Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

Am enjoying the update immensely. One thought so far:
If I’ve been highly hospitable towards Horion and the priest, he still seems surprised that he would be released to go after declining an offer to stay. You might need to work up some flags to trip so he doesn’t seem so surprised.

(Yeah, probably a nitpick…but better to catch these things out now than have to go bug-swatting even more down the road)

1 Like

In a haphazard and unbalanced way. Don’t do any deep analysis on it as it is now. I’ll iron it out later.

And fair enough, too. What’s the guy thinking, posting unfinished work like that?

Yeah, I think I have a flag there but it’s either set too low or to the wrong stat. Thanks for catching that, definitely want to do the bug-swatting now!

and will xaos become the big bad in one of them?

Not literally, no. That would be a fun game, but it’s not the direction I want to steer this thing.

i think i found an error because if my character says he is not into men(an option to say during conversation with simon on chapter 2)shouldn’t he not even have the option to love hector and even kiss him?

Ah yes - I removed that flag during playtesting, but I’ll put it back now.

Ah, just the way I like it. I’ll update my notes, sit on them for awhile, and then give you feedback in one of the lulls wanted or otherwise.

I know it’s ridiculous! What does this guy expect from us? Bug testing? HA! Continuity errors? LOL! Feedback? ROFL!

I dunno if you’ve tweaked it for balance or if it’s off. But I raided the noble estate, smuggled for the traders, looted the temple, begged from helots and raided the garrison without sacking the town. And after all that I’m left with 110 wealth, I think I remember that before you’d gain much more wealth with those options. Especially since you get 100 for smuggling.

Yeah, the confusion over the distinction between wealth and the fleeting income you get from raids is one of the main reasons I’m going to restructure Ch 2. But it shouldn’t be new to this update – see my earlier explanation here: Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

Aha, I missed that explanation, but I guessed it was either a hidden mechanic like that or a bug.
By the way played through the update and I can only say your writing is very dope.

Is there gonna be way not to lose any ability points.

I distinctly remember a micro transaction.

Ah yes. I took that out too. I decided I didn’t like the idea.

Why not? Its not like your pressuring people to buy the micro transaction like EA or ubisoft or the dicks at bungie.

Kadmos Katenatou Lie-Breaker

Epithets
Called by his followers:
Lie-Breaker

Anarchy: 14
Ruthless: 26% Compassionate: 74%
Skeptical: 88% Devout: 12%
National: 42% Cosmopolitan: 58%
Charisma: 2
Combat: 0
Intellect: 1

Wealth: 200
Followers: 380
Arms: 68
Blood: 0

The rebels who will be remembered with you in legend include:

• Breden Reaper, charismatic and eloquent helot
  • Radmar Millstone, physically powerful and short-tempered helot
  • Elery Skinner, brilliant helot tactician
  • Zvad of Whendward, outlaw and ex-mercenary
  • Ciels Gamekeep, expert tracker and fighter
  • Suzane de Firiac, passionate and idealistic noble
  • Bleys Meriwether, former tax collector

Those who have died for the cause include:

HELOTS:
Though most helots still don’t trust you, your popularity and credibility as a leader are slowly growing.

ARISTOCRATS:
You are unpopular with your fellow aristocrats - those who have heard of your little rebellion, anyway.

PRIESTS:
The priests of Xthonos dislike you for your impious offenses against the Hegemony and its religion.

MERCHANTS:
While most merchants think your rebellion is bad for business, a few of them see opportunities in working with you.

1 Like

By the way if you choose Kenosis or being able to change the existing religion shouldn’t there be a separate bar indicating the chance of the people towards it?

@Havenstone

First, I have to commend you on attention to detail, a great update, and a generally wonderful piece of storytelling.

Of course, I will now follow that compliment with some minor critiques.

1. Outlaw is a bad name for the first game. You provide such a huge variety of choices on how to start the rebellion I feel like outlaw is limiting.

2. I think an aristocrat should be able to parlay directly with Calea rather than having to have a prior relationship with Hector to make it happen.

3. I feel like there should be a “keep you enemies close” aspect to making Brenden your deputy.

4. Why doesn’t anyone recognize the body if Brenden or Kalt kills Horion?

5. Why isn’t a future form of government one of the options to reply to Hiron’s questions regarding the MC’s leadership of the band and ultimate goals? For instance I wanted to tell him that my leadership is representative of the military of a new republic.

1 Like

Well if it did you would need to at least have intelligence 2.

It breaks the flow of the story; and ultimately I don’t think it should be possible to have it all, even if you pay for it.

Probably something I’ll do in Game 2, when your religion can be something that the public at large is exposed to.

Cool.

Goddammit new forums and their 20 letter requirement!

First, happy new year everyone!

Second finally an update to XOR, yay ! (alternatively I’m dreaming in that case someone please pinch me)

Well the way I see it the compressed air rifles the Hegemony possesses are more likely to be reverse-engineered Halassur designs. It’s most valuable military use would probably be as a “theurge killer” in catching Karagond theurges unawares. Since theurges cannot sustain their invulnerability spell indefinitely and maybe not even in conjunction with other more offensively useful spells, it provides an opening for snipers equipped with these.
Agreed on not letting them slip out of their military r&d centers in Karagon itself though and it might very well be possible they do not even allow the most elite of their units to use these weapons as it goes directly against their theurge centric doctrine. On the other hand the relatively large scale use of these by Halassur does likely imply they use their mages in a more support oriented fashion

Also I fail to see how they’re steampunk Austia-Hungary did develop and use them (albeit in a limited fashion, they had their niche and they were quite useful, and in some ways even superior to the other guns of their time, but in the end it was judged as not being worth the cost) in actual history. It’s just that the technology behind it required the absolute pinnacle of metallurgy available at the time to work semi-reliably and firearms technology was less costly more readily available and cheaper thus eventually leading Austria Hungary to cease further R&D of these weapons.

These considerations are essentially reversed for in-game Halassur seeing how theurgy renders use of gunpowder in warfare a liability and makes these the most logical option for any nation wanting to retain many of the advantages the gun offers in warfare compared to the preceding technologies, meaning Halassur may well throw most of it’s military R&D into this.

1 Like