Can't use ChoiceScript (Done)

so I go to the file and then to web/index.html and when I click it, it says
"
Couldn’t load scenes/startup.txt
This file improbably missing or empty
"
what do I do?

right now I’m using Basic ChoiceScript Editor until I can make than work

Is the scenes folder in the same one in which the index.html is? Is the startup.txt in the scenes folder?

I go to the web folder, then the mygames folder, and in that is the scenes folder

Hm have you checked if startup.txt is written correct, the rest seems to be right the way it should be. Perhaps you named it .txt when it already was? otherwise I can’t see anything wrong from that atm. I’ll take a closer look at my WIP after I took my kid to the doctor

In your startup file (which should be named “startup”), you need to have the following code in order for it to work.

*scene_list
  startup

After that, you can start actually building your game, but you have to have the scene list before anything else

This is what my startup file looks like

*title Return to Zemia
*author Sviyagin
*scene_list
  startup
  chapter1
  chapter2
  ending

You just keep building onto it as you add more scenes, and sometimes your scenes won’t be in the list at all if your game isn’t linear, but you have to at least do the startup

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

Stats are gonna be pretty important in my game, is there a tutorial I could look at for that, and the other stuff ig lol. Thanks for the help.

There are lots of tutorials. COG has their own stat tutorial here, and you can also check out the wiki. When you get stuck, the first thing you should do is use the search feature here on the forum to see if your question has already been answered somewhere else, but if you can’t find what you’re looking for, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Everyone here is really eager to help. There are also other tutorials you can find if you search “tutorial” on the forum

1 Like

I used this one, which also provides other types of commands and how to use them if it helps? It also provides examples and such, so it’s easier to follow along and then attempt to develop your own style of stats.

Good luck! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for all your help!

If you need more help/can’t seem to make things work, feel free to PM me. I don’t mind

1 Like