August 2024 Writer Support Thread

It does (I mean, presuming you’re not, like, an architect or a historian).

5 Likes

Not entirely. Gothic romance is a thing.

6 Likes

Well, it could be romance too, but yea. Looks like @AletheiaKnights got to the post button before I could. lol

. :wave:

A true GGG game!

5 Likes

“A gothic gaslamp game” for the alliteration. :stuck_out_tongue:

In fact, put that in your game logo as a subtitle. (not a joke)

Must be better than a “gg”; it has an extra g, after all.

4 Likes

Personally, words like “thrilling” (or any words like that which imply how the game thinks I should feel about it) make me instantly wary of the project. (“Thriller” is a different case, it states genre, and would make me jump.) But that’s probably a me issue.

5 Likes

I’ve tried to model my blurbs on official CoG blurbs, so many of the keywords I use are repeated often in their blurbs.

5 Likes

And it irks me in those as well, it’s like reading job ads. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If one day.I reach.publication and have to do my speech blurb or @Eiwynn or @Havenstone make mine or all will read the less effective more sincere blurb of gaming history.

Something bizarre made in English? with lots of abstract dark humor and metaphors where being able to being evil and role-playing take most of the emphasis…

It doesn’t have graphics so or you have imagination or you can go and skip everything choosing options randomly.

6 Likes

You know, it is my goal to have a sensible story while doing this :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Was away for a while, having a burning mind after work & trying to reduce screen time was the natural cause.

So I guess my minds’ writing machinery cogs weren’t in action as smooth l as I wanted them to be, nevertheless last Saturday had some writing done and today also had a good smooth session. Not long but efficient.

Also writing in a gap of week makes me check my spreadsheet and read some previous parts I wrote is bit annoying but a need to get back into the mindset of the game.

I can say I wrote more or less 1.3K words since my last post here. Almost reached 7K in the first scene of Chapter 4 and my month target is still reachable (Reaching a total of 14K in this month :nerd_face:)

Still doable, need more smooth workdays to have an energetic mind after so I can sit and write at weekdays.

7 Likes

It was indeed! I think I may stick with that name once I finish the game and release it to CoG since the other name I was going for was too many characters.

5 Likes
A little long, so putting under one of these

I once got feedback on a fanfic that said my story was the most boring horrible thing they’d ever read and the main character wasn’t interesting, I was a horrible writer, etc.

I started laughing and sent it to all my friends :joy: We still joke about it when we tease each other about silly things: “ohh you mad bro huh? is it the most boring, horrible thing you’ve ever read? :eyes:

Idk, I think laughter takes power away from mean people. I get excited for constructive feedback, it energizes me. But the stuff that’s just mean? @poison_mara’s right: insults aren’t feedback. It’s bizarre, so I do my best to just realize that and laugh. If I got it constantly it’d still get under my skin sometimes, for sure. But laughing helps.

People advertise on reddit? I… have not been doing that lmao. Now I’m wondering if I should be doing that :joy:

Hi, can confirm, thanks for pointing out the ones you found in my beta :rofl:

9 Likes

“Golden Eyes Or Something” would certainly be a curious title for a game. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Hi everyone! I am very happy today!
My little HG game called Last dream is scheduled for October! Time to celebrate! :clinking_glasses:

I also started working on a new HG based on my Novel, Sancta Sanctorum, which Outland Entertainment published.

I am SO excited! :heart_eyes: Never stop writing, folks!

And, most of all, thank you, everyone, for being such a welcoming and supporting community. I love you all. :heart:

We all love you all :heart:

17 Likes

Me every time I streamline my code :nerd_face: :grinning: :handshake:
Me every time I realize that’s gonna cut my new wordcount in half: :angry: :melting_face: :sob:

I know it’s right, but also I hate it. Sometimes I just want my artificial bloat gdi!

But I did hit my 50K mark and I am going to buy myself some craft supplies right now. :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

I feel that pretty hard, especially since I set myself a daily word quota which has, in the past, been pretty punishing (up to 4000 words a day).

I’ve cut myself down a bit this time around to ensure the words I put down are actually new content which adds to the story, and not just words for the sake of words.

10 Likes

A bit late to log-in and reply, but you might consider varying your sentence structure on the blurb. That list of descriptors in the middle was hard for me to parse in all three examples. Does it have to be one sentence, not two? If yes, then does it have to follow the pattern of “title, adjectives, author’s name”?

If it doesn’t, you could consider trying something with a bit more breathing room between the descriptors. Like: “Set in a realm of gaslamp-fantasy, Patchwerks: The Awakening is an interactive game by Eiwynn–where your choices control a story inspired by gothic Victorian horror.” Or something like that.

I haven’t played your game but just looking at the ideas included in the blurb got me interested!

5 Likes

I gotta say, I really wish we had more freedom with the marketing blurbs.

I understand that it’s part of the house style and it’s part of ensuring the potential audience knows exactly what kind of game this is (I recall Zombie Exodus getting some bad reviews back in the day because people evidently didn’t realise it was a text game), but sometimes having that one boilerplate passage in the middle of every store description feels off.

11 Likes

While I agree. At this stage its very much what I look for in the newsletter right before the actual descritpion blurb. Since it usually tells me what I want to know in a convenient manner that often the description fials to deliver. Since the description really only works to deliver the theme of the game. Like if its fantasy. But rarely if I would actually want to sink my teeth into it.

4 Likes

Thank you for your feedback valence!

As Cataphrak says in the post below yours, I tried to adhere to the house style as much as I could.

I like your suggestions and intend to use them to present an alternate form, but the boilerplate text is consistently in the market blurbs for both Hosted Games and Choice of Games releases.

You are asked to submit up to 20 versions for HG staff to pick from, but this type of thing exhausts my creative motivation and drains my energy, so I am trying to get this down pat in the first few.

I think Cataphrak and other published HG authors can go into the process in greater details, but I think I have the general gist of the matter down.

Edit:

Yea. The document suggests you submit the full 20 … I think another author that is writing their blurbs got up to 10, before collapsing… I, personally hope they accept my first, so it would be my only. lol

8 Likes