For those who may or may not have known, I took on the responsibility of writing my own Interactive Novel a bit over a year ago. To put it blunt, coding sucked and it made my brain hurt, causing me to nearly bail until I found the wonderful Chronicler tool by @BenSeawalker. Sure, it’s outdated and is pretty unknown, but I found it to do exactly everything the regular Choicescript format did, and it performed as I needed by minimizing as much code as possible and putting it into a visual format similar to Twine.
There’s just one problem. Looking at it in CSIDE when I bug test and compare it to other code, it just seems… scrambled. It removes the need for *goto commands by doing it for the writer, but the pre-assigned labels are randomized numbers ranging from 8 to 10 digits, meaning you don’t know what the hell goes where unless you pay attention. (btw Ben, in your next version, please have the labels count up from 1 if possible)
With that said, as I near completion with Chapter 1 and I freshen things up in preparation for submission to Hosted Games… just how much of a nightmare will it be for you copy-editors? Will I need to go through and label every individual “bubble” for navigation, or would you approach things top-to-bottom patching up errors?
The game runs perfectly and the *goto’s shouldn’t hinder performance, they just will likely make things messy. It doesn’t help that the order of the story arranged in code is different than how it appears in both Chronicler and the normal game.
Under the dropdown, I’ll have an example image of what you’d be dealing with, I just want to make sure I’m not wasting my time finishing a story that can’t be navigated.
This is one of the simplest and smallest scenes where the player character will be able to select a preset name, or input their own. I will note, in this scene, the code is actually somewhat in order with story plays out. An instance where this isn’t the case is the beginning of chapter 1, where in the same scene the player selects their stats. Well, to the program, the header and intro paragraph which should be first actually appear hundreds of lines down, whereas the stats which appear towards the end of the scene are at the top. It gets jumbled at times, especially with longer more complex scenes.
Here it is in code form.
And here it is in playable form.