Choice of Rebels: Uprising — Lead the revolt against a bloodthirsty empire!

It’s easiest as 2INT. Check out my guide on Steam. Ramidel also has a guide in these threads.

3 Likes

As i looked into Chapter 2 spoilers a question came to my mind. Will you be able to work out a cooperation between leaguers and laconiers(perhaps as 2CHA character with good noble reputation)?

3 Likes

I don’t think so. Some enmities go too deep for a mere 2 or 3 CHA to repair. (You’ll get a stat bump in G2 Chapter 1.) But let’s see how the writing of it goes.

7 Likes

Well then, it’s time to go whole hog on the Laconnier, they have better branding than the Leaguers, haha!

Though I am curious about one thing, if it can be talked about:

How much progress have the Laconniers made on figuring out Blood Magic? They have many more resources to bring to bear than a 2INT Helot in the Outer Rim.

1 Like

Okay. I wonder what will happen with factions that you do not choose to support/align with. I hope you will not need to commit purges or something like that on them

They’re also under much closer scrutiny by Kryptasts. Let’s just say they haven’t got there yet.

You’ll certainly have a choice. The consequences of choosing to purge or not to purge will vary based on the situation.

6 Likes

Finally the Hegemony is working to our benefit. :wink:
It will be absolutely crucial to get and stay ahead of the Laconniers in the magical game. As a last resort a deal with the devil could be made with the Leaguers, though obviously that really would be a last resort for my mc to stop any sort of Laconnier ascendancy and hopefully it won’t have to come to that.

“Are you or have you ever been a Laconnier?” Although to engage in that my mc would first have to get some semblance of a grand apella up and running.

2 Likes

I hope Cerlota is persuadable, if not by the voice of the angles revealing theurgy to all people, then at least by the idea that no one gets Harrowed and no one starves.

I mean as long as the rouge mages don’t kill any more people than standard harrowing it’s practically break even.

3 Likes

So… I played winter once again and did tax collector raid. Will it have some consequences in later game? Perhaps as some nobles like Ismene being more favoured to your cause?

Yes. If you approached Ismene,

“I think we reached an understanding.” The ${taxweek} week of winter, you think to yourself. If I can trust her—and I think I can. “Let’s find a place where we’ll be inconspicuous until nightfall.”
set cred_a +8

Conversely, if you entrapped her (and got her Harrowed), the Nobles won’t like it.

2 Likes

@Havenstone,Would you say people are more separated by class or national culture in XoR? There is a huge gulf between helots, religious authorities/the aristocracy, and whats in-between. On the other hand the 4 provinces have various differing beliefs, behaviors, languages, practices and expressions.

1 Like

Ok guys, I’m getting into Sabres/Guns of Infinity for now.

But when I have the time, I will post a new guide on Steam for this game (and link from the Wiki). It’s not too difficult, but the guide will have to be line-by-line because it requires specific plays to work (eg I have Radmar do the Mine Raid even though he semi-botches it, so I can preserve a Theurgy use for the Architelone Run.)

2INT/1CHA Helot
Comp/Dev/Home
Jailbreak Start
Inner Voice (!)

Fun build to play, you have Bleys and big money while butchering the Archon.

4 Likes

Class divides in the Hegemony yawn pretty wide – and cut across provinces, since they’re the basis for the blood economy that ties them together.

The Hegemony has also done its best to keep national culture from becoming too much of a separator, with the imposition of Koine, the religion of Xthonos, and institutions like the Syntechnia, Phalangites, and Alastors as common cultural media stretching across the continent.

So yes, I’d say that class is more of a divider in the Hegemony of Game One. But to take a real-world example, that was also the case in Afghanistan of the 1970s, when people of multiple ethnic backgrounds but the same class were united by ideology. (The Kabul Polytechnic of that era feels in retrospect a bit like Hogwarts – the elite school where kids got their practice in leading different factions for the civil war to come.)

With each year of violence, the salience of ethnicity grew greater, as non-kin, non-language affinities were broken by war. By the 1990s, you had the Khalqi hardline Communist faction joining hands with Gulbuddin Hekmetyar’s Hizb-i-Islami to try (unsuccessfully) to oust the ruling faction from power. Pashtun ethnic identity had become a more significant unifying factor than their ideologies, which were polar opposites.

Something like that might happen to the Hegemony. Cosmopolitan institutions are fragile; even if you support them, not all will survive the war.

10 Likes

Which will, of course, create complications when plenty of Shayardene nobles will have to decide whether they’re ethnic Karagonds or Shayardenes, be distrusted by their chosen side as fair-weather turncoats and hated by the other side as traitors.

It was interesting seeing GIRoA trying to deliberately rebuild and build new cosmopolitan institutions like the ANA to somewhat laughable effect. Not sure how much of that was directed by the occupation forces, but my raw ANA recruits came to me in rainbow coalition companies without even a common language of command. The dominance of the Tajiks in the officer and SNCO corps was obvious though.

Seeing the stark ethnic, language, and cultural divides among the more pro-government element of the population left me pretty skeptical of the long term viability of Afghanistan as a state.

3 Likes

Well, part of how India solved that problem is that they made English an official language and didn’t phase it out, in large part because there’s no way South India would consent to linguistic domination in Hindi. Wonder if that could work in Afghanistan…

Will MC be able to meet Zvad in next chapters if he will leave the band before the battle? If yes, would it be possible to convince him to rejoin rebellion?

We can already signal our intent in-game to keep to common language going, even if it would be a relic of Karagond domination and my mc would of course intend to go further than India and have it remain the sole official language, at least for the purpose of govenment and legal documentation

Abolishing slavery and the helot and noble classes in particular is also the main ideological justification for my mc’s brand of rebellion. He does not strongly identify as Shayardene and, yes, that is at least in part because the only culture he ever got to really experience was the oppressive slave culture, which is why he does have some trouble understanding the strong(er) importance the leaguers and Laconniers place on national or ethnic identity.

Just so long as the religion survives. My Aristo-Eclect has big plans for an enlightened authoritarian theocracy.

Not until Game 3. But then yes, you’ll have a shot.

5 Likes