Children of the Gods (Important poll #12306)

Well, it at least is two souls, as I don’t think that we can access the memories of the Bestower, and I also don’t think that it just “inhabites” a new soul every circle…

I just wonder, considering that the Essence actually seems not to be supposed to be wielded by a person, if true freedom for MC wouldn’t consist in setting the Essence free, separating the mammoth part of it from their own soul and by that not just breaking the circle but also every dumb prophecy ever made about it… @Ventura that was by the way what I meant with my comment at Ranchojoe, I was not talking about immortality, but -like I explicitely wrote- about the Essence.

Also because when power really corrupts you, just think about it what it means for a more human mind to be overflown by practically the strongest power of the universe. The gods despite their pretty humanlike antics are still pretty different from mortals and they only got a glimpse of the Essence, so what does that mean for someone wielding nearly all of that power? Will they become more and more separated from humanity…will MC do a Doctor Manhattan?

Of course it could be that this setting free is indeed the thing that ends the world. Or it could save it, maybe? I mean with that much energy bound to one (two) beings, energy that actually should be a source for the universe, it lets me wonder what the hell Cronus broke by putting the Essence in two bodies. The question is would that kill MC?

1 Like

1 Like

But congratulations! You made it. :expressionless: I quit. Discuss without me. Sammysam out (I’m kidding I just have to sleep sometimes. Here, have a cookie :cookie:)

1 Like

Yay! I love cookies!:cookie::yum:

1 Like

The Essence is exclusively for the divine. It was not the Essence that created mortals; that’s another story. The Essence is simply the power that created the Universe.

The Essence also created the primordial deities, who created the Titans, passing down a fraction of the Essence. The Titans created the Olympians, repeating the process, and then they turned the Essence into two souls. The Olympians are the last beings in the Universe to have the Essence inside them; since the Essence is now in the form of a soul, it can no longer be handed down to the Gods offspring. Everyone else just has regular old souls.

The Essence was turned into two souls; having all the powers of the original Essence, except now it needs to have a vessel to survive, just like any other soul. When the Essence outlives its host, it is sent into a state of hibernation until both souls take form in new vessels; no one knows where this occurs (except me). Think of it as a sort of “limbo.”

.The Essence was the soul, and the soul goes into a state of hibernation, so no. Only the body would remain, and bodies don’t roam the Underworld; only souls do.

Depends on what kind of person the Bearer is. There are a lot of ways the Essence can corrupt the mind. (see: flashbacks)

It slowly, and painfully, takes its toll. Which is why the bodies holding the Essence never live long.

Cronus knew this; even he knows power like that cannot exists for too long. Sadly for him, he didn’t predict that anyone would actually find the bodies, let alone that he wouldn’t be around to use them as his own personal weapons.

All of your questions will be answered**; I know it’s confusing.

14 Likes

That’s sort of sad. All those people born with the essence as their soul, doomed to cease to exist entirely when they die. It’s not like they’re being reborn every time they die, because not every incarnation of the essence has the same mind, memories, and feelings the previous incarnation had.

They may be able to relive the memories of their past lives, but that doesn’t make them “their” memories. That’s like me going to Disney World and video recording everything I do, then you watching the video. You weren’t the one who made the memories, so it wouldn’t be the same.

This means that all those people all had something unique to them. Those born with the essence were all unique Individuals who shared a soul, and when they died, they just…

…disappeared.

They never got to see their family or friends again in the afterlife. Never got to see their significant others when they died. Cursed to just be…

…gone.

11 Likes

You just made my mind about annihilating the gods. Good job.

2 Likes

In my opinion the people who loved the Bestower and Bearer are even worse off, especially if they don’t know anything about the Essence. Imagine arriving in the Underworld expecting to see the person you fell in love with and who died so young but never being able to find them, or if you’re just waiting for your son or daughter but not knowing that they will never arrive

4 Likes

Yeah, but the people who loved them know only the pain of losing them twice (them dying and not meeting again in the underworld), but the Bearer and Bestower have the potential to remeber all the people they loved and lost during their last lifes. That is cruel. Or even crueler when they may remember the love and loss but feel disconnected to who they used to be. Try to sort out such feeling…

So Iguess that means getting rid of the Essence and saying “I’m outta here! Do that drama alone while I live my humble life” will not be possible as it effectively would only leave behind the empty vessel.

…Yeah that means plan B: Destroying everything to recreate it again!
We did make the universe once, so we should be able to do it again, or not? …or not?

Okay…I will wait. -Intense waiting follows-

6 Likes

That sort of fate is bittersweet, and extremely sad.

