"Brimstone Manor" did really well!

I beta tested for the game. What made the game stand out to me than other Heart’s Choice games were it’s low fantasy aspect, the critical balance the book maintained between plot, story and the romances aspects and the ease with which the reader could understand the plot and the flow which is missing most of the time from high-fantasy games.
Also, this is one of the HC books where you can have a M-F romance, and to me that’s another good strike.
Echoing what NEspay said, the supernatural is a major key to the book’s success I believe for this genre is quite popular among the readers. Also, the book has good replayability value, an amiable ambience lacking negative undertones and the focus on the story was chef’s kiss. It was dab on, not distracting from the romance but in a way accentuating it more and allowed the readers to experience better flow and immersion.

Arguably one of the best books I’ve beta tested for. Enough for me to be bold enough to say it’s a mini-Wayhaven-esque successor.

10 Likes

Edit: Corrected one of the points about the game.

I play as a male character who’s attracted to female ROs; that automatically means I am not the target demographic for Heart’s Choice games.

I’ve only purchased one HC game before this, which was Never Date Werewolves, and that was because the premise was interesting enough that it overcame my aversion to games with a gender-locked MC.

For Brimstone Manor, I bought it for two reasons:

1. The story had a gender-variable MC and let me play as male.

2. One of the ROs was gender-variable, so I could romance her as a straight man.

The game allowed my character to reflect the gender and sexual orientation I identity with, so I bought it.

HC games usually don’t do that, so i don’t play them. (Again, I want to point out that’s largely because I’m not the target demographic of the Heart’s Choice brand).

15 Likes

I haven’t played a HC before, and I think mainly that’s because aside from me generally missing the emails about releases, getting to play as a man who could romance men was a big part of my interest.
I typically play as a character that I’ve made up, (because I’m not adventurous enough as a person to choose the interesting choices if I’m playing as myself, but if I’m playing as someone else… I’m not limited by what I personally would do. I don’t know if that’s odd or not haha)
But the character I play as is a man interested in men, and most of the HC emails I have gotten are for games that don’t fit the criteria, and I’m not really interested in mc’s that aren’t gender variable.
The supernatural aspect of it was nice, but definitely not a deciding factor, as I enjoy a lot of genres. Valentine’s Day doesn’t really make a difference to me either haha

18 Likes

I like it the most mainly because of its gothic vibe and mysticism and the paranormal. When I find out about the demon and the hellhound and its esotheric theme I couldn’t wait to play it.
I like how the demon is humane because in most stories they are normally the ‘bad guy’.

2 Likes

Came for the romance, stayed for kid and the dog lmao.
Like seriously, this was a really high quality game and it got me really invested in Nicci and the role of nanny. Im not even mad, i loved loved loved Darien’s kid. I kind of entertained the thought of romancing Michael and i even wanted to expose the secrets of the manor and supernaturals… but i couldnt bring myself to do it :weary::sweat_smile::heart:

3 Likes

I’m not out to be mean, but personally for me, I purchased Brimstone Manor where I never touched the other two because I don’t like playing female characters - especially in romances. So that was an instant pass for me.

Just want to be clear I am not saying that women or people preferring to play female characters don’t deserve to have games that cater to them. I am completely fine with the idea that not all games were made for me lol. My favorite heart’s choice game so far has been all world pro wrestling so I’m definitely not wanting to try to make choice of games re-evaluate the types of stories they allow through their selection process. Just commenting on why I personally bought one and not the other two.

As for the other questions:

Paranormal/romance genre? This was a wash for me. I have passed on some that I didn’t like the writing or the descriptions of the romance options in the past. But its not a negative either, it was interesting enough to spark my interest.

Nanny? For the “point of purchase” decision I think this was a wash for me. Again not a negative, but not exactly “I must play this game” either. However, after getting into the story and being able to roleplay the character, I really enjoyed this aspect.

Gender-variable MC? previously answered.

Valentine’s Day? I think I did purchase this around that time, but I don’t think it mattered. I purchase these types of games literally year round.

