CSIDE Pre-Release Livestream (Released 15/06/2017)

Hey everyone, my apologies for the lack of updates here. Some of you may recall that I indicated that the app would be out by now. Due to a variety of personal circumstances, this has proven to be impossible. I hope to be back on track by next week, and will aim to get the app out to you very soon thereafter. My apologies once again, it really is just around the corner now. I hope you all enjoy!

16 Likes

Hi @CJW, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, Iā€™m very new to these forums and this community! I was wondering if any progress has been made towards releasing the desktop version of ChoiceScript IDE to the public? :slight_smile: I used the dropbox tool before and was a huge fan of how easy, convenient, and non-intimidating it made the whole process of writing Choicescriptā€“then I left for a while and was saddened to see it go! No pressure, I was just curious if you have any updates at all on how the desktop version is going. Thanks so much!

4 Likes

Hi there rinari, welcome to the forums and many apologies for the delayed response :slight_smile:
I want to release the IDE as soon as I can, itā€™s in a useable state at the moment. Itā€™s not bug free, but itā€™s stable. Iā€™m just currently trying to optimise the build process, so that future patches are quicker for me to make and users to receive. Itā€™s quite a difficult/manual process to update certain things at the moment, such as the internal copy of ChoiceScript.

10 Likes

@CJW Do you need an internal copy of ChoiceScript, or can it be in an external folder? In my implementation of Chronicler I let the users download and use whatever version of CS they want, they just have to specify the location of the folder in the settings menu.

Looking forward to the official release!

1 Like

The main point of CSIDE is that itā€™s 100% plug and play. People donā€™t have to worry about a thing other than opening the app and clicking new project. I really want to retain this key behaviour. Itā€™s not updating ChoiceScript itself per say. That isnā€™t too bad, itā€™s actually things like the random/quick test files that need some paths overriding. Catching and propagating CS errors is another thing that requires some extra hooks. I am trying to think of better ways to work around this, but nothing so far.

5 Likes

Hello! Do we have any updates on CSIDE? Sorry to bug you, but Iā€™m really excited for it and hope to have it as soon as possible. Since there has been no word about it for a month, Iā€™m a little restless. Could you give any updates please?

Hey DeepPars, thank you for your interest. You can rest assured that CSIDE is still a very real thing. It was meant to be released a while back but has suffered a huge delay due to a lot of pressure from other commitments. It might not be in a perfect state, but I feel I have kept people waiting long enough, so will be releasing it as soon as I can. Please bear with me! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not at all! Youā€™re already doing us all a huge favour by releasing this IDE and we canā€™t thank you enough! Eagerly looking forward to it. Iā€™m sure all of us can understand the how hard it is. So donā€™t worry, just keep us posted :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry if this is me just being a bit thick, but the wiki site is a bit slow on my laptop so hard to read through, but Iā€™m sure I downloaded something from the wiki site called IDE, is that just a beta version or something completely different?

I believe the wiki might have linked to the old website version of the IDE. There has never been a publicly downloadable version though.

2 Likes

@CJW Any more news on the launch of CSIDE? Just got back tot he forums after a long 9 month break, so Iā€™m unsure if there have been any other topics related to its release.

4 Likes

Iā€™m actually hoping to make an announcement very soon. Watch this space :slight_smile:

17 Likes

CJW: Announcement!

(everyone else): Whatā€™s the announcement?

CJW: Iā€™m going to make an announcement soon!

Windows Vista: Are you sure youā€™d like to make an announcement?

3 Likes

Hi! You look like youā€™re trying to make an announcement.
Would you like help?

• Make an announcement about your announcement.
  • Find a critical bug that will set release back another six months.

10 Likes

Hahaha, I really wouldnā€™t risk jinxing itā€¦ :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

How could you resurrect clippy! Quick kill it with fire before it spreads. (I used to hate MSWord.)

10 Likes
5 Likes

@CJW This makes me happy. :slight_smile:
Even the original CSIDE is amazing. My main thing Iā€™m looking for is the ability to script and play test all in the same window, and CSIDE delivers that beautifully. Though honestly playing around with the Legacy version makes me want the final desktop version even more!!

5 Likes

I have a few questions for you @CJW. I believe they were covered in the live stream in September (which I really enjoyed watching), but Iā€™m too lazy to sift through it to find my answers lmao

1. I found the multi-click option in Notepad++, and I have noticed that when using the ā€˜enterā€™, ā€˜endā€™, and ā€˜homeā€™ keys it will only apply them to the LAST line you had clicked. Will CSIDEā€™s multi-click function allows those keys to work on all lines or will it work similar to Notepad++?

2. I have grown accustomed to the color scheme I use for the ā€˜languageā€™ in Notepad++. Will CSIDE have an option to customize this as well?

3. As a follow up to my previous question: When defining your ā€˜languageā€™ in Notepad++, I have yet to determine a way for the program to automatically color parenthesis. Iā€™m looking for something that would allow the parenthesis in, for example: *set base_attack_bonus_full ((((((base_attack_bonus&"/") &base_attack_bonus2) &"/") &base_attack_bonus3) &"/") &base_attack_bonus4) to have a specific color instead of being black like the rest of the text. Will CSIDE have options like this for customizing your ā€˜languageā€™?

Iā€™m very glad to hear it @J3loodT4lon t! I wouldnā€™t use the word final though. Post-release, we have plans to continue supporting and updating CSIDE with not only the obvious tweaks and bug-fixes, but also new features and functionality, down the line.

1. Yes, the multi-click in CSIDE will perform these actions on each line with a cursor.

2 & 3. At release CSIDE will provide three specifically tailored editor themes that will determine background colour and syntax highlighting. You wonā€™t be able to edit these themes, but can swap between them at any time. Rather than having brackets as a permanent separate colour, we have included bracket matching, which will highlight pairs of brackets, making it easier to deduce pairs within complicated nests:

2 Likes