Captive of Fortune - Volume Two of Demons Among Men

Definitely interested to see the changes since the last time I tried the test version.

:slight_smile:

I haven’t finished either of them; that’s just the estimate I have based off of their outlines. I do have 25k words written for Transitions of Power, though. However, I won’t get back to that until I finish Kepler, which, like I said earlier, won’t be until sometime this Summer.

@Shoelip
That was around 6 months ago, I think, so there have been a lot of changes. Whole new scenes have been added and the entire story has been tidied up and been made to flow better.

Hey Sam, I thought originally you had 6 or 7 volumes in the series. Did you decide to condense all the content into four and just make the last two a lot bigger?

I think that’s just the ones he has planned out… though I suppose I could be wrong.

A few months ago, I had the outline something like this:

Trial of the Demon Hunter - 85K
Captive of Fortune - 115k
Foundations of Nightmares - 85k
Transitions of Power - 85k
Cacophony of Misery - 100k
Silence of the Wicked - 200k

And now I’m condensing volumes 3-5 into one volume, and making the last volume even longer. So now it’s:

Trial of the Demon Hunter - 85K
Captive of Fortune - 115k
Transitions of Power - 275k
Silence of the Wicked - 300k

Woo! Captive of Fortune is now pending review by CoG. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congrats! Looking forward to it! :grinning:

1 Like

Good job, Sam. Hopefully CoF will be available by time I submit CCH so I can go back and leisurely reread TotDH and then tackle CoF. I want to devote my spring to reading all the wonderful stuff people have published!

1 Like

Awesome :slight_smile: thanks! I’m betting on March as the release date. And TotDH has gone through about 50 updates so it might need more than a leisurely re-read. :wink:

EDIT
Okay, so CoF is in review by CoG and further steps have been taken to get it closer to being published, but there’s a big delay - similar to the one with TotDH about a year ago - because they’ve gotta work on hiding and revealing the music controls depending on whether or not you purchase the IAP. (You can choose to buy the music, illustrations and story for $3, or just the story for $2.)

Ooo…CoF is now “pending code development” which means the music IAP is almost underway! One step closer to publication. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

First I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the Trial of the Demon Hunter already completing it a couple of time :slight_smile: and I wanted to ask how does it go with CAPTIVE OF FORTUNE - VOLUME TWO OF DEMONS AMONG MEN have it ben accepted by CoG yet ?
Sorry I if it sound impatient that is not intented :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad you enjoyed it. :slight_smile: Choice of Games has accepted CoF, and currently they’re doing a “device beta” which is basically where they try to perfect the in app purchase that we have going for the music and illustrations. After that, it should be submitted to Apple. I estimate that it will be published this month, or in August at the very latest.

In app purchase for illustrations and music? Are these extra illustrations or the ones that were in the beta version? Also, are they both one purchase or are they two separate ones? Also also, can you turn them off once you’ve bought them?

Yeah! It should just include the ones in the beta testing. The cover art (my profile picture), the two bandit groups, Falcon the bandit, Callidus the necromancer, Mendax the demon, Belluo the ogre, and Imbecile/Prince Charming the troll.

I’m fairly sure it’s just one in app purchase for $1 where you get both the music and illustrations, though I’d prefer if there were two in app purchases for $0.50 each. I’m not sure if you can turn the illustrations off, though @jasonstevanhill and or @dfabulich would be able to answer that question for you.

I actually wanted to know if you can turn the music off, the illustrations are one of the things that sets your game apart in a totally positive. In general I’m quite strongly against this kind of thing where you buy part of the game and then buy another part that was removed specifically for the purposes of selling it later… but I suppose at these prices it’s not really an issue.

Well, the music has a control thingy so you don’t even have to turn it on if you don’t want to. And I think that extras like music and illustrations are different than, say, making the first tenth of the game free and then the rest available for purchase.

A lot of people don’t care about the extra stuff and it’s not entirely necessary for anyone to have, really, so I just think it’s good for people to be able to choose between buying the gamebook for $2 or the gamebook, music, and illustrations for $3. I think people who don’t care about the extras would be disappointed if they HAD to buy the whole thing for $3 instead of $2.

If you’d just included everything in a single purchase I don’t think many people would have noticed that it cost more than it would have if you hadn’t, because you didn’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

Still, your perspective seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Although CoF is considerably lager than TotDH, it is still on the shorter side, at about 115k words total. So, I think that it might get some bad reviews if it was priced at $3 upfront, at least from the people who didn’t care about the extra stuff. Maybe we’ll just see how it goes.

I hope this works out for you. Unnatural stills gets bad reviews even when it says in the app description that the first two chapters are free and you pay for the rest. I think some people just like to complain.

1 Like

“I refused to read the description of this product and now I have discovered that it does not match my arbitrary, unbased notions about what it is. This makes it terrible!”

12 Likes