Blood and Runes (WIP) -- Updated January 10th

Just dropping in to say that I’ve enjoyed this so far - I’ve always enjoyed games that drop you in with an established best friend and a lot of angst, so I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this one as it develops :slight_smile:

I did get the below error though, whilst at the temple.

chapter2 line 3761: Invalid expression at char 17, expected OPERATOR, was: VAR [false]
1 Like

The answer, without spoiling anything, is sort of… both? Different members of the rebel faction have different views on their goals ofthe rebellion, though the overarching viewpoint is that the monarchy needs to go.

Thank you, my friend! I’m glad you liked the game :smile:. I see you’re new to the forum, so I want to offer you a warm welcome :partying_face:

Thanks for pointing out the bug! I’ve fixed it now. There’s a lot of angst in store in this game. I can confidently say that things get worse before they get better. But hey, there’ll be some fluff sprinkled in there, too XD. Hopefully Aariz continues to entertain you, because he really does have some fun moments.

8 Likes

Hi everyone! I haven’t had much time to write recently due to real life, unfortunately, but I hope to recitify that soon. For the time being, here’s a worldbuilding post that offers insight into the gods of the Pantheon, their favored champion, and the historical event known as Blood Summer.

Worldbuilding

The Pantheon

The Pantheon consists of eight gods, the holy number of Reian. These gods are:

• Azral, god of justice, death, and power. King of the gods.
  • Ulla, his wife. Goddess of life, forgiveness, and mercy. Queen of the gods.
  • Kove, their firstborn, god of warfare and ambition
  • Kotia, their secondborn, goddess of the harvest and luck
  • Hayla, their thirdborn goddess of travel and wealth
  • Isona their fourthborn, goddess of balance, harmony and the moon
  • Yel, their fifthborn, god of the sun, passion and bravery
  • Firrol, their sixthborn, god of magic and vengeance

The Champion

The gods, it is said, love all of their children, from the wealthiest king to the poorest beggar. But there is one they smiled upon most of all, a human so blessed, he won their hearts completely. The man’s name was Ysrian Amars, a young warlord of Clan Amars. Ysrian was charming, clever, and comely. Kind but not weak, brave but not foolish, and confident but not arrogant. He gained the attention of the gods in his boyhood. Fascinated by him, they could not help but adore their most favored child.

Though they had never meddled in mortal affairs before, content with their seat in the heavens, they revealed themselves to Ysrian and each granted him a blessing. With these blessings, Ysrian carved a kingdom for himself which he would dub Reian. And, grateful for their gifts, he spread the word of the Pantheon across the continent.

Revered as both a political figure and religious leader, Ysrian remains a legend nearly five centuries later. He is so adored that many nobles – and even a few daring commoners – will give their children the suffix ‘ys’ in an attempt to curry favor with the gods.

Dates

Reian’s dating system goes by BEP (Before the Establishment of the Pantheon) and AEP (After the Establishment of the Pantheon). As of the current timeline in Blood and Runes, the year is 473 AEP. Each year is tracked by the summer and winter solstice, which totals to a year in real life, but the calendar of Reian consists of only eight months total, as eight is the kingdom’s holy number.

These are the birth dates of several important characters:

The MC – 450 AEP

Aariz – 452 AEP

Dalia – 448 AEP

Adys – 451 AEP

Ralys – 453 AEP

Zara – 452 AEP

Idar – 442 AEP

Tamys – 438 AEP

Blood Summer

One of the most notorius events in Reian’s history occured one hundred and twenty-seven years ago, in 346 AEP. Reian has been suffering through a terrible famine. It was customary for the King’s Order to merely snatch up children and take them to the Sanctuary, where they were to be raised as future mages. The success rate for the trials, especially for those with no heritage of mages before them, was (and remains)… low.

One night, after a particularly ruthless round-up of their youth, the people, starving and furious, took to the streets. They marched upon the Sanctuary like a mob, and the king at the time, Remys VI, was unable, and unwilling, to stop them. All across the region, peasants amassed to save their children. They climbed up the plateau of the Sanctuary, screaming bloody vengeance. Sure the gods were smiling upon them, they continue to advance, not heeding the Order’s warnings.

And the mages slaughtered them.

They might have had the strength in numbers, but the King’s Order had magic. It was a massacre of the likes of which Reian had never seen before and has never seen since. It is said that thousands upon thousands of corpses lined the plateau and the ground beneath, and that the air smelled of rotting flesh for days and even weeks after.

