Choices: And Their Souls Were Eaten (fantasy steampunk)

I love all of the three interactive novels on choices that matter but I loved and the sun went out.

Moti!!!
I need a sequel :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::tired_face::weary:
My trick was watching ads while watching tv I do that with lots of games and get rich I got about 600 choices and played and I have 172 left ( I watched more ads though):yum:
I like these better than most CoG or HG games because of the sheer length and it keeps me interested.
Go Sharon, Go!!

2 Likes

Hey, weird question, but if you had to sort the main characters in both Sun and Souls into a Myers-Briggs personality type, what would they be?

If you’re not familiar with that term, then that’s alright too. ^^

1 Like

Ooh, what an interesting question. I’m an INFJ and a lot of my friends are INFPs or INTPs.

Hmm. Well the most developed characters are the romantic interests.

I would say Etienne is ISFP.

Sharon is ESFJ.

Mary is INFJ.

Kamenwati is INFP.

But that’s a very rough characterisation!

1 Like

I really loved this game played it day and night to see every choice even skipped work .I feel like there nothing left to do .I never finish the first story but i loved the other two .I heard there a sequel to the Nox story which i would loved to play if anyone knows about …?

p.s

Blockquote:thinking: i notice there a small mistake in the story i never went to soul school but later i had a option to write to my friends

What’s that I hear? Someone wants more??

I’m sure you already know there are other stories (one finished, one ongoing) in the “Choices That Matter” app.

I’ve recently labelled alllll my steampunk fantasy stories & games my “Steam and Sorcery” series (including, within that, the novel trilogy known as “The Antipodean Queen” trilogy, starting with “Heart of Brass”). It’s all listed in a semi-coherent order at https://felicitybanks.wordpress.com/2017/10/02/all-steampunk/

The third novel is getting edited right now (Charles Dickens appears briefly), and “Emmeline’s Empire” will be delivered to the first customers from mid-June onwards.

Sorry about that soul school error. Do you remember where you were/what you were doing at the time? I might be able to track it down and fix it.

Just wanted to pop back into this thread to say that I’m (theoretically!) finished all my steampunk fantasy universe tales, and selling the whole lot as a Steampunk & Sorcery set for $100AU (including three novels, Google Play codes to “And their souls were eaten” AND “attack of the clockwork army”, and an immersive short story at the end that includes jewellery, art, and a song.

It’s all at FelicityBanks.wordpress.com/store

3 Likes

Is there any guide for the game? So I can know how the other paths play out.

There’s no official guide but there are usually three paths happening simultaneously (eg Austria, Spain, The Netherlands), with four paths for the climax (Nox tells the PC what they are, and recommends the most likely to succeed).

Hi
In ‘And the sun went out’ could you tell who all can be saved at the end apart from the RO s? I went to Moscow. The RO s,Delores,Astronauts,the kids,Santine,Wong and Chase were alive in the end.Can we save Crank? He got shot by an unknown woman whom I think is Everdale (I did not meet her in my playthrough).And what happens to the driver Eugene?And Maki ,the woman in the rubble?

1 Like

The Moscow strand was written by the brilliant (and deadly) Alyce Potter. Shall I forward your question to her?

1 Like

That would be wonderful.Thank you so much.

1 Like

Okay I’m going to spoiler this just in case people are reading this who haven’t gone to the soul school. If you’ve gone to the soul school in London, go ahead and keep reading.

There are some continuity issues with the path I chose which results in the player character [spoiler]eating Charlie’s soul in Arc 2 and then talking to the living, breathing Charlie the very next day.

Here is a complete list of all the choices I made leading up to this scenario:

Arc 1

1. You always knew your family was too well-known to hide for long
2. Flee into the woods
3. “What do you want from me?”
4. “I really don’t want your aunt catching me here.”
5. “The forest is my domain too.”
6. Prepare for a fight.
7. Hide and watch.
8. Lure her into a trap.
9. Pray.
10. Check Nox is dead.
11. Build a fire.
12. “What are you?”
13. “That wasn’t me. I never hurt you – and nor did Evelyn.”
14. Press on – carefully.
15. Go home to Scarsdale.
16. Mother is going to love the white fur coat you’ll make her.
17. Make camp before you meet any other people.
18. Climb the southern cliff at once.
19. “You killed my sister. I will always hate you.”
20. “Oh please, your threats bore me.”
21. Order her to remain silent from now on.
22. Move deeper into the forest.
23. Call out a greeting.
24. Go into the hall.
25. Light a fire.
26. “No!”
27. Check your surroundings are secure.
28. Ask Nox to help you.
29. Make noise to scare the intruder.
30. Don’t respond.
31. Let her fall.
32. Fight her.
33. “Nox! Help me!”
34. “How about I knock all your teeth out?”
35. Trap her in the hall.
36. “What happens if I cut off your head?”
37. “What made you what you are now?”
38. Fight.
39. Put the lid back on and pile rocks on top.
40. Travel east, for London.
41. Talk to him.
42. Press on.
43. Get clean and presentable before you enter civilization.

