Affairs of the Court Annoyances

Seeing as people tend to be bothered by Intrigue #2, I feel the need to mention that if a threesome option was available then that would have logically happened with the King/Queen Consort, Agustin(a) and you before (which would open up petty new paths that need to be written), not to mention that this young girl, just like you, will obviously plan to discredit you and worse in the future (which will probably happen anyway if you mess up your choices, not gaining a life mage child and lose Agustin(a)'s affection). There are already many interesting ways which you can screw up, adding such a path is absolutely unnecessary and a chore to write and read through.
I thought most normal people will not like it if their wives think of them inferior to another girl, or suggest that they have a threesome?

@princelitchi

1. Regardless of whether you yourself are interested in playing a bi protagonist, the original consort clearly had no interest in being in the same city as you, let alone in the same bed. There was no way that threesome was going to logically happen. No way in hell.

2. Adelita was a pretty nitwit. She gave it up too quickly and was dumped by Augustin(a) just as quickly. She was never a real threat to your character and didn’t have the brains to become one. You give her far too much credit.

3. Even if Adelita was as dangerous to you as you were to your predecessor, involving yourself in their relationship would have given you the ability to keep tabs on both her and your spouse’s interest in her. And information is power.

4. You clearly don’t understand just how strong a turn-on girl-girl action is with an extremely large segment of the straight male population. While most men would prefer that their wives not cheat, even with another woman, Augustina is a notorious philanderer who only an idiot would have expected to be completely faithful. Furthermore you don’t have the power to stop her, and there is no such thing as a royal divorce. And as I’ve already said, to a lot of straight men, a woman in your wife’s bed feels far less threatening than another man. So you might as well make the best of it.

5. Throwing a hissy fit was stupid, it just made your powerful spouse dislike you, and ignoring her affair wouldn’t help you any more than it helped your predecessor. I detested the stupid behavior my character was forced into.

6. Just because you yourself don’t desire the option to seductively suggest a threesome, doesn’t mean a lot of other people weren’t unhappy that it wasn’t there. I imagine a lot of gay and bi women as well as bi men would have liked that option too, although their reasoning may have differed somewhat.

@P_Tigras

Hmm, #5 makes sense, I did not personally walk in on them during gameplay (as I chose to walk away) so I did not know what options we had after.
#2, but I also played a stupid nitwit and- LOL I guess our experiences were just different. I like roleplaying dumb morons. I think I personally wouldn’t have minded the option of throwing hissy fits, but that’s really just me being strange.
Well then, why not extend it into a whole harem? It’s a sexual turn-on so it should obviously be implemented into the story, right? There can be plenty of young, beautiful, dumb girls who Agustin(a) could be interested in. Just joking.
Anyway, if you did not end up with a Life Mage child, Agustin(a) will continue the affair with Adelita, so getting yourself involved in their relationship/a threesome is very much possible in the next part of Affairs. That should be an interesting path.

LOL! It’s not just because it’s a sexual turn-on. It’s also a very logically cunning offer to make in that situation. Augustin(a) clearly isn’t the faithful sort. It thus makes sense to manipulate your royal spouse’s hedonistic nature to increase her/his approval and better keep tabs on your competition. If being with a man is fun, and being with a woman is fun, than being the center of attention of both a man and a woman at the same would be even more fun for a hedonist like your spouse. If you can take pleasure in it too, all the better, although I wouldn’t count on being able to diddle Adelita in front of her, at least not the first few times. A smart consort would keep Augustin(a) as the center of their attention until (s)he decided (s)he wanted to watch you with Adelita too. Remember, it’s not your harem, it’s Augustin(a)'s, and if you’re foolish enough to act like it’s yours you just might end up losing your head.

There is a game variable StopWanderingEye which represents how interested Augustin(a) is in cheating on you. As you’ve noted, giving your royal spouse a life mage heir is one way to send that score into the stratosphere and, at least temporarily, stop the cheating. Nevertheless if it isn’t high enough and Adelita still remains alive, the game tells you that Augustin(a) quickly loses interest in Adelita and finds someone new to cheat on you with. :stuck_out_tongue:

Frankly, the concept of a game isn’t exactly my cup of tea, sure there’s an amount of fun in charming your way to the throne, but I dislike how the sequel makes it so that’s the ONLY way to “win”. Plus all the political intrigue bored me to death.

@P_Tigras: Yeah, I get now :smiley: . Makes sense, hahaha.
This is random but I really like Agustina (the female version only), what an empress ~

@13ventrm:
Good point. These games remind me of visual novel where you can achieve many endings but there is likely only one ‘true end’ (which might not be the good ending at all). However, whether or not you really ‘win’ in Intrigue can only be decided when part 3 comes out, the ending everyone thought was optimum now might not be the best ending after all.
Like said, I don’t care about ‘winning’ so it does not affect me. I like it when my character is tortured and put through misfortunes…okay I’mma shut up now.

@13ventrm: Yeah, a game about political intrigue isn’t for people who don’t like political intrigue. Personally I like games involving political intrigue so it didn’t bother me. I also enjoyed it for the most part because it gave me some insight into what noble women who weren’t heiresses had to deal with in the late middle-ages/early renaissance. And given that our world has no life or death magic, there were even fewer options for them to advance themselves then our character had.

