Choice of Rebels: Uprising — Lead the revolt against a bloodthirsty empire!

I actually came across her life story in a guesthouse in Nepal and read through it, thinking the whole time that it was very very Choice of Rebels. :slight_smile: It was when I’d already written almost all of Game I, so I can’t say it was a significant influence, but it would be a terrific model for a tragic helot bandit protagonist.

Probably.

7 Likes

Choice of Rebels has a system of currency, the use of staters and silver. I am wondering what is the value of staters and silver. Can a single piece of silver buy a lot, for the average person? Our view is somewhat skewed, I think, whether we are a Helot or a Aristo. It is like the Aristo’s noble house. The house dealt with silvers, it says, and not staters. That the family wealth was tied up in trading, that is all gone because the protagonist rebels. How much wealth did the family possess before the rebellion? What is a lot of money to an impoverished but still titled and landed aristocratic house?

I ask because I do wonder on the value of all the loot my rebellion gained. In some playthroughs, I managed to gather some 20,000 to 30,000 (and a few time plus that) in silver. So, is 300 staters considered to be a fortune in this game world, even to a wealthy family?

The maximum money I achieve was 1500 no kidding. lol wow you are amazing

1 Like

Really? A single weapon purchased costs your rebellion 100 silver each. To outfit an army of a few hundred, you will need tens of thousands of silver to pay for all the arms. You must have achieved more than 1500 silver.

Welcome to Mara rebellion. You must be new. 42 rebels Absolutely no violence, no weapons no raids no anarchy no steal . And When I say no Violence I mean it until the end my men only defend themselves not attack our cause any havoc. So I get no money no loot no weapons except what people donate to me. Evil Gandhi

4 Likes

Ah, that would explain it. I did try out that route, just to see what it would be like, but I just couldn’t stand it. The Rebellion was in such a sorry state, it broke my heart. It is interesting, though, that if you are peaceful then your people hate you for it, but if you are ruthless then they love you, even with high death tolls.

You will have to tell me how your playthrough works out in the coming books. I would be interested to know if there is benefit to that style of play. :slight_smile:

No they love you and moral is strong in fact i have no absolute issue in my power and none of my people let me or go rogue. In fact winter is a bliss and don’t lose a single person. I even achieve to defeat my enemy using a team effort They were defeated by desperation. Probably the most important defeat in proportion in Hegemony. All their troops against 20 people and they can’t win.

In fact my pacific troops of 20 manage to kill the mages and the plektoi with only 6 deaths… Yeah
Probably you in your pacifist try didn’t choose the most important choices. First don’t stop the Harrowing and Charisma as absolutely main skill. Only way to communicate pacifism is through Charisma lol

3 Likes

It sounds like an amazing playthrough. I’m definitely going to try one where I don’t stop the harrowing, but for my main PTs I just can’t stomach it. I love Elery too much (even if she’s constantly grumpy when I choose Zvad as LT) and I don’t want to lose any of the others, either.

Anyway, I have plans for a full pacifist playthrough, but I keep being set back by trying to perfect my “main” charisma MC, Esme.

2 Likes

My pacifist strategy is basically don’t doing anything and talking a lot and being noble. It’s even funny, because is a helot hater that has to pretend to like helots That’s why I called Mara Evil Gandhi .

1 Like

I tried one playthrough where I let Elery and others die cause my character froze with fear, but nah can’t do it I like Elery too much (also why I make Breden my deputy so often is because I can’t stand Elery being hostile toward me)

Also wondering how much haughty aristo who holds no sympathy for helots is going to end regretting that behavior :thinking:
Like Linos warns haughty aristo that if she truly does not care for helots, better beware for the day when they realize it…I wanna see that happening. Course I had to create serious playthrough as haughty aristo, but will I have the stomach to handle that :unamused:

2 Likes

There is a thing called lie and pretending… A thing Politics and rebels are very good at. Or do you think Robespiere said during the early revolt. *" If you join us you will be killed because you don’t say The name of the new month and the new goddess right. All your son and daughter will die because famine and our own secret police after torture will guillotine all over the village. Nothing will remain" * Same for Stalin Hitler, Lenin …
If you don’t stop harrowing you never know Elery and the kids so you cannot mourn something you never knew. Your people is happy due all are adults, healthy and doing a good job for something they believe, without violence and fear. Nobody dies and they even learn to do new things.

My character is not Vlad , is against Harrowings and pretend stability and a feudalism with no slaves… Okay it is not a democracy avocado… But having rights , not being murdered and being able marry with whatever and have the children they please i think is a good argument my men think the same.

