Choice of Rebels-Uprising Help/Hints

there was no such thing there, i have no idea where you read that, the
opposite even
when you choose just to kiss her, she pushes the matter

He is the writer, so I think he knows better than you :stuck_out_tongue:.

7 Likes

Is there only one dateable character?

There are 3 actually, Breden, the noble (Simon/Suzane) and the firebrand (Kalt/Kala). Though the noble and the firebrand are mutually exclusive, you only meet the noble with low anarchy and the firebrand with a high one.

1 Like

There are multiple threads that already answer this question or that you could’ve posted this question too instead go find them.

1 Like

This is the appropriate thread for asking that question in.

1 Like

Eiwynn moved it here. :slight_smile: It had been in a new thread.

5 Likes

spoiler

So what question determines what exactly your sexuality is? I haven’t been using any guides or reading any tips because I don’t want any spoilers, but I just got to the point in my first playthrough where the female noble joins me but the first two options were grayed out and unselectable. The only one I could pick was the third that said something about me being the type of person who will never fall in love. So I guess somewhere along the way I picked an option that made my character asexual?

Choosing whichever Breden’s gender, that’s kind of the beginning of your sexuality. But you can always accept or reject his/her advances. Also Suzanne/Simon or Kalt coming along and there’s a choice if you’re attracted to them or not.

1 Like

That’s what I was talking about though. Suzanne came along and those two options were grayed out so all I could pick was the third option where it said I would never be attracted to anybody. After restarting and looking at the prologue choices the option to pick your sexuality is really unclear. If you want to romance someone of the opposite gender but you also want Brenden to be the same gender as you then you need to pick an option that also implies that your character is sexually attracted to him/her. So in that scenario in order to be straight later on you first need to pick an option that implies your character is gay? That’s really confusing.

Otherwise when asked what the first thing you notice about Brenden is, you can pick a 3rd option that talks about how you can see the desire in others eyes but you’ve never felt it yourself. If you pick that it goes into a second question where you can determine what gender Brenden is. I’m guessing that 3rd option is what made my character asexual and unable to pick any romance options but it was the logical choice since I wanted to be straight later on but also wanted Brenden to be male.

Oh well. Besides that single odd discrepancy this game is amazing. Gonna restart and do it right this time.

1 Like

Havenstone’s original intention was to declare that your character is physically attracted to Breden, no option B, though how far you act on that is your choice. He later relented by allowing an asexual option, but he holds you to your choices on sexual orientation, and if you have sexual interest in anyone, then Breden is a potential interest for you (while Simon/Suzane is only available to the bisexual).

1 Like

I believe the story arc with Breden has a lots of depth … Breden will give us the Kryptast code and with it, we can receive the powerful magical sword…think about it, with that code, our main character basically gain access to the Kryptast inner secret, so i can imagine if the main character is married to Breden…there will be lots of emotional storyline in it… Breden betray the Kryptast for the main character, if that is not consider faithfully loyal i don’t know what else is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which is what still irks me a bit, though I do think Simon is very cute, I don’t know if he and my mc will ultimately work out or indeed if I’m even comfortable with playing an obviously bisexual mc going forward. We’ll have to wait and see what the future brings I suppose and if an explicitly gay choice for those who are not attracted to the potentially male Breden at the start is going to be included later on.
As I said to one of my more apprehensive cousins after first coming out: “The fact that I’m gay does not mean I’m willing to jump in bed with every random guy and it certainly doesn’t mean I’m in any way, shape or form sexually attracted to you”.
Honestly the misconceptions and stereotypes about gay men are still shockingly prevalent even today and 12 years ago it was even worse still. :unamused:

In my headcanon though my mc used to have a mild crush on Dann (though he never actually worked up the courage to tell him back then) and a quite strong one on Ganelon (to whom he was apparently a vaguely amusing toy/distraction at best and less than filth at worst, as proven by the fact that he apparently gleefully became one of Hector’s sadistic little torturers, murderers and presumably rapists too. How much that really did hurt my mc, together with years of suffering under Hector and to a lesser degree his sister is a key component in my mc’s extreme current distrust and paranoia about the so-called “nobles” of Shayard and the Hegemony).