No recent HC game? IDK. Part of me thinks this would have hurt the sales since it was getting to the point that I stopped bothering checking the website. It just so happens that I decided to check to see if anything new was there when it came out, but going off when I tended to check, i could have been late by a month and a half or so.

Something else entirely? I don’t want to make it sound like I purchase all the CoGs that have a male MC and male ROs. The attractiveness and personalities of the ROs was a big factor in the decision point to purchase. Some of the games I don’t purchase is because the RO isn’t really my type or comes across as really poorly during the opening and I just can’t bring myself to see if the character grows. So specifically I really liked Darien and when I replay it eventually I think I would enjoy playing through romancing the Chris and Michael as well.

Oh and this is an incredibly dumb reason to like the game and buy it, but it was also partially because of the dog. IDK if it was the writing or the fact that you can win him over or what, but I really wanted to roleplay with the dog.

As for cons that made me consider not buying the game (not asked but I imagine it may be helpful): This game tended to have the problems a lot of GV games have where it feels like it was written for one gender, and then just programed to gender flip as needed. It wasn’t as bad as other games can be, and ultimately, it didn’t keep me from purchasing where other games have; but I do think that there was some room for improvement in that department. Especially regarding the romance path with Darien and the dinner. Like I feel like the dialogue didn’t acknowledge Darien’s bisexuality (or even homosexuality would have been even more interesting). And a lot of the options of things to do felt very “female-typical” if that makes sense. I think at that point, I had already purchased the game and I was enjoying it enough, but I remember picking up on it earlier before buying and it was something I considered.

8 Likes

Yeap man!!! no one judging you , I can feel you!!11 :expressionless: :face_exhaling:

2 Likes

There are 2 things that I wanted to emphasize after playing this IF first is, it’s very eye catching–how can I say? Because I definitely bought it after it’s released without rereading the title or the synopsis, I just played it straight away–(that’s also only after I knew that Heart’s Choice does freakin’ exist!) , I really loved the idea that there’s a kid involve in this (because I definitely love kids, and having a chance to actually play a game that gives me cute interactions with kids is happiness!) so it’s directly a plus for me, the supernatural/paranormal genre has me all excited, tho honestly just like the MC, I am so done with Angel vs. Demon cliché but this will be an exemption since the game had laid the conflict off perfectly and splendidly,ofc I also just wanted to add that I am very much amused with the RO’s bickering with each other (I almost wanted to ship them and just stick with Gabby instead-lol) second thing to emphasize is that it is not gender-locked, unlike the other IFs I played in HC (but no offense I loved all HC games really) I seriously wanted to play an IF that has male RO’s after reading lots of female-locked ones and gladly, Brimstone Manor serves.

But personal opinions aside, it’s by far a very good IF–with hot male RO’s and a kid who needs a lot of care (and whom I’ve come to love) plus the dog–(who’s also very charming tbh I almost thought that the dog would also transform into human form and was one of the possible RO’s–hah silly me) And if you ever would want to give this IF a chance, here’s a small tip Take very good care of Nicki, you’re supposed to be a nanny after all

2 Likes

Gender choice was big for me personally. I also love the angel and demons theme, as well as the kid.

1 Like

Bought Brimstone Manor, did not buy the other two.

Didn’t get Belle de Nuit because the premise didn’t interest me.

Didn’t get If it Please the Court as I’m a wlm player. The premise sounds interesting, but well it’s wlw.

Why Brimstone Manor?

• First and foremost, it’s wlm.
  • I’m a sucker for kids.
  • While the paranormal angle wasn’t a factor (I’d have bought it even if it was 2 CEOs fighting or whatever), it definitely helped capture my interest.
1 Like

For me, I’m bi. And might I say…I LOVED both Belle-De-Nuit & If It Please the Court.

However, I also LOVED Brimstone Manor.

