CSIDE Pre-Release Livestream (Released 15/06/2017)

Hot damn you guys are amazing. Loving the live stream so far! So many improvements over using notepad++ <3

Love the layout and the look. Very sleek. I especially enjoy the play test being included in the program. No more needing to use Firefox lmao

7 Likes

Just noticed two new buttons next to the “stats” button earlier. I don’t know if you already mentionned them? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What @Snowpanther said. What are those buttons for?

Also, how easy is it to import a current project into CSIDE? How is it done?

5 Likes

Popout creates a popout window of the running game so you can try out options on a choice (etc) without progressing the game, or if you perhaps just want the full/separate screen experience :slight_smile:

Stepping allows you to run your CS code slowly, line by line. This can be useful for debugging complex issues in areas with a lot of complex code.

Importing is as easy as clicking the folder icon in the top left (Open scenes), and selecting your desired .txt files. Done!

5 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile:

Now I know she eventually deleted the *fake_ for the choice, but I am curious what that code is even used for? I’ve never really understood it.

Also I believe she needs to add a line of code here so this will loop back to the beginning of the choice, unless she added a *gosub that I did not see.

Edit: AAAA my post was mentioned :wink:

4 Likes

Shh, don’t tell her.

3 Likes

Line 80 needs to have ‘their’ changed to them, or add a new variable so that line 93 works grammatically.
Also line 99 doesn’t work well with line 79’s *set pn variable. :wink:

1 Like

So when do you plan on releasing CSIDE?

1 Like

Thanks everyone who came to see the livestream! The video is archived on YouTube, too, for those who’d like to see it but couldn’t make the stream.

(And thanks for the coding help, forum-goers–I couldn’t see this, nor the live chat, whilst screen-presenting during the livestream, but I could feel the tender loving care. :innocent: )

7 Likes

In the next few weeks, once we have a date we’ll be sure to announce it here and on twitter :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Fiogan had no idea there was a live chat D: lmao
Unless you are referring to the chat plugin for Hangouts, in which case that would make sense because I wasn’t in the call lol

@CJW Any chance of a limited ‘pre-order’ of sorts? lmao
I’m being impatient and wanna use this asap hahaha

2 Likes

Ah no, I knew about the chat, but I was presenting in CSIDE so that is what was on my screen, and that alone. (:

I’m so glad you liked the demo! I’m excited for when @CJW has it ready for public release too. I know it’s been a huge help to me–as you all got to see.

3 Likes

Well if the team wants/needs anyone else to test it out and think up other ideas to add to the program I would be more than happy to pitch in. Anything to get this beautiful piece of work installed on my laptop as quickly as possible. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Actually I just thought of something now.
Here is the basic code for items that I am using in The Hero of Eastcliff.

*selectable_if (gold >=[cost]) #[Item Name] - Damage (#) Cost: #
  *set weap_value [damage]
  *set gold -[cost]
  *set mainhand "[Item Name]"
  *set dmg_type [1-9]
  *set magic_main [0-1]
  *set ench_type [1-2]
  *set damage (((damage_base + weap_value) + off_weap_value) + damage_bonus)
  *set offhand_na [0-1]
  *goto [appropriate scene]

Is it possible to create a way to essentially save codes like this into a folder the program can reference, with an option to import the template? This way we don’t need to have extra scene files open when coding and writing, and can simply use this system to import templates into other games we write.

@J3loodT4lon
Sorry, no pre-order bonuses! It will be free for everyone to use, as soon as soon we feel it’s ready.
We did have a ‘snippets’ tab at one point during development, but decided that it didn’t really add much over just having an extra “Snippets” project open, out of which you could copy and paste any of your desired code. With the ability to collapse projects this doesn’t cause too much clutter.

Though we will of course aim to tweak and improve on the application post-release :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was thinking of something like an ‘import template’ button. Click the button, and a popup would, well, popup prompting you to select the template you wish to import. Select it, click import, and the program will paste that template where your cursor is/over what you have highlighted. Essentially works as a copy-paste, except it removes the need to have another scene file open, and removes the need to constantly swap between scenes to copy-paste the desired template.

Does CSIDE have a Move Up/Down Current Line function like Notepad++?

Yes, it does! The commands for those (on both Windows and Mac, as it happens) will be:

Move selected text up a line: SHIFT + CTRL + UP

Move selected text down a line: SHIFT + CTRL + DOWN

5 Likes

Is it going to be open-source when it goes live? I’d love to look at how you accomplished your debugging tools.

3 Likes

I aim to make the code available to the public eventually, but I’m still undecided on licensing options, so it might not be up immediately after release.

5 Likes