1 Like

I am not a bloody aristo as I said ZERO violence. My character is more the good medieval ruler. That is just and fair with lessers but still believe they are lessers. This game setting is not modern so I can’t feel a democracy human rights from 1950 credible.

I have more fun playing as aristos who think they’re being super fair and egalitarian but still mostly come across as ignorant children when they try to empathize with the helots. Of course, a lot of how I develop my MCs going forward depends on how the supporting cast will change. And in the case of Reynard, on whether my intuitions about Breden are disproven or validated.

I couldn’t claim it’s realistic, in particular. It’s just my preferred style of play. And it’s just a matter of time before I develop an MC who’s a bit more, hmm, an enlightened autocrat? I guess that’s how they would describe themself.

I am sure that Machiavelli would have a few things to say about your governance style. :wink:

The Ancient Greeks did have a democracy, even to the point that the public had a direct say in the running of the country. The government even tried to pay people to show up and vote, apparently. But, for me, I quite liked the idea of the old Shayardian way of ruling; feudalism! :grin:

You know, the Hegemony reminds me a lot of the Tevinter Imperium, with all the blood magic and all. I imagine that ancient Tevinter would not be unlike the Hegemony in Rebels, and the protagonist becoming a Eclect screams parallels with Andraste, who is rumoured to be a mage herself in the Dragon Age lore. I wonder if people will come to think of the protagonist in a similar way to Andraste; the bride / bridegroom of Xthonos. :thinking:

Thinking of Blood Magic, if you choose not to use the scroll that makes you a Theurge, would the protagonist still be useful to the Rebellion? Or would they be smart but largely useless; not a fighter, not all that good with words, and not a blood mage.

2 Likes

It is a directly game over. In fact game assumes you are a Blood mage. For instance I tried a pacific not charisma intelligent based character. I no recommend that to anyone due is impossible . (I achieve it barely after loose half of people and could no feed myself or anyone) So no blood not anything I don’t even read the book at all.Due my character was religious and think magic as a blasphemy. Well I was alone in the forest due everyone’s dearh except like ten and games says using your magic blood… like Wtf magic and it was like my only option so I stop playing.

Basically my experience with game shows 90% of character builds i could imagine are absolutely impossible The level of difficulty are especially setting up for few ways and everything out of that is directly a failure. I understand that could be cool for metagamers but for me as role player has limited my replay value to zero . I know that if I don’t play the ortodox way I am doomed to die so my play through 999% never actually seen the save to next game. Except for Mara.
I should try sometime the mc rest of people plays with but for me is just boring save the kids

…except against the mages with the Plektoi, from the sounds of it? To get a nonviolence achievement, you should need to hold off on killing them, too.

7 Likes

Lol, I am Spanish If someone attacks you hell if you return the strike and eye for an eye. As I said I believe in legitimate defense as a natural law. You poke a bee hive bee hive attacks you. Bee hive doesn’t give you a hug.

@Havenstone Someday I should try not defend myself. But in character I can’t, Mara will defend their own lives. I am pacific Mara not Hippie Mara :wink:

2 Likes

If by “democracy” you mean “the wealthiest men, consisting of about 2.5% of the population,” then yeah, the “public” had a direct say in the running of the country.

11 Likes

Can’t remember if this has been asked before, but will future games include an option to convert to a different religion? The first game does an amazing job at making religion (and skepticism) a fleshed-out subject, but I would hope that the series does not keep religion to the binary choice of either worshipping Xthonos or embracing the philosophy of Kenosis.

1 Like

Since a sexless sham of a marriage to something that doesn’t even exist would be a fate worse than death any parallels to Andraste would be something my mc would do his utmost to avoid. You’d be consigning yourself to be nothing more then a powerless symbol and a martyr for whomever comes out on top. If we follow Dragon Age then the equivalent to the Orlesians who profited most from Andraste would be the Laconniers. For my mc about the last people he’d want to help.

That’s a branch our dear author did not want to write or fully explore. My guess is the best case of that would be that the mc can impress enough people with their knowledge to still form their own faction but not remain the overall leader and it would require you to go with the moot/appella primitive democratic or at least government by council power-structure in order for such an mc to retain significant long-term influence on and of their own.

Speaking more personally fear of such irrelevance is exactly my mc’s main motivation for his stalling when it comes to teaching Yebben magic as losing the magic powers advantage too early would render my mc’s newfound position far more vulnerable then he’d like at this stage.

I think those 90% seem to assume the mc would have a natural base of power to build on already. which is not true in this game, not even for the “aristo”. You have to build and maintain your power and authority all by yourself (at least for the first game) with all the ugliness that entails.

1 Like