going smooth, as for the other? The letters and the words delay as I’m writing, as if I have 10000 Google Chrome tabs opened at the same time. I did some investigating, the first project only has 3000 words excluding code and works fine, but the other has 79 thousand excluding code and 92 thousand with code. The second project’s other files are fine too: I can work normally with the startup and the stats. I can only assume that the size of the file is affecting it.

Would you mind sending me the file in question via PM and I’ll investigate?

3 Likes

Hi all, a bit of market research: Would people find it helpful (or annoying) if the CSIDE issue tab was expanded to support automated test warnings, such as:

• MISSING *TITLE COMMAND
  • SOME LINES UNTESTED
  • UNUSED achievement

etc…

6 Likes

Wait does not using an achievement break the game? It’d be cool to warn for stuff like missing title, goto etc, but perhaps only for stuff youknow wasn’t intentional?

In this case, it would (most often) mean the achievement was unachievable by any in-game means, I think? So it could be quite useful to know.

@CJW I would appreciate the warnings! That sounds very helpful.

2 Likes

Oh okay I was just wondering since in CSIDE I have a few stuff like achievement’s and items you won’t get till really far later in the game, and it’d be slightly annoying to be reminded that you can’t get the “Good end” or whatever achievement when I’ve coded a tinyyyy fraction of the game.

Although I suppose I could add in the achievements at end, once the game’'s done.

1 Like

Or *comment them out until they’re applicable, maybe? I do that with odds and ends I’m not currently using.

1 Like

That’s a good idea, I only have a few rn just so I know where I want my game to go (i.e. if I just kept writing it’d turn into a murderous comedy or aomething) and what stuff I want to reward the player for, even if I haven’t written it yet.

1 Like

Hi! I just want to say that I’ve been using CSIDE for quite a while now and I’m loving it. :blue_heart:

However, I’ve encountered a few issues:

• Doing “@{} bla bla bla @{}” incorrectly highlights the words between the @{} the same color as itself. A minor issue, but it becomes hard to easily see where the @{} ends when you have long strings of it.
  • Opening the achievements tab while testing removes the top part of the program where the minimize/maximize buttons are, and won’t return until you restart it. It also makes you unable to switch tabs so you’re now stuck in “Run a Project”.
  • The Visible Indentation option doesn’t work for me anymore, but it used to do so before. Now I just see a tiny white pixel (on at least 14 font size) if it’s a single indent only. Even then, it’s useless.
  • Not sure what causes this one, but sometimes an error won’t show (it just stops working) unless I press the Popup button and trigger the error again that way.

Regarding the test warnings, I’m not sure I’ll like them very much, unless there’s an option to disable them. I like coding things I’m not going to use yet, and I have lots of stray comments that block commenting them is just a hassle. I like adding in achievements that you can’t get yet just to show them too, but… a workaround would be adding a hidden choice somewhere where you can achieve all of them just so it won’t trigger the warning. :smiling_imp:

Anyway, I’m looking forward to new updates!

2 Likes

Hey Franzinyte! Thank you for using and sharing your thoughts about CSIDE. I really appreciate you reporting these issues. Let’s go through them one by one…

Oo! Well spotted. That’s a massive blunder, you don’t even need two of them. I’ll get right on this.
EDIT: I’ve logged this here.

I was wondering when someone else would spot this one. Yep, that’s a pretty nasty one, that is right at the top of my TODO list (haven’t narrowed down a solution yet). There’s a log of the same issue (though different trigger conditions) here: Long initial paragraphs cause application to be pushed up on run · Issue #36 · ChoicescriptIDE/main · GitHub If you have anything else to add, please post it here and I’ll copy it over.
EDIT: I should note this isn’t about the achievements tab specifically, but is related to the amount of solid text that is loaded on a CS page. Too much and it “forces” the application UI up. If you removed most of your achievements you might find this works as normal again (not a solution I know, just an explanation!).

Could I get a little more information on this one? Are you using tabs/spaces, is line-wrap on/off? A screenshot would also be a great help, if you are able to grab one.

Am I also right in assuming a Windows machine and the ‘Development’ channel: v1.2.1?

As for the warnings, I’m largely undecided. It’s just market-research at the moment! There are pros and cons both ways, and I want to be careful about having a setting for everything under the sun. I feel that an over complicated settings panel will intimidate a number of users.

2 Likes

These are already shown in the quicktest and Randomtest results, so everyone should see these issues when testing.

With that said, making a notation of these issues within the issues tab under a Quicktest/Randomtest header would be helpful, especially for logging purposes. As it stands right now, we have to manually record the uncovered lines to keep track of them or keep the quicktest results open.

2 Likes

In theory everything (errors included) should be caught by the automated tests. So we could argue that logging errors at runtime is redundant? To add context, I should explain, what I was actually looking into doing (this was a side tangent) is automatically running quicktest on individual scenes in the background, whenever they are saved. This is quick and invisible to the end user (unless an error is caught), although like full QT it is far from foolproof. If you have a *goto_scene at the top of your scene file for example, the file is never going to be tested properly outside of random/running the game.

Anyway, I thought that might be a nice enhancement. Something to gently coerce people into more pre-emptive testing, but it’s hardly something I have set in stone! Still prototyping, still deliberating (and opinions are very welcome!).

I’ll think on this; I see good and bad at first blush, so I’m going to need to contemplate things more. I’ll give feedback a bit later tonight.

1 Like

Yup, I commented most of them and that worked. I definitely have too many achievements. :sweat_smile:

Screenie

I’m using tabs, 2 indent size, and Gothic font. And yup, it’s Windows and I’m on that Dev channel version.

Excellent, I can reproduce that. If you could just confirm for me: turning line wrap off solves the problem? There has always been a bit of a graphical trade-off when that setting is turned on… Although the mono font seems to get away with it better than the others. I’ll look into possible mitigations, thanks again for reporting :slight_smile: