Average Words Written per Day

@Cataphrak

The thing about writers who write in short, intense bursts, that’s me. I can’t maintain a consistent daily word count as days I’m low on inspiration just get me a maybe a couple of paragraphs. Days I have inspiration tend to get me multiple entire scenes written.

Also I don’t edit as I go mainly cause I’d be stuck editing and never writing. I’m saving that annoying task for the end.

I write at least 1,000 words a day

I write at least 10,000 words a day, but that’s because I work on it full time.

I write as I can find time some days the numbers are high. other days are very low. But I do try to write every day.

Last two days have been good, not sure of the count as I write on paper, phone, and laptop all day. Just depends what’s handy. Did over 1100 lines of code.

I feel incredibly amateurish compared to all of you. I love starting new projects but find it hard to finish them. Because of that I have a lot of unfinished stories and it happens that I work on it days on end then not at all.

Also from some of your comments it looks like you first write somewhere else, then copy it into Notepad ++ (or whatever program you use) and edit it into code? I’m curious as to how that goes, since I write it all directly into choice-format. I don’t really see another option, since a lot of what you write depends on the choices you make, right? If you have another way of doing it, please enlighten me, since I’m still fairly new to this and I’m always learning (for some way that sounded sarcastic to me, which it isn’t. Sorry about that)

@Celtic_Rune
Each writer has there own style. I like to write it on paper then out line the choices I then program it into CS. But my games tend to be on the very complex and large side. Still have yet to finish a project, close two years at it. Plus programming for me is hard to grasp at times lol. But I keep at it and know one day they will be completed.

@Celtic_Rune

I always write directly into Notepad++, starting with the code and then filling in the text after that’s done. It’s more efficient than having to take the time to copy anything over and then figuring out how to separate it into code.

Then again, like @lordirishdas, my game tends to be incredibly code-heavy and complex. If you’ve a text-heavy game, I can see how it would make little difference where you write it, but adding code to something that’s already there seems like the harder way to go about it.

@lordirishdas
That might also be a factor, yes. I’ve finished one relatively short game, but that was for a school project so it had a deadline, which makes it easier. And as you said, everyone as their own style. Still I always like to ask more experienced writers how they write, because I may learn something from it.

Like now it’s pretty interesting that the two that answered are almost complete opposites in the way that they write the code. You write the text first, while @CS_Closet starts with the code and then writes the text. Which is more like the way I do it, since I absolutely hate editing, since I get stuck on one line or one word and I can keep thinking about it for a day, taking up all my thinkingspace so I can’t do anything else.

@Celtic_Rune
I just write on paper as I tend to get a better flow. I do not edit until I start to program. Of course I could be doing things backwards and causing myself way more work then needs to be done. :slight_smile:

@lordirishdas
I agree with you that writing paper is better sometimes. Since that way of writing is slower, it gives me more time to think, so I think more about the plotline when I write by hand. The only downside is that you usually need to copy what you wrote into the computer… Which is good because you immediately get to edit it but most of the time I’m just too lazy for that… Plus I don’t like it when writing doesn’t align. By which I mean that you have some parts on paper and then you continue writing on the computer, so that next time you write by hand there’s some part in between the part you have last written and what you need to write now.

But that’s just my weird opinion (which I wish I hadn’t, really) and I get that if that doesn’t bother you it’s a great way of doing things

For some reason I can’t write very well on paper. My thoughts go by too fast for my fingers. Whenever I read things I’ve written by hand, the prose seems stilted since I so often lose my thoughts. It’s super frustrating, man. I think I’m just naturally flighty or something, hahaha.

I’m the sort of writer who vomits out words and then goes back and edits it later, ja feel?

Personally, I think a focus on the number of words written in a unit of time can be detrimental. For one thing, it can lead to an attachment with the word count that can make it difficult to do the necessary cuts when editing comes around. I think it’s more helpful to focus on the number of hours you spend working on the story (really working, not sort of fiddling around while watching RAW *looks guilty*) per day/week.

That being said, one of the most debilitating issues I’ve seen in myself and my writing friends is the need to “get it right, out of the gate.” Perfectionism has its place, but that place is in the editing stage (and maybe a bit when initially outlining). If you’ve been going back and forth over an idea for two days, and still can’t arrive at a settled decision, just go ahead and write anyway. One of the advantages of CYOA games, in fact, is that you can explore a path, then, if you have a better idea, just turn that into another path.

Generally, I write about 2000 words per day, straight into choicescript. However, that’s not every day - depending on what I’m doing I can go weeks without coding, then a month working solidly. With ‘The Race’ it took me 6 months to finish the project from start to finish. However, I had a good 6 week break in the middle where I did no writing at all!

I write maby 100-250 words a day

1 Like