@princelitchi: Augustin(a) as a female is rather interesting. For the most part she works. There are even times when I find her compelling. Nevertheless there are also times when she comes across as too androgenously wooden, a gender-neutral Henry VIII clone instead of a 3 dimensional person. I don’t mind her strong, assertive personality; In fact I respect it. It’s a requirement in an effective ruler. I can accept her being described as handsome, instead of the more gender-neutral attractive, since in olden times it was perfectly acceptable to describe an attractive woman as handsome. There are no little feminine touches however, and she must have been a freakishly large and physically strong woman to have so casually lifted my male character off a balcony and set him on the ground. That’s the downside of reusing all of the same dialogue and action lines for both the male and female versions of the character.

Personally, I like the idea of a handful of minor gender-based conditional dialogue or action alterations, small little touches really, nothing that would suck up a huge amount of time, to make vitally important characters like your character’s primary love interest, feel more real.

2 Likes

COR # 1 I think it’s less about your charm and just more about the fact that you are making a speech that everyone in court is going to obviously see and listen to. So you can easily make enemies this way. Rather, going around and subtly (or manipulating if you want to say) others into changing their beliefs on a particular matter you leave yourself out of the public eye. This increases both charm and subtly and makes you a force to be reckoned with in the arena that is Court Intrigue.

COR #2 I think it’s pretty obvious that you HAVE to get married lol! :stuck_out_tongue: You are what a 15 or 16 year old poor noble family and even in a gender equal world people are not going to give you hand outs when they could serve to increase their own power and wealth.

COR #3 Actually a baby doesn’t technically have to be in a womb to develop like in sea horses and some humans. And for all we know in this world of magic all babies are born through magic rather than literal birth process. I mean in all variations of the game that I have played I have never heard the birthing gone into detail.

COI #1 I can kind of agree with you on this one. However your sister (I believe) or uncle tell you he is a traitor and what he has done which is why he is in exile so you should have already thought he was bad lol! :slight_smile: actually in this scene I usually convince him to just let me poison the older man my sibling is married too, because it makes the king hella mad and it makes me and my family look more innocent and gives more stuff to us. Plus I wouldn’t want to sacrifice Charm, Looks, and Subtly for magic skills lol!

COI #2 LOL I’m assuming you’re a guy now. But on a serious note the simplest answer would/could be is that as Consort to the Monarch, male or female you are property in a sense and CANNOT cheat on your spouse. If you are accused of it, it’s your head! If the King/Queen invited you themselves to join it is one thing, but to propose it yourself, would likely come off as a unforgiveable betrayal by your sovereign.

Sorry for the long post lol! :smiley:

@Jammy

CoR#1: As written, contrary to what you might think, being subtly manipulative in CoR doesn’t check or increase charm, only subtlety. There aren’t nearly as many opportunities to use charm in the game, and most of them, like making speeches, will result in your subtlety score getting killed. And if you’re making enemies by giving speeches, why does that only affect your subtlety score instead of both scores? I’d think it would be even harder to charm an enemy who is angry at you than to subtly manipulate them.

CoR#2: LOL! You’re thinking from the traditional woman’s perspective. Poor sons of the nobility were expected to join the military and make their fortunes that way before marrying. So waving a magic wand and calling it a gender equal world blows up the “you have to get married” logic. A child of the nobility should have the option of becoming an officer in the military, most especially a highly talented death mage. Furthermore, back then 16 year olds weren’t treated like children, they were treated like adults. So pointing out that the character was 16 is meaningless. The idea that teens are entitled to an extended childhood is a rather modern idea.

CoR#3: Given that most people in the game don’t seem to have any significant magic, I’m inclined to think that most birthing is still done the old-fashioned way.

CoI#1: Clearly you’re more comfortable with poisoning your loyal sibling’s spouse than I am. :stuck_out_tongue:

CoI#2: It’s harder to justify treating your spouse as property in a world where gender-equality is a given. There is no institutionalized double-standard. While a powerful enough monarch may be able to get away with it, even the monarch’s expectations on the matter would likely be influenced from a young age by the cultural norm. Furthermore it seems rather strange for a world that is so egalitarian about gender, homosexuality, and bisexuality to be sexually uptight about threesomes, especially when much of the stigma against threesomes that did exist came from homophobia.

Augustin(a) is bisexual, and something of a hedonist, and hedonists are often attracted to the novel and to the forbidden, particularly activities that increase their stimulation. As long as Augustin(a) remains the focus of your character’s attention, you should be pretty safe in suggesting a threesome that has Augustin(a) as the center of the triad. Switching your attention to Adelita in the middle of sex could be deadly however if it aroused Augustin(a)'s jealousy. I wouldn’t try anything with Adelita in this situation unless Augustin(a) suggested it. Nevertheless if the threesome option did exist, I’d find it highly amusing if anyone stupid enough to ignore Augustin(a) for Adelita during sex got executed by a jealous and infuriated royal spouse as a result. :wink:

@Jammy

On the subject of ability scores, picking charm as your highest makes the game harder since it will cripple your other starting scores. (You’ll be stuck with 80 50 25 25 instead of the usual 80 70 50 25.) Picking charm as your 2nd highest is fine however. Subtlety is the easiest score to raise (and lower). So I always assign it the 25 and find it easy enough to raise before I really need it. I always end the game with all my scores in the 80’s or 90’s :slight_smile: unless I’m giving lots of persuasive speeches, in which case my subtlety is in the basement. :frowning: