Consolidated Thread for Music to Write To

All my ideas of storys are based on music and sice i have 343 songs on my ipod…

But i mostly listen to Monstercat and Spinnin Records

I write best when i listen to music

I usually buy music off the iTunes but sometimes I use grooveshark

But I usually listen to hip hop rap or RnB or soul I don’t like one certain genre I like any song I like

I’m mostly a rock/metal kinda guy, but there are some surprises in my collection, like Information Society, INXS, and traditional Celtic instrumentals. Oh, and Barry White and disco music. My collection is somewhere around 7,000 songs.

I don’t listen music when i write i lost the flow. But i listen music to inspire me i love gothic music but not the actual its too heavy, i like Enigma The cure some Evanescence. And soundtrack the Deux ex human revolution and Vangelis Blade runner is sounding right know in my stereo.

I listen to ABBA, sure it will force to to mouth the words - But work gets done.

Depending on what I’m working on I’ll go for earbuds or those headphones like DJ’s wear for total focus and concentration.

I listen to either 90’s trance music, classical music, or nothing at all. Absolutely no lyrics allowed or I can’t write anything. 90’s trance is surprisingly good as it keeps the energy going.

I’ve found that the structure of dubstep works really well when I’m writing fight scenes, even if I don’t normally listen to the stuff otherwise.

Other than that, I go for stuff with lyrics, usually something in the rock or electronic genres. Almost every part of what I write tends to have a theme song, so it keeps me focused on the mood of a particular scene when I have it playing.

Most of it’s Metallica, Disturbed, Within Temptation, David Guetta, Muse, etc.
Honestly, I think I get so distracted by writing that I tune out whatever I’m listening to 90% of the time, so the lyrics thing doesn’t bother me in the slightest. :smiley:

I’m also curious if anyone ever thinks about what the ending theme song to their story would be, or is that just me being weird by myself again? I mean, in video games (anime as well, now that I think about it) there’s usually that song in the end credits that generally has little, if anything, to do with the plot. It just kind of says “Hey, great, you finished. Have some awesome music!”.

I have a play list on Spotify which varies a LOT seriously on shuffle it can go from the Feeling to Dusty Springfield to Bon Jovi to Buddy Holly to David Guetta lol

@CS_Closet Since some music inspires me to write certain scenes or stories, I imagine not only ending music but different songs for different scenes as well. One scene in my game already has a song in my head, and I haven’t even fully written it yet…the opening of Valley of the Kings by Blue Murder.

@DaveDPF, you just inspired me to listen to Information Society for the first time in over a decade. Pure Energy and Come With Me are going to be on heavy rotation for a while. Thanks…

I am not a fan of techno-pop, but InSoc was just plain fun to listen to. I love their music…and Amanda was hot.

I will say that whilst she’s not exactly who I write to, I find anything the lovely and immensely talented gal Lindsey Stirling does to be fun and creative

Dusting this off… of all the “epic music” soundtracks on YouTube, this is the one I keep coming back to as writing background music. Memorable without being intrusive.

I’ve also been enjoying writing to Fink after hearing their song “Warm Shadow” in a memorably scored bit of The Walking Dead.

Edit: oh, and Sylvan Esso. Terrific album.

An Ending by Brian Eno. Sometimes I’ll put it on repeat for an hour or two if things are going well.

I’ve been really into Explosions in the Sky for writing music. It keeps me focused, for some reason.

I like listening to music that is thematically consistent with my story, so this weekend I will be jamming and writing to the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack.

I personally love the Attack on Titan soundtrack when I’m writing and Requiem for a Dream. Though I usually have to find a different song that matches the scene I’m making

In regards to compilations and since I happen to be a major super hero fan, there’s a guy I know who creates these awesome selections of music for key heroes. This is an hour long one for Batman, mixing music from Batman (1989), Batman Returns, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Rises, plus the incredible game scores for Arkham City and Arkham Origins.

And here is a half hour compilation for Superman, mixing tracks from the original Superman films with Chris Reeve, Superman Returns with Brandon Routh and Man of Steel with Henry Carvill.

Whenever I write with a pen and paper, my mind plays the Death Note Epic Writing Theme.

Watch “Death Note Epic Writing Scene” on YouTube
Death Note Epic Writing Scene: http://youtu.be/GSeEnBMqgYo