Arc 2
1. Run!
2. “You can have my iron spearhead.”
3. “Thank you Miss… er…”
4. Knock on Charlie’s door.
5. “I’ll take what I’m given.”
6. Help the machine out of the grass.
7. Smile and nod acceptance of her invitation.
8. Focus on what Charlie says.
9. Distract yourself with the work desk.
10. Beg for mercy.
11. “Please just raid the store room. Take as much as you want.”
12. Try to knock something over so it makes a noise.
13. Turn back into a human.
14. Focus on just one leg, so you can break Nox’s rhythm.
15. Try to make Nox roar, alerting other people who might help.
(Kill Charlie, who asks you to eat his soul.)
16. Surrender. (top option)
17. “Hunting down an innocent man was your decision, not theirs.”
18. Stay awake
19. Call to be let out at once.
(Charlie’s soul gets eaten.)
20. “The bear will come back tonight, and tomorrow night.”
21. “Last night you forfeited your right to speak.”
22. “How can I ever trust you ‘honor’ after all you’ve done?”
23. “I… all right. But you can’t harm humans.”
24. “Who is it? Who’s there?”
(Living, breathing Charlie appears!)
25. Go with them
[/spoiler]

I somehow came across this while trying to get the elusive otter as my shapeshifting form. I read one of your old replies that stated the player needs to not eat Adam’s soul, avoiding fighting Nox for as long as possible, and also to flee into the woods at every opportunity in Arc 1. I feel I’ve tried every possible combination and still can’t get it, so there must be something else that I’m missing, which is why the choices I made above deviate from the ones you recommended. After experiencing this continuity problem, however, I think it’s possible the otter result somehow got lost and is currently not obtainable at all.

Would it be possible for you to tell me if there’s something else I’m missing (and what it is) that would result in becoming an otter?

Thank you!

Thank you so much for all that detail and I’m sorry about that error (both the reincarnated Charlie and the lack of otter). I’m making a list of continuity errors and planning an epic edit, but I’m terrified of diving back in and adding more mistakes so it may be a while before I untangle these complicated errors :confused:

1 Like

Oh no, I meant to put that all in spoiler tags, I’ll have to go back and edit it.

So it’s true that it’s currently not possible to get the otter result? That does at least explain why I wasn’t having any luck haha. No big deal though, I can go back and play the story at a later date.

You’re the first person to say that getting otter may be impossible (yay?) but it certainly sounds like you’ve investigated thoroughly.

I’ve gone over it from the beginning to the part where you get an animal form probably 7 times or so, and during this recent playthrough, I decided to go into London after the castle ruins rather than continuing on to Barrows. I definitely feel confident in saying there’s nowhere in Arc 1 I haven’t been, but it’s still possible I missed something.

Oh well, I mostly wanted to let you know about the continuity error, but it sounds like you’ll get it worked out eventually. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a way to save France and Lady King-Noel?

You can save France, but Lady King-Noel is doomed. She’s based on Ada Lovelace, who was really pregnant at the time. Hiding one’s soulless state with an unborn child was too good a twist to leave undone.

Regarding the otter, here’s the lowdown on all animal forms:

Each animal is based on two previous choices, but the main choice is whether the PC chose to fight Nox in the first week, or tried to avoid conflict as much as possible.

Rat and greyhound are both fighters - that is, when it looked like Nox was stalking your PC, he/she/they chose to fight (possibly partway through running away). So to get different results, avoid fighting with Nox as much as possible in Arc 1.1.

The other three animals are deer, otter, and sparrow.

All three avoid fighting with Nox in that first week. Deer and otter also flee to the forest (immediately—they don’t eat Adam’s soul), while sparrow goes directly to the soul school after Nox is dead.

1 Like

Oh, and by the way? I’m currently writing a prequel (in ChoiceScript) in which Doctor Brunet aka Nox is the viewpoint character. It’s pretty cool, if I do say so myself :slight_smile:

There’s a list of all the different stories (and novels) I’ve written in the same steampunk world at Steampunk Stories – Shooting Through

6 Likes