Chronicon Apocalyptica — Save medieval England from an ancient evil!

I guess I misunderstood something about changes being made since the beta version, in that case I’m sorry especially bc I have the feeling that I might have been too forceful about asking this question. Thanks for clearing it up.
Anyway I like the characters and still think that your game is an enjoyable read.

2 Likes

Out of curiousity, i remember in the viking camp, after Bladeswith ask me to bestow a bless on her, she asked me to stay the night with her and there was a scene with her …

This option and scene was removed later, and it had been label as a bug … but i think there was nothing wrong with the romance plot , that’s the reason why i feel the romance with Bladeswith had been removed :slight_smile:

Not really… I have never met or known a lesbian…so you are the first

Yeah, that wasn’t a romantic overture, though.

2 Likes

Each game made is a journey of growth for the author.

As @HannahPS says, having fleshed out friendships is very nice and something not usually encountered. I’m pretty sure @r_davis’s next game will have even more improvements.

I enjoyed the Broadway game and this game expanded on the historical world-buiilding aspects that I think are r_davis’ strength. Yet, he no doubt learned some lessons about the limits of conforming to such a world with the name issue. That issue doesn’t take away from the very strong historical aspects he does so well.

It is the same with the relationships. There is growth from one game to the next, so that is all I can expect and would want to ask for.

I look forward to the next offering from one of my favorite historical IF writers here :slight_smile: I’m sure I’ll enjoy it as I enjoyed the past two offerings as well.

8 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Historical CoG Games

I finally got around to finishing this book and, if I’m honest, it’s probably one of my favorite CoGs.

Admittedly, the stats threw me off every step of the way and I’m sure I failed a huge amount of the stat checks. I didn’t find it a massive blow, though it would’ve been helpful if there were specific indicators of what stat we’d need.

I loved the story, though. When I read the demo I was somewhat apprehensive; I wasn’t sure if Wulfstan and the hand would turn up again or if Lioba would have a bigger role besides our assistant, but I was pleasantly surprised with the direction it took.

I’ll just put stuff in a summary or two since I’m probably gonna write a fair bit? idk but obvious spoilers

Characters

I found it really hard to raise the relationship stats (my highest was Hereweard at 55%, not sure if they’re supposed to go higher) but regardless I enjoyed almost every interaction with them. I was unsure about pretty much all of them upon their introductions, Lioba and Blædswith especially, but I wound up loving them all by the end, even Wulfstan. I was somewhat surprised because I usually don’t care for the characters I won’t end up romancing, yet I felt the need to protect and love everyone :thinking:

I tried romancing Hereweard, but he left in Worcester and I was reluctant to make him stay because he seemed so happy :sob: My MC seemed to get over it fairly quickly though since they got with Wulfstan very soon after. That also didn’t work out but I expected it all along :man_shrugging:
They were both super interesting characters, though. Hereweard for his mutual love of bees and raiding background and Wulfstan simply because of the rival dynamic I’m so in love with. Wulfstan’s change in allegiance at the climax was very well written I think. The scene where the elf imprisoned MC and a chosen ally (Wulfstan in this case) was probably one of my favorites.

Lioba is probably my second favorite character in the book. She annoyed me at first with all the secrets but her composure and closeness with the MC were so endearing to read. She really felt like a partner to the MC honestly, from what I can remember she was in almost every scene that wasn’t personal.

I could never get Blædswith to back down from a fight and in the end she went off by herself and was never heard from outside of rumors but I think something would’ve been lost without her :confused: I don’t have a ton I can say about her since I never got her to open up nor stick around at the end but that just means I’ll have to read it again!

Deorwine, I could probably have done without for most of the story. He never had his moments until the end and like Blædswith I never got him to open up (I never actually got anyone to open up) but he shone right at the end with the elf. I was expecting him to be a demon or something but I guess he was just using his charisma? Idk, MCs constant suspicion of him threw me off but that scene was pretty badass ngl!

My favorite character was most certainly the Tremulous Hand. It might just be because I love The Addams Family but the way the hand was written was so endearing and I’m happy it didn’t turn out to just be a little “side quest” so to speak.

