Blackraven: The Key To Freedom

@andymwhy the same error happened again when I tried to charm the man with “large ears and muscular, broad shoulders”. As soon as I pick out my target, the error pops up, and the game stops (again). It happens after I click “Go charming with Connor” but before I actually try to steal from them

@FortunesFaded what did the error look like? Maybe that could help him find it and fix it for you.

As I said before, it looked like a bunch of coding in a dropbox popup. However, it did not allow me to copy it.

@FortunesFaded Okay, I’ll look again in more detail. That section is a little complicated with several sub-routines in action so it’s a case of going through them and finding the error (a certain set of if-thens…)
Something worth doing, just to be sure, is to clear your cache. That could help as well (I’ve made a few changes that might have solved the problem).

@MusicLover That’s a lot of questions! First, yes please! Any errors you find and tell me about will help a lot! One sentence of text and the rough time of day (in the yard, at work, etc.) will be enough for me to find the error.
Next, Violet… is… unstable. In the full game, there are ways to leave the Rockers, if you so choose, but in the demo, you’re stuck with her. Um… if you work in the kitchen, I’d advise against failing to make the alcohol properly…
Your physique is your choice at the start of the game. With regular (and I mean regular - no exercise and you’ll lose your shape) exercise you will become fit, regardless of whether you start thin or fat. Like real life, it’s a slow progression though, so don’t expect overnight success!
I’m liking your ideas for reputation - I was going for subtle changes but I can add more drastic ones as you’ve suggested :slight_smile:
You can complete the game quickly by just doing the missions, and regardless of your stats, there will be at least one successful path (in that respect, the game is more a journey than a challenge). However, with better stats, you will find the missions easier still - especially the final day…

There’s still a lot of work to be done and I can only write part time so it will be a few more months still before I finish the game. As this is my second game (see ‘The Race’ for my first) I will put a price on it. One or two dollars for the full game.

Don’t worry that’s all the questions and suggestions I have…for now at least. Let me get started checking for errors.

@FortunesFaded Did an option to email them about the error show up? If so then choose to that and copy and paste from there. There should only be about two lines that show as an error so you don’t need to post everything, just those lines.

I played as a man, and found this on the first day.

"There, you descend a large staircase, the same one you came up after the shower yesterday. You are indeed headed back to the shower room. "

Shouldn’t it be heading to the shower room, instead of headed.

Also, I call my Father Dad, but the note the guard gave me said:
“From your Pa.”
That is from the first meeting with your parents.

If I see any more, I’ll tell you.

@ItalionStailon To be fair, the guard probs doesn’t know or care what you call your father.

@ItalionStailon good spot on the first one. I’ll change that. For the second one, that was intentional, as @Bagelthief said :). Thanks for playing. I hope you’re enjoying it.

Does anyone have any feedback for me about the Puzzler, the Pontoon game, or the music (which style is better of the three tracks)?

Ooh! Ooh! Me!
Well, the Puzzler, after you’ve done a question, even if you get it wrong, the right answer’s still there. So’m, I can just restart and select all the correct answers I’ve already been told! Cheap! Cheap!
Don’t know how to play pontoon, so I avoided that, heheh.

I didn’t think of that! I could add an option to pay (perhaps a couple of cigarettes) for the correct answer or just leave. People could still save and go back and do it again, but that’s true of all choice games anyway.

Pontoon is the same as 21 or Blackjack. I guess I should add instructions though!

Yeah, good ideas!

How about the music? Which style is better? The pace of the first track? Too distracting? The subtleness of the second track? Too monotonous? The rhythm and power of the third track?

There’s something you might want to fix. I was working in the kitchen waiting for the hooch to finish, when I got accidentally pulled off of kitchen duty, Vincent still looked to me for finishing it.

@stsword Thanks, I’ll take a look at that. The change of jobs is set to monthly by default but I’ll make it so that can’t happen if you’re doing the alcohol mission.
How are you finding the game? Any suggestions for improvements?

@andymwhy I was playing pontoon the whole time. Ya know…just trying to the hang of it right? Well I noticed two things. One, you never seem to lose money/ciggarets even when you lose. You can only win them. I don’t know if that was intentional or not but I would change that. It’s no fun if you never feel like you could lose everything in that one game. The other thing I noticed was that it was only when we were playing for money that the rules for the game popped up. I don’t know if you randomize what they’re playing for, if they only play for cash on a certain day, or what buy you should look into that. I wasn’t paying any attention to what day it was when I noticed that but I’ll play through again and check.

@MusicLover The first part is definitely an error on my part - you should be charged every game. I’ll change that now.
The second part is an odd one - I added the rules yesterday. I’ll take another look and make sure they show every time. Thanks for your support!

Edit: I think I’ve fixed both of these now. The downside is I had to add two new variables, meaning all old saves will now cause errors - to keep playing you will need to start from the beginning again. Sorry for any inconvenience caused here.

@Andy I see… No recognition for talons help…*picks up hobo sack and sadly walks off into the sunset*

@Talon5505 ?? See my pm.