I’m happy that Heart’s Choice has the ability to embrace all pairings…whether WLM, MLW, WLW OR MLM. I’d also like to see some NB pairings in there, as well. I’d play 'em. :smirk:

I think people generally don’t like gender-locked stories, as they feel it excludes them, thus they won’t gravitate towards it.

I hope they won’t stop doing those stories, though. Lord knows there aren’t enough WLW or MLM books out there… :pensive:

Just my 3 cents. :blush:

3 Likes

To put it as straightforwardly as my brain can manage, it was the option to choose your gender, as well as the male ROs.

Most of the hearts choice games being gender locked towards female already loses them a large portion of the male audience, aswell as the trans and nb audiences. Looking at the current release estimations this issue still persists (though it is getting better with the inclusion of 2 m/m stories, and 2 that allow you to change your gender.) most of the upcoming releases are still genderlocked F and many are F/F or F/M exclusively, which will lock them into a single audience of mostly cis lesbians or straight cis women.

Compared to titles on HG or COG, such as the wayhaven series (which i feel is safe to assume as one of the best selling out of all of them, period) or the heroes rise series, with a focus on romance, none of them restrict your gender, and many let you choose the gender of your ROs or give you multiple RO options of different genders.

Knowing the sales rates of say, Jazz age, Dawnfall, & AWPW in comparison to A players heart, NDWWs, & Belle-de-Nuit would probably give more insight into why it sold well though.

All i know for sure is, as a gay man, i saw that i could be male, and that the ROs were male, and it immediately went up significantly higher on my radar than most of the previous hearts choice titles.

5 Likes

Agreed, there are some games out or incoming that could have worked well with wider gender options or romance options. M/M stuff is incoming of course but I still honestly think we should be getting more options for M/F or V/F content where possible - it honestly just requires a story setting that appeals to a more male or male leaning audience such as science fiction or superhero but with a core focus on romance stuff.

Yes i am sure that It’s mostly because it wasn’t gender locked. As a man I am not interested in games that don’t have option to be a man, also I was well written. Have a great day. :slight_smile:

I’ve stated before that there are games under the hearts games label that I would have played if they allowed the player to be gv and play as male or non-binary.

Also one thing I noticed is that games that are listed as either female or non binary for mc gender options exclude male, but then end up treating nb as female lite options, it’s a bit ick

6 Likes

I sometimes think it’s worth having more games on HC with a focus on a specific romance gender over a specific PC gender. That way we get games with several quality romances of a specific gender, maintaining enough elements of that gender and the variation of said gender, whilst the players can be anyone they choose to be. Unless a game is going to specifically describe the types of sex or at least heavy romance between two people of a specific gender, I don’t always see the point of games on HC being so specific.

3 Likes

I’m really enjoying Brimstone Manor. I think I tried to pick up Belle-de-nuit, but - and this is such a strange thing to nitpick when it comes to suspension of disbelief - I can only read books about sex workers if I know they’re set in a time after condoms became commonplace so that I don’t have to worry about all those French nobles giving my besties syphilis, and, ideally, set in a society where they will have got into the trade simply because they want to, and not because the government did not offer enough of a social security net, and I could not be sure of these two factors. I’m sure I’m in the minority here among the CoG/HC/HG readers here, though.

As for If It Please the Court, hell yes I’ve read it! 10/10 would recommend. I’m guessing the only reason it might not be super popular is because the ROs are all female?

Lastly, Brimstone Manor is just… Fun!

It has a dog! And a mostly tolerable kid! Plus the whole Jane Eyre stuck in a gothic Victorian mansion vibe. It comes the closest to some of my favourite CoG books (Weyrwood and Heart of the House).

1 Like

i loved Brimstone Manor! i got with Darien and fell head over heels for nicki! i almost fell for micheal but, i loved darien too much! if anyone wants to say who they got with id love to chat!

1 Like

I loved Brimstone Manor too. I played eight times and ended up with everyone at least once, but Darien is my favorite!

Did you know the author has a second game coming out later this year?

I really loved brimstone, what is the name of the second game that is coming out ?