2 Likes

Whew. So I finally managed to get through ch 2 with decent numbers and I’m in ch 3 and having a blast. I’ve got a story question here maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. It’s about the part where when playing as a Helot you go to confront your father about something in the past and it turns into an argument about your mother:

(In reference to your mother) “Her seed was weak, not mine. Why didn’t they bloody Harrow her–did you think of that? Was she so righteous? For all her pretending that she’d never stoop to being ‘useful’ to Them? If it were my seed that was weak, you might have had a dozen little sisters and brothers, all looking like some Alastor or other. But no–she couldn’t even protect us that way. She left it all to me.”

So from what I’m gathering, he’s angry at the main character because his mother wasn’t fertile enough to have many children to help ease their suffering and so she left him with the burden of appeasing the Alastor in his eyes; which led him to do morally questionable things to survive. The part at the end about “If my seed was weak, you might have had a dozen little sisters and brothers from some Alastor or other” is really confusing to me though.

In Alya’s case, I’m simply ignoring her alleged bisexuality. It’s easy to do so in part in Chapter 1 because she’s too arrogant for Breden, and by the end is holding hands with Suzane, there is no Breden, and Alya has probably found her other half.

Breden isn’t the worst example of a “pushed” love interest in a COG (that is, a love interest who the game tells you that you’re interested in and tries to get you to romance) but there is definitely more pushing there than I like. Unless you’re an aristocrat, it’s impossible to even dislike them until it becomes apparent that there’s a traitor.

3 Likes

I’ve never said that, Heroes Rise with Black Magic and Psy High are far worse offenders here. I simply said it irks me a bit.

Agreed.

True, which is why as a helot the bisexuality thing with Simon is much harder to ignore. Which is why I’m hoping the later games might remedy that. I mean from all the discussions with Laguz in the past we know that non-binary mc’s also only really get to shine as such from game two onwards, so I’m hoping for something for cis-gay guys who might not be attracted to the possibly male Breden too in the latter installments.
No offense but male Breden is just not my mc’s kind of guy.

Of course in-game this might not really benefit my mc, as the further we get the more paranoid and consequently less receptive to romantic overtures he’s likely to become, but that is a secondary concern at best and not the author’s fault in any case.

And I never said you said that :slight_smile: I’m with you here - it’s just an irksome thing. It should be entirely possible for Breden to draw us into his revolt without us wanting to jump their bones.

3 Likes

Straight characters have only one RO in this game: Breden. As I’ve said elsewhere, apologies, but I’ve written a rebellion that is an extremely poor dating service.

There’s no “being straight later on.” Your choice when you first encounter Breden determines whether you’re attracted to men, women, or neither. The choice of “both” comes later, when you meet Kalt/a or Simon/Suzane. It is possible with a bit of squinting to ignore that, as @Ramidel says, and the author’s intent is binding on no one.

If you got the grayed-out option, it’s because you picked “I’ve never been attracted to anybody that way” with Breden. For readers who have asserted that their MC is asexual, I didn’t want a choice later on that basically asks, “did you really mean it?”

My primary intent with K and S was to have characters of the MC’s non-preferred gender who are in unrequited love with them. That plays into the deeper themes of the game when it comes to questioning what’s natural and unnatural. I didn’t want to exclude bi characters, so K/S also had to be romantic options… but only for bi MCs.

8 Likes

That first choice that popped up when we first meet Breden kind of confused me as well. Took me a few retries to get it.

I thought the first two options were purely for deciding what Breden’s gender would be, with the remark about them being attractive something a non-asexual would notice about Breden regardless of sexual orientation. The asexual option at the bottom I understood perfectly.

I guess I found it odd that our sexual orientation is tied directly to an NPC’s gender. But that’s just an odd kink I found about the game before, the author’s clarifications justified this for me so it’s not really an issue now.

I still love the game to bits (11/10, waiting for the sequel)