The entire encounter less than a week, but it became known Blood Summer for the sheer death toll, as well as the fallout. In a swift movement, the King’s Order broke the backs of the peasantry and solidified their hatred. But no matter how much they are despised, no one has dared to raise a hand to them since.

24 Likes

Progress Report 9/4/22

I’ve actually had a little time to sit down and write, which is something I’ve been lacking recently. I’m continuing to work on chapter 3, and though writer’s block has been hounding me, I think I’m finally starting to work through it. I like how chapter 3 is looking so far, and I hope to continue to make progress.

I’m also popping in to say that, after a good deal of consideration and having debated myself for weeks about it, I’m going to be adding another RO to Blood and Runes. This will be the last romance option added to the game, as I don’t want the cast to get too bloated.

Here are some facts about her:

• She has deep red hair and light green eyes
  • She’s quite sickly
  • She’s married to a very, very powerful man, and is mother to one of his children
  • She is dearly beloved by the common folk
  • She can be romanced by both a male and female MC
  • She’s the oldest RO in the game
  • She is highborn
  • To court her is to court death

I’d rather not reveal too much more about her yet. I haven’t spoken much about her – I haven’t even mentioned her name – but I’ve mentioned her in passing on my tumblr blog. Who knows? Maybe I’ll make guessing who she is into a game.

43 Likes

So she’s wholesome and a MILF?!

On My Way GIFs | Tenor

15 Likes

tenor

9 Likes

My gods, most of her descriptions above screams red flag all around.

Does that mean you’ll eventually get a doomed romance or ending later or something?.

4 Likes

Sorry about the confusion. Yes, you can successfully romance the new RO. Her route is not a doomed one. That being said, pursuing her is, from an in-universe perspective, colossally stupid. Which is why there are some ominous little facts about her, like the courting death one.

22 Likes

16 Likes

definitely the favorite type of Ro people like, wich is my type, Just say we haver an ending with her and dont break our frail hearts, please

3 Likes

thumbs-thumbs-up-kid

2 Likes

10 Likes

Just wanted to say that until at least this time next month, I’m not going to be super active here. Nor am I going to be writing much, if anything at all. College application season is kicking off and early action, which is what I’m aiming for with all the schools I’m applying to, ends in early to mid November. I’ve really got to work hard on getting that done before I can focus on Blood and Runes. It’s unfortunate, but it is what it is. Just letting y’all know so you don’t think the game is abandoned lmao.

25 Likes

Best of luck on your applications!

5 Likes

Progress Update 10/12/22

How’s it going guys? College applications aren’t going great, but I think I’m finally starting to find my footing, so that’s good. I’m starting to clean up the game’s code from back when I was still pretty new to choicescript so that it’s just better and not hell to code dive. Been doing that between research and college applications. I unfortunately haven’t been able to write; my first deadline in November 1st so I’m really putting the pedal to the metal rn. Hopefully by the time those pass I’ll have everything done and I can turn back to balancing regular school and writing :crossed_fingers:t5:

37 Likes

On the one hand, I’ve seen way too many fantasy games now, and they’re all starting to blur in my brain; on the other hand, I love when things collapse into chaos, and it helps that I like the writing for this one, so I think I’m going to have to add it to my list now

2 Likes

I like the Thread Name Supper Blood and Runs :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I absolutely love the demo.And u can add a update log if you want for the guys who wants to see what got added with every update.

2 Likes

Progress Update 10/31/22

As I’m writing this, I’m absolutely over the flipping moon. I’ve just submitted my last college application, y’all! And I couldn’t be more relieved about it. By this time January, I’ll have a pretty clear future about my life for the next four years :partying_face:

While I still have my regular school assignments to take care of, this frees up a good chunk of my time. This weekend I’m going to get back to working on Blood and Runes, and finally enjoy being able to write without the impending doom of college applications hanging over my head.

Thank you guys so much for sticking with me up to this point. I look forward to being able to share more of my game with you!

46 Likes

I’m over the flipping moon y’all! I just got my first acceptance letter for one of the colleges I applied to! I’ve been insanely busy my senior year, but now I finally feel like a huge weight is being taken off my chest! :partying_face::tada:

I was just so overjoyed that I needed to put it out there!

I’m continuing to work on my writing. I’ve been working on Blood and Runes, and I also have another side project I’ve been working on from time to time that I’ll share later, though BaR is still my priority and when I spend more focus on it.

ANYWAYS, I’m just gonna scream into my pillow for the next twenty-four hours.

38 Likes