Creme de la Creme -- BETA TESTERS NEEDED

Climb to the top of the class at your exclusive private boarding school! The pressure is on: you’ll dance with royalty, impress decorated officers, and perfect your etiquette, and you’re still a teenager! When your parents fall into disgrace, the rest of high society rejects them. It’s up to you to enroll at Gallatin College, a private boarding school, to secure your future and restore the family’s good name.

Directions for beta-testing:

Email me, jason AT choiceofgames for access.

• Do not send me DMs/PMs through the forum mail system, Discord, text message, carrier pigeon, or anything other method than email.
  • When you send your EMAIL, include:
    – the game you want to test in the Subject line of the email.
    – your forum-name
    – your real name (first and last)
    — if your family/surname comes first, please indicate that. I will assume that your given name is listed first unless you tell me otherwise.
  • Do not email me multiple times about joining a beta. If you don’t email me as soon as I post a beta, you go into a queue. As we post new drafts, I admit more people from the queue. Eventually, I will get to you.

When you have been admitted to the beta, I will send you a link, a username, and a password as a reply to your email.

When you have feedback to submit:

• Return feedback to me, preferably part of the same email thread/chain, rather than a new one.
  • Please send screenshots or copy/pasted quotes as often as you can; it helps us track down whatever observation you’re making. In particular, the author may see things that you don’t, and/or the screenshot may contain more information than you realize.
  • if you’re submitting feedback using the Bug/Submit button in the game, make sure you include your handle/name in the body of the email. The Submit button obscures your email address, and I can’t give you credit for feedback if I don’t know who you are.

DO NOT POST ASKING WHAT MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS. The first test to becoming a beta tester is inferring what it is based on the above paragraph.

Lastly, you cannot be testing two games at once. Send feedback on one and you can apply to another.

Tips on How to Give Feedback

I’m looking for “high level” and “low level” feedback. Not mid-level feedback.

Low-level = typos and continuity errors. A continuity error is when a character’s gender flips, or someone comes back from the dead, or you run into a plotline that just doesn’t make sense (because it’s probably a coding error).

For these low-level issues, screenshots are very helpful. If you see a problem, take a screenshot, or copy and paste the text that is in error, and email that.

“High level” feedback has to do with things like plot, pacing, and characters. “Scene A didn’t work for me because x, y, and z,” is useful feedback. “B character was entirely unsympathetic, because u, w, and v,” is also useful feedback.

“Mid-level” feedback describes things like grammar, style, word choice, or the use of commas. As I said above, I do not want mid-level feedback. In particular, DO NOT WRITE TO ME ABOUT COMMAS.

“I had a great time and saw only a few spelling errors,” is not useful feedback. In fact, it’s the sort of thing that results in you not being given access to future betas.

Some examples of useful feedback

In Choice of the Dragon, you get to choose what type of wings you have: leather or scaled. Someone wrote in and asked about having feathered wings. Great suggestion! Done!

In “The Eagle’s Heir,” someone asked about Eugenie. They said that the romance moved too quickly–because she only appeared in the last third of the game–and wished they could have had an opportunity to meet her earlier. So the authors added an opportunity to meet her and start the romance earlier in the game (in a scene that already existed).

In “Demon Mark: A Russian Saga” several people commented on how the PC’s parents were unsympathetic, so the authors added a choice or two to deepen the relationship with the parents in the first chapter, to help better establish their characters.

Similarly, pointing out a specific choice and saying, “this is who I imagined my character was at this particular moment, and none of these options seemed right for me. I would have liked an option to do X instead,” is also really helpful feedback.

Another useful piece of feedback: if you choose an #option and then the results of that #option don’t make sense. Like, if you thought an #option might test one stat, but it seems to have tested a different one.

26 Likes

v17892

Content:

• Added ability to visit and romance a certain character in Chapter 12 even if you spent Chapter 11 away from them
  • Minor town-trip scene expansion in Chapter 3
  • Expanded Delacroix and Freddie Chapter 4 romance scenes
  • Added romance interests noticing you going out publicly with Archambault people during Chapter 6
  • Various choice text clarifications

Corrections:

• Added variables in various places to make sure first kisses were registered
  • Fixed a Chapter 12 continuity bug where a plot-outcome variable wasn’t set under certain circumstances
  • Debugged a “closest friend” subroutine so an absent character is no longer an option
  • Minor typos and continuity errors (mostly pronoun related)
  • Corrected header images
6 Likes

New draft is up, v17960! Changelog:

Content:
-Reworked part of Chapter 11 to give players more agency during a major plot event regardless of stats
-Additional romance interactions for Auguste, Rosario, and Florin in Chapter 8
-Additional snobbish choices in Chapter 2, Chapter 3, and Chapter 6
-Stat page split up and content notes added; stat page now shows when you’re in the Prologue.