Story

I messed up a lot because of stat checks but I just played it off as my MC being inexperienced (does playing as a teacher or a trainee monk give higher stats than a student?) which I think worked to my advantage when reading, if that makes sense.

As I said before I was pretty apprehensive about the first couple of chapters and this lasted until Wulfstan joined us, I’d say. I wasn’t sure where the plot was going and whether most of what we were doing wasn’t just a quick stop along the way but boy was I surprised.

I’m a big fan of having small actions early on lead to something down the line whether big or small. Feeding the cat and having (I forgot his name) mention our hospitality when he turns up again was a surprise, as was treating the hand nicely. I’m super intrigued to find out how different scenes play out if we act a bit harsher, which gives me greater incentive to play again on top of bonding with the characters.

I feel like I’m rambling here because I keep forgetting what I want to say as I type it so everything’s coming out half baked but :man_shrugging: I’m sick give me a break, I just like the story

I wasn’t too fazed by the romance, but I don’t think that’s necessarily the draw of the story. There were places (stats) where it could have been better, but I enjoyed interacting with everyone despite the issues.

I’m not the biggest fan of historical games, but this one had more than enough fantasy to keep me invested and didn’t go over the top with it (something I also dislike.)

2 Likes

Can anyone help me with the witch quest??? How to prove her innocence??? She always turn out to be a witch.

1 Like

I think it need to deal with persuasion and charisma
I only did it once

I think you just have to “win” the trial by earning enough points and then just choosing to believe that she’s innocent. I’ve gotten the option every time I’ve done the trial by playing to my character’s strengths but I can’t say specifically what you have to do.

Regarding stats, once you get a handle on how they’re referred to it becomes much easier to predict which one is going to be challenged. If the choice is about being straightforward and upfront then it’s probably going to test your “substance” stat, for instance.

@Sailendranath_Murmu @Phoe77 is right. The chapter has a temporary hidden variable that tracks how well you’re doing with your interactions with the trial. Passing normal stat tests will raise it high enough that whatever you choose is correct (although if you defer to Edwin, she will always be guilty). As for passing stat tests in general, I tried to be fairly straightforward and include key words associated w/ the stat in the choice, so if it is about being straightforward, it’s probably honor or determination, if it’s about methodical, it will use that word or talk about careful study of something, etc.

3 Likes

I have noticed that when I am looking for fame, if I am nice to my companion, the relationship drops but and they say they don’t trust me. But if I say I don’t care about them but only myself, then relationship increase and they open up to me. Is it intensional??

@Sailendranath_Murmu
Typically, Fame is a selfish stat, so it might not work as well with being nice to people; however, it depends a bit on the example. If you want to msg. me the passage, I’ll look at the code.

I can give you a small example…

When lioba try to convert the farmer who let the gang stay in his barn… I choose the option that said ’ I am glad you are taking the initiative, that what I want in my assistant '. And she was like, don’t bullshit me… I know you very well and you aren’t being honest.

Cunning or fame…??? Because of these stats they probably don’t trust me…

@Sailendranath_Murmu
If you are going for fame choice is testing your service (you all working together) stat, so it would make sense that she would doubt your sincerity. Reprimanding her because you are the one in authority will test fame.

3 Likes

Ohh… I guess then I am at fault here, since I don’t properly understand what stat means what. Or should I say I don’t understand properly what stat is related to which choice. I guess it will take some time to get used to the relation between those.

@Sailendranath_Murmu
You’re definitely not at fault! Some of them are indeed a bit vague. Stats are hard!

4 Likes

How come my hetrosexual male character keeps ending up making out with the (male) beekeeper? I think something might be being recorded wrong.

The game has really a nice writing, but come on man, only two evil choices in the whole game, really?? Is this truly a story with choice?

First one when you have the opportunity to kill brutally one noresman and second is blackmailing your mate to make him stay fight for you. That`s all.

Seeing as I like getting achievements I try to get them all in these games but I am having… issues getting one, it’s one one the secret Achievements, that after looking up a list of all the chivo’s including secret ones I learned was called Charmed and I have been trying to puzzle out how to get it, could anyone give me some hints?

1 Like