In all honesty, I’d rather the current Essence-users become immortal rather than go through another cycle, if only to be able to remain with their RO and friends. I’ve never been a kill’em’all sort, and that sort of ending sounds exactly like what Cronus wants. Besides, destroying EVERYTHING means there’s nothing someone can go back to, and there’s no guarantee that -everything- doesn’t include the souls of those close to us.

Besides, they may bicker and fight and have different views on how to best help the wielders of the Essence, but at least Hades and Athena are family.

If this is the so-called ‘apocalypse’ for the greco-roman mythology, it makes me curious what the other mythologies are like with regards to it. Is Ragnarok simply the prophecy of the Essence finally losing control, or is it a separate matter entirely? And the book of Revelations, does it merely describe what happens in the events leading up to the Essence destroying everything, or is it a divine work of a different kind?

And with regards to the nature of souls and the imprints on past lives, I know you’re busy and may not have time to get through it, but I might recommend you check out (Or watch a Let’s Play) Pillars of Eternity, @Rohie, if you haven’t already. I think you might find it enlightening.

5 Likes

With Rohie’s long post about the Essence being split into two and the whole shebang, it’s starting to look like KH complicated (and hopefully not as frustrating/tragic as Xion’s fate).

If the choices are as grim as I think they are, is there an option to become a reality warper and create a separate universe where everything is stable and fine? Not necessarily destroy but very literally NOPES OUT OF HERE

2 Likes

That’s why recreating the universe anew is part of the plan :grinning:

And if that doesn’t work we always can play “I spy with my little eye…” with Aeson while sitting in the void (in case he wouldn’t try to strangle us after we destroyed the old universe. “Ts! Please, calm down it’s not as if they didn’t had it coming”)

@squarelyblue You get what I’m saying! Yesh, let’s create a new universe!

On a more serious note I doubt that Cronus wants MC to destroy the whole universe, especially should he be able to get MC on his side. I’m pretty sure he wishes destruction specifically over his offsprings and “grandchildren”. Can’t rule over nothing after all.

2 Likes

Entirely possible. I mean //looks at DC (there’s New Earth, Earth-One, Earth-Two…Earth-Fifty-One)

Also on a serious note: now we know how angsty/drama-ridden an Aeson romance will likely be :)) [prepares my Aeson file MC for heart ache]

2 Likes

…looks at marvel (earth-0; -000, -616, etc until earth-931113)

And I know! At the latest now I’m absolutely sure that my main MC will romance him!

He was with the Bearer since the beginning, he can go down with us…He will manage…somehow :smirk: After all we already know he seems to be the type that just can’t shut up about about the whole essence business.

I think him facing the full effects and drama of being the Essences is just fair.

1 Like

Is it too much that I want the happily ever after :)) (as much as I enjoy bittersweet and tragic)

Well, at least happily ever after…AFTER BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS

I’m still deciding on whether or not my main MC will go after Aeson. She’s pretty smitten over Adonis at the moment, so we’ll see how Aeson manages to make an impression.

Though if I’m being honest, I’d like the RO’s to be express some sort of concern(?) or jealousy(?) over Aeson and MC’s bond. And I want the MC to aggressively reassure their significant other that, “no, I chose you” kind of thing

Or alternatively, an Aeson-manced MC telling Aeson that they love him because it’s a choice and not because of the universe/destiny related reasons

10 Likes

I absolutely love your story. Just a small typo I’ve noticed in the scene where you’re deciding to choose who to sit with at lunch. Know is being spelt as nkow

Randomly (because I just realized you had a stat bar for how citizens view you): can you imagine all the fanfics that could possibly crop up if MC becomes popular enough? And people actually debating on possible ships for the MC?

(Lel, this is like leaning on the 4th wall already)

Horribly funny if the gods find said fanfics though, like Athena reading one about her and Ares (HA)

4 Likes

Oh god, MC could never again just google themself for fun, not because they might find something embarassing, but becaus they certainly would stumble over some terrifying fanfics…that by the way have them totally ooc.

And crackships…Athena/Hares would still be harmless…the internet is a very dark place.

2 Likes

They wouldn’t have to google. Can totes see Saint and co - especially Calypso, assuming she’s not the RO - going up to MC and basically reading out loud the equivalent of “My Immortal” to them. Or 50 Shades.

Either way, MC will never live it down/escape the clutches of the internet :))

3 Likes

Well and then one of the crackships is Saint/MC (whatever the reasons will be that it’s no possible RO, though lets be honest most of us have their bets on: Because incest…but that never stopped shippers :expressionless:) and nobody ever will Saint let live down his reaction of absolute horror following that…he shut down his computer and never turned it on again. What just multiplied the information mass he received through others…