Fixes:
-Chapter 2 Hartmann conversation about Auguste now reflects if you’ve flirted with Hartmann earlier
-If you say to your parents that you’re romancing someone but don’t say who, they no longer think you stated Gonzalez
-Indent issue in Chapter 12 Auguste conversation fixed so there’s no longer a jump to the wrong part of the chapter
-Chapter 12 option/result loop fixed
-Mr. Griffith’s reaction to the events in Chapter 5 correctly reflects whether you helped other students
-Corrected variable setting so Karson’s address is correct in later chapters
-Various typos fixed and choice texts clarified

9 Likes

New draft is up! v17982

Changelog:

Content:
-Removed part of a scene which could suggest Gonzalez was romanceable
-Added a shy-romance choice in a Chapter 2 Freddie conversation
-Expanded progress report scene in Chapter 4
-Added more pro-parents options
-Minor additional character reaction added in the Prologue
-Kept Blaise relationship bar visible throughout the game
-Made sure Hartmann mentions Auguste post-Chapter-2-party no matter who you spent time with
-Clarified a couple of choice texts

Fixes:
-Stat page adjustments: Archambault student relationships are visible after meeting them, a couple of romance activations are reflected
-Corrected an indent issue in Chapter 2 where part of a scene repeated
-Fixed repeated description of Delacroix’s outfit in Chapter 4
-Continuity corrections in Chapter 8
-Continuity correction in Chapter 11 where text referring to Florin and Rosario was swapped
-Continuity correction in Chapter 12 where a Hartmann conversation didn’t recognise one of the plot outcomes
-Deleted a couple of instances of stray code that had been left during testing
-Typo fixes

5 Likes

New draft, v18058! Changelog:

Content:
-Added appearance descriptions for the PC in the prologue
-Expanded love-interest conversations in Chapter 2 and Chapter 4 to allow more chat if you’re romancing them
-Opened up a couple of Chapter 3 choice options that were previously gated
-Added Chapter 4 aro/ace conversation points with Delacroix and Freddie
-Small expansion to Chapter 5 scene about other characters discussing Blaise
-Tweaked Gonzalez partnership variable setting in Chapter 6
-Big Chapter 8 scene expansion
-Chapter 10 expansion allowing you to let a romance fizzle out if you haven’t spent much time together
-Expanded Chapter 12 to include more about classmates’ plans if you’re close with them
-Small Chapter 12 result expansion
-Options added to several existing choice sets
-Various minor wording changes/clarifications

Fixes:
-Fixed a couple of eye colour goofs
-Fixed a couple of instances where romance variables for Freddie and Max weren’t set correctly
-Fixed a bug where sometimes asking Delacroix to graduation would have another character tagging along incorrectly
-Fixed an extremely unlikely but potentially nasty plot-related bug in Chapter 11
-Fixed a pesky Chapter 12 indent issue where a scene jumped incorrectly
-Fixed an issue where the stat page plot summary displayed incorrectly in Chapter 12
-Typo and minor continuity fixes

3 Likes

New draft, v18084! Changelog:

Content:
-Added an option to the hair choice list
-Added an option to set all variable-gender characters to a single gender (female, non-binary, or male)
-Added some references to the PC’s appearance
-Added Freddie’s parents to the Prologue
-Adjusted text where you could eat ice cream then say you’re lactose free
-Made Karson a bit more forthcoming in Chapter 4
-Changed Hartmann’s and Gonzalez’s first names
-Expanded a Blaise scene in Chapter 11
-Added and gated some Chapter 11 options to make sure they reflected actions/motives from earlier in the chapter
-Increased threshold of Lady Renaldt being more positive towards the PC during a Chapter 11 chat
-Made final scene of Chapter 11 more responsive to earlier events
-Removed gating from part of a Chapter 12 character conversation so it’s accessible regardless of previous actions
-Expanded Chapter 12 to include more about non-classmate friends’ plans if you’re close with them
-Various adjustments, minor additions, and clarifications throughout

Fixes:
-PCs can no longer ask a character as a date to the Winter Ball if they’d already said no
-Fixed a repeated description in Chapter 4
-Differentiated comments about Annick’s presence in Chapter 5 based on whether she’s officially invited
-Fixed response to Chapter 5 to properly reflect whether you helped other students
-Fixed scene repeat issue in Chapter 8
-Various typo and continuity fixes

5 Likes

New draft, v18093! Changelog:

-Added a hug option for the Rosario festival date
-Adjusted conditions for Lady Renaldt’s comments about previous actions during a Chapter 11 chat
-Added (mild) parental approval in Chapter 12 if you got together with Karson but did something awesome otherwise
-Annick now helps you out under some circumstances in Chapter 12
-Blocked off starting an entirely new romance in Chapter 11 if you’re fully committed to someone else already
-Various adjustments, clarifications, and typo/continuity fixes

Please send in your feedback if you haven’t yet, and consider replaying if you played an earlier draft!

7 Likes

New draft, v18147! Changelog:

Content:

-Added character guide to the stat page

-Minor expansion to Archambault student scenes in Chapter 10

-Added Chapter 12 feedback on teachers’ post-game plans
-Adjusted Archambault relationship test difficulty
-Various minor additions/clarifications

Fixes:
-Stat page: added a missing romance, corrected hair description
-Fixed a bug where a relationship variable wasn’t being set under some circumstances
-Fixed a Chapter 10 indentation bug where two romance scenes could collide
-Fixed a Chapter 11 bug where if you backed out of doing a task, some variables weren’t reset
-Fixed a Chapter 12 bug where under some circumstances Auguste’s scene was cut short

-Ensured that classmates will write only once in Chapter 12
-Fixed a swapped-over text regarding a relationship being positive or negative
-Removed a stray placeholder line

-Various typos/continuity fixes

The beta will be closing soon, so please do send in any final feedback!

4 Likes

This is now off to copyedit. Thanks to everyone who submitted feedback!

5 Likes