Adult BDSM Themed Game?

Hello,

I’ve been considering possible topics for my next game after I finish my current WIP.

Beyond wanting to write a game from a dragons perspective, or a history professor ending up in ancient rome by some time travel accident, I’ve been contemplating writing an adult themed game.

The game would specifically revolve around BDSM and the dynamic relationships between a dom and sub.

I would not be writing from layman perspective. It has been a part of my life for over ten years and I’m not looking to write 50 shades of grey or glorify violence.

I’d much rather tell a story akin to the movie Secretary. Characters would be able to be a dom, sub, or engage the scenarios as a switch, deciding between scenes which role they wish to adopt.

I am curious if there would be interest in a dialog heavy, BSDM romance story that does not revolve around binary gender roles but rather the complex relationship between subs and doms.

Maybe?

WIP: https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/wip-bdsm-adult-a-stern-hand-chapters-1-3/48375

27 Likes

I have a suggestion - why don’t you try to make it a partially educating experience? A lot of people seem to have misconceptions about what BDSM actually is and how its done. You don’t have to go all technical about it as nobody, unless they’re really interested or curious, wants to seat through that… but I figured a little tease (pun intended) would suffice. The fact communication is important, that sessions are planned out, that both parties need to consent to what happens, etc. If you decide to do this then try to integrate it into the story as a natural element rather than a manual, lol.

The rest is up to you. Romance ain’t a requirement but I wouldn’t mind going through it if it adds to the story and its not a detriment or too focused on it. Its completely natural for a D/s to develope some feelings for one another since the entire exercise is reliant upon the trust one has the for the other and the whole thing is kinda like a unifying hobby of sorts. I definetely don’t mind the adult elements either. We’re sorely lacking in that departement around here. Just be VERY careful when approaching anything that resembles rape around here… its a senstitive topic and for obvious reasons. I know BDSM ins’t about that (and its even frowned upon) but some people can’t tell where the line starts and ends.

16 Likes

@Tool - This was recently addressed by CoG employees; see below.

In addition to the publishing criteria, getting approval by the various sales platforms will be difficult at best. For an example, The second installment of Samurai of Hyuga Book 2 by @MultipleChoice; which had been delayed by Apple.

8 Likes

Your suggestion is great and exactly in line with what I was considering. You’re right that the write must reflect accurately the negotiation of limits, respecting those limits, and how trust is developed between the two.

One of the choices, obviously, during a scene would be using your safe word to opt out.

I don’t think I would write anything resembling rape and would drastically focus on play, the power dynamics, and the feelings cultivated a between D/s, rather than on sex.

3 Likes

The BDSM area of things is awfully complicated and very much misunderstood, BUT I’m used to complicated things.
Terminology, classification, equipment, relationships. Believe it or not a real relationship in this is the most trusting one you’d imagine and the ‘sub’ has more control than the ‘dom’ to be perfectly honest. Hell knowing the that a ‘brat’ in this area means ‘that back talk is part of the game’ isn’t all that widely known :wink:

I used to write this type of fiction, it’ll be interesting to see how you tackle this area.

7 Likes

One thing that would concern me would be my options for romance. In a game that’s focused on the relationship, you wouldn’t really be able to do something where the MC and their love don’t get together until the end–but I don’t think people (including me) would enjoy being told who their character is with. So I think by necessity there’d need to be at least some level of slice of life, let the MC get to know and be with their partner before getting into the main themes?

2 Likes

I am intimately aware of the terminology since I’m lifestyle when I can with my partner.
I completely believe it can be and has been the most trusting and rewarding relationship I’ve ever entered into. I am aware of brat play and the dynamics involved. You’re right that most often that aspect, along with tons of others are often misunderstood. This game would be a few months down the line since I’m really committed to Odin’s Eye. I mentioned this game to my partner tonight and she thought it would be a ton of fun to write together. I was curious if this would be a topic that would be acceptable here. There seems like a grey area, but I think my game would be tasteful and offer a compelling read.

