An Unexpectedly Green Journey—From birth to death, craft your orc's legacy

My orc tribe is lost in the Steam; they look forward to running amok as soon as I can hit the “Play” button.

Their plane is stuck circling in the ether as they await “installation” – ground control is saying “when they have time” for a landing date… (I just don’t have time for gaming currently but I am looking forward to reading a full adventure asap)

7 Likes

@Eiwynn

Lost in the Steam? (Isn’t it downloading?)

Those humid vapours will really set them off! Which could be a good thing!

The green folk are yearning to be slipped from their steamy leashes.

I hope you enjoy your adventures! Please let me know if you uncover any issues.

EDIT: I see! They will wait for you as long as you need, grinding tusks and other grindy things.

7 Likes

Welcome to the HG authorial ranks, brother. You’ve made it. Sit back and watch that pony run.

8 Likes

@hustlertwo

Thanks, mate! Though my pony is a boar- who charges into rockfaces. But I hope the clumsy thing has a hard enough skull to break through.

I am honoured to join the thin line of quill-carrying keyboard tappers.

-Also, made my final shill post in your grand domain! Good feeling to see some excited folks.

7 Likes

I love this image.

Secured my copy as well, although I’m not sure when I’ll have time to actually play it.

6 Likes

@LiliArch

Cheers!. The journey is yours to take whenever ready. One cosy day or night, I hope you spring from the baborc crop and have a great time!

3 Likes

Congratulations! I hope the first review is a sign of things to come! You’ve worked hard for it!

3 Likes

Not my usual flavor of game (usually I’m more in the romance genre) but I enjoy your prose and like a good life sim so I’m looking forward to trying it out.
Maybe I’ll be a shaman. Let’s see how that goes.
:boar:
(There’s no orc emoji, so I chose a boar instead.)

3 Likes

Congratulations on the release!

3 Likes

Thanks mate. So far, I have a little collection of good reviews- all positive! :slight_smile: I long to reach enough to get that blue thumbs up by the game so let’s see how it goes.

@Sanadi
Thanks for taking a chance. It can be rewarding to play a game that strays from our favourite type. I hope you find that you enjoy the green life and that it is worth a try.

Yes- no orc emoji :(- I go with the boar too and put a green square next to it and then force my eyes to merge the little pictures.

:boar: + :green_square: = orcy orc

@mihai899

Thanks mate! I know you’ll bring glory to the horde.

6 Likes

Just finished the game I must say it’s been a long time since I enjoyed so much a hosted game, I liked every thing the writing, the art, the lore it was a lot of fun

2 Likes

@Webtoonien

Raging through the plains with the horde is fun! You know, at the end of the day, I wanted to make an adventure which is fun, an experience where the player can explore, mess around and have a tale to tell at the end of it.

Hearing how much you liked it makes me beam with joy (and a bit of pride, it is really a good feeling to hear about people enjoying something I have created).

Thanks for playing my game and telling me about it. I am working on a follow-up, which is in the early stages, that I hope will be fun too, although it may not be as much fun since it is not about orcs. It depends on the adventurer, I guess.

Cheers!

5 Likes

You got your blue finger! Well done! Looks like everyone is having as much fun as I am, and I don’t even like orcs and violence.

1 Like

Read your lovely review! Makes me so chuffed:)! Big thanks!

I adore that you can enjoy my game without liking orcs. I feel that the violence is very over the top, at times, even a bit tongue-in-cheek. This is a legacy of Fighting Fantasy gamebooks. Meant for kids, though the violence was often written in excruciating detail.

Really appreciate your support, my friend- and so do all the disgusting greenies!

-And yes- I do know some real-life orcs. A member of my family, back in the day, played professional football. As an overly sensitive little boy, I remember the rowdiness of the footy crew. Back then, I viewed them all as loud, crude creatures, while I had my nose in books.

Bit different nowadays, though I still have my nose in books.:smiley: (And I still don’t gel with football)

EDIT: Have noted down some things I will include in the first patch. Will focus on catching errors and bugs. An Unexpectedly Green Journey (orc life-simulator) [1.5+ Million Words] OUT NOW! - Hosted Games - Choice of Games Forum

7 Likes

There is none.

2 Likes

There is no romance in the game. Orcs are asexual beings that hatch from plants.

3 Likes

@ZackFoster

Hi Zack, it is a valid question. I know the expectation for these games.

For my version of orcs, they do not care in the slightest for romance. They care even less for the things romance leads to. In fact, these big, disgusting brutes view the whole romance thing as repulsive and a waste of time- waffling on, pregnant pauses, sloppy noises. A git could be boozing his brains into oblivion or smashing some skulls instead, doing something propa useful, you know?

5 Likes

It would be good if you add a page for stats description so people can get a rough idea of which stats does what, i’m familiar with IFs so i get a rough idea, still confused at first about what some stats does like presence, appetite, horde and infamy so new IFs players might not get it at the beginning, it’s more of a QoL feature tho, not deal breaker.

Same with diplomatic relation, could use another page for it since it’s a bloody long one so it’s less clutter in the stats page but since all the stats are up top not a big problem, the lore below each diplomatic relation is a very nice touch but it does make checking it a hassle, it also my personal preference to have a clean and tidy stats page so some bias there.

All in all, it’s a very enjoyable experience so far, certainly did not expect so many actual branching path, you are mad. It was difficult to RP as Grimgor Ironhide like i previously intent tho, i enjoy Gobba too much to bash every goblin skull and couldn’t bring myself to punch the wolf pup, worse yet i have to actually THINK about the survival of my species as these orc need fertile land to grow more orc. It was little different from what i was expect but i still enjoy it, really love the lore tidbits, make the world feel more alive when it have some history and events in it.

1 Like

A very good idea to add a stat description page. I’ll get to that- it should be pretty simple.

Yes, the stats page can get very long. I really like reading about the ‘record’ of my character during games and wanted to have info the player could look through to indulge in their achievements. Perhaps I overdid it. I understand that scrolling is more of a pain using mobiles than with a mouse- and I haven’t played any games on mobile so this is a big oversight I need to learn from.

It is also a good idea to set up another diplomacy page. This ties into several variables and means it needs a bit more work to move it to its own page. I will look at this at a later time as I do not want to fiddle too much in one go for fear of breaking things.

Best not to punch the yappy pup! Your furry mate comes with many benefits later. And who could not love the dastardly goblins? - I may have written a goblin game, it was something I almost started but decided upon the orcs as I had lots of it already planned. And I think the never-seen-and-surely-just-a-myth rat folks of another universe share certain traits which the gobs.

While you can’t be an exact copy of Grimgor, you can tread along a similar path. I wanted to give the player the feeling of being able to choose their destiny, amongst many. This is an orc ‘life simulator’ rather than a story about a great orc warlord. You can be that, but you must make choices along the way, which will have consequences. Also, I didn’t want to carbon-copy the great orcs of Warhammer or Tolkien. The influences are there for all to see but in a new world with different lore. I am glad you enjoyed this aspect. I think it adds to the wider experience.

Really appreciate your feedback and for you playing my game. I know, by your name, that you are versed in the lore of other realms. Great to see that you have spent time in my little realm too.

EDIT: As an aside- what does a human have to do to get one of those Hosted Game Author epithets next to their avatar around here? I promise I didn’t use cheat mode to unlock that achievement! :boar: :green_square:

2 Likes

Your account settings should have a section named “Title”, which has a drop-down list of all titles you have available. Check if it’s in there? (If it’s not, you may need to contact someone.)

1 Like