[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

I see. I’m not used to python. But indentation gets a little tricky

It does. I’m not a fan myself, but it makes sense for CS, where every line is presupposed to be plain text unless indicated otherwise.

1 Like

@Eiwynn I hope not! I redownloaded it today just to check and now it just opens like this, without an error message:

@rinari – I know you checked this, but your settings are all normal?

My CSIDE has been acting normal all day so far (3 hrs use or so)

I’m unable to access the settings, unfortunately, since the window freezes upon startup, but they were normal the day before yesterday (when the program was working). I am working from a new laptop, but when I first installed CSIDE on it and opened my files to make sure it was working, all was fine! And then I didn’t change anything (as far as I know), and the next day it crashed upon opening with that error message!

2 Likes

Your files are accessible in Notepad++ or similar text editor?

Yes, and even in the CSIDE Dropbox Web version (which I just downloaded as a temporary workaround)!

Are you running CSIDE as Admin on the new laptop?

1 Like

Do you know what version you’re on? A little hard to tell without the settings tab, I appreciate. I think this is a reoccurring bug, but I don’t yet know what causes it. You might need to clear the persistent settings, will post an explanation in a few.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what version the first program (the one that first manifested the error) was on, but the one I just downloaded from the OP (which launches and freezes but doesn’t show the CharAt error) is the most recent one, I’m pretty sure!

Edit: And yes I am running it as Administrator!

1 Like

Try following the deletion of the folder as mentioned here:

2 Likes

@CJW it looked like that worked! Thank you so much for your help (and you as well, @Eiwynn)! :heart:

3 Likes

Glad to hear it. So that means something went wrong with the persistence data. If this happens again (to anyone), would you mind getting in touch with me directly via PM? I’d like to extract your data and see exactly what’s causing it.
Thanks for reporting rinari!

1 Like

CJW, I’ve noticed a bug but I suspect is a choicescript bug not a CSIDE bug could you have a read of this:

Choicescript seems to split adjacent symbols used as text onto different lines if it does not recognize what you have written as a word

example the cluster of symbols:

≡][≡

when written in text will be split onto two lines when displayed if it happens to occur at the end of a line, like this:

≡]
[≡

Not really sure what to do about this.

This is just how CSS/HTML behaves. Not sure there’s much you can do about this…
More info: http://jkorpela.fi/unicode/linebr.html

1 Like

I was also hoping a way to play test a game from a particular point instead of having to restart all over

1 Like

@rinzygreye You can playtest a game from any point in CSIDE, though how your variables react will vary. Just open CSIDE’s console (it’s at the bottom of the editing screen and looks like a bar that starts with >_

Annotation 2020-07-09 120229

Clicking on that will open up the console. You can now input any ChoiceScript command in order to playtest and bugtest your game. If you want to skip to any point, simply type *goto_scene [scenename] or *goto [labelname], depending on if you’re already in the scene you want to test. Optionally you can type a [labelname] after your scene name if you want to skip to a particular label within a scene.

If you want to adjust your variables as you’re playing, use the console to *set [variablename] exactly as you would adjust it in your game. So if you want to change your name in your playtest, you’d type *set name “Bobby” into the console. This doesn’t have an effect on your permanent variables in the game and is only temporary for that session, for playtesting.

6 Likes

Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks CJW for the ability to add words to the dictionary in CSIDE, I’ve started using it properly and its really useful :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hi guys, I have been having a lot of difficulty and have been told that in CSIDE you need to import pictures as scenes. If someone would tell me how I would really be grateful!