3 Likes

I was thinking of setting it up that you could pick your dom/sub encounters/settings. You would be able to customize yourself, along with who your D/s would be. Most likely I’d write three characters for each role and each would be a different type of D/s. Then drop you into a scene with a small exposition and then you design your encounter. I imagine writing the game and allowing people to choose the dynamic of their relationship, how far they go, and where it happens. Settings could be at an office, personal dungeon, or a rented room at Paddles.

6 Likes

What @IvoryOwl suggested is good & right.

I for one love BDSM and have gotten quite interested in it. I’d say if you want some Inspiration the webcomic Sunstone is a good start. It’s very romantic and stuff. And happens to e good at explaining away some misconception about BDSM. Either way, i look forward to this.

2 Likes

I really don’t have an opinion on this, since I don’t know enough about this to have one. Though, frankly, I would think that the biggest misconception comes from the use sadism and masochism in the label. Though, our opinions don’t necessarily matter… I would think it best to get the opinions of the @moderators before you plan anything else (as well as staff of course). I hope I’m doing this right…

2 Likes

I think the main issue would be if you plan to publish the game through Choice of Games. If the game is explicit, they may not be able to release it in the usual places.

You might have better luck releasing it on your own.

5 Likes

The author could in Android though I was searching for erotica and found a very nasty supposed BDSM book. I said supposed because they forced the protagonist a girl to be there and become a mistress of other slaves or die horrible and that… I only read the description.

I mean an adult fiction where portray a real BDSM. as something consensual based in trust.Also not always girl sub Male dom. And other non binary etc… That should be cool.

6 Likes

So it would be like the comic Sunstone? Niiice >:)

1 Like

I’ll check out Sunstone. I talked with my partner about writing this because we, would be writing from experience. Instead of having a cursory understanding of the power dynamics I’d be able to write a piece that reflected the experience of myself and others from the NYC fetish scene. I did an ethnographic study on alternative, fetish, goth, and industrial subcultures and how often they are conflated together unduely or forced to have events together at spaces largely due to the prohibitive costs it takes to rent a venue rather than having a hip hop night.

2 Likes

I saw games with adult content on here before but it wasnt really good and I think it just disapeared. You just need to tag adult stuff on the thread to follow the rules.

I am personaly conflicted. I follow this lifestyle too but I fear that people might not understand. Stuff like this need to be approached very carefully if you dont want to further confuse people about what BDSM exacrly is.

overall though I dont think a whole game should be made about it. Its something that could be added to a larger project but I’m unsure of how interesting it would be as a whole story.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far, but I dare many of us, myself included certainly have our kinks and fetishes and I do have some (limited) experience with it.
I’d still be very interested to see the author’s take on it and good, kinky games are exceedingly rare, to say the least.

Of course I like m/m relationships best, but it seems you already thought to include a choice of potential partners, so I have nothing further to add there, for the moment.

True and some exposition might be needed for the more vanilla inclined among us.

Can’t stress this enough.

Amsterdam certainly does have its fair share of BDSM focused clubs and parties, or at least it used to back when I was more active in the night life. Rising costs of housing and a broken, or at least severely dysfunctional, housing market are a plague infections all major/desirable urban centers these days it seems. :unamused:

4 Likes

Ah… it’s times like these I’m happy I keep a kink list…

2 Likes

It is o.k. being vanilla.

3 Likes

Never said it wasn’t okay, pretty much vanilla myself too these days, doesn’t mean I haven’t got fond memories, or the occasional ummm…craving. :sweat_smile:
If this game provides a different flavour of escapism for me for once, I’m all for it. :wink:

6 Likes

Ha! Another Sunstone reader I see - Lisa and Ally make the cutest D/s couple everrrr. :kissing_closed_eyes:
And sexy to boot too!

1 Like