A Ruler's Life (WiP)

"Birds are singing. Flowers are blooming. In days like this, kids like you should be playing outside. " Is that from undertale?- >:) 'Cause if it is, I love it.

2 Likes

Of course, it’s one of my favorite games and I couldn’t help but make a little reference. :joy:

3 Likes

Damn! This is interesting. Looking forward to the update.

2 Likes

I plan to upload an update as soon as I finish the lake part. Unfortunately college is taking up a lot of my time at the moment. Hopefully with the end of this course next month and the arrival of summer I will be able to start making much faster progress on the story! I’m glad to see that there are still people interested. :grin:

6 Likes

I’m definitely going to keep an eye on this game. ‘Rags to riches’ is one of my favorite tropes and I can’t wait to see what life has in store for our rulers. I loved being able to choose our relative’s names, thank you for including that. Too often I have to ignore canon family names because they’re too western and don’t match my MCs. Looking forward to the next update! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Let’s see, I have a problem and I would like if someone could help me. I want to edit my original post with the intention of updating it, but for some reason it won’t let me or I don’t know how to do it. Any idea?

@moderators Sorry to bother, but I don’t know who else to turn to or what to do, so I humbly ask you to help me.

Hi @Jack_A , I’ve made it so that you can edit your OP indefinitely now. However, to edit your thread title, you may have to raise your trust level! I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you very much! That’s all I need for now.

1 Like

Okay I have a bone to pick with you. On the last page of the current demo it says “The villagers are still angry with you for abandoning your friend and sister.” Even though I decided to fight with my friend to save my sister and jump off the creature once it let my sister go.

How does that even add up?

3 Likes

It does not. I have reviewed the code and, indeed, it was checking a variable wrong that caused you to see that part when you should not. It should be fixed now. I’m sorry for the inconvenience and I’m glad you told me about it.

Incidentally, no. You didn't because my MC never met you.

He got all annoyed, but he didn’t even meet my MC, so how could he have imparted a warning? Him getting angry, causing my MC to lose a large percentage of his relationship points here makes no sense, but I understand if that’s something you haven’t gotten around to because of real life obligations. :slightly_smiling_face:

So this can be considered a minor continuity error report. :wink:

1 Like

Something does not add up here

1 Like

This comment took me a whole day or more to understand what it referred to. Until I looked at my own post and saw the incredible mistake I made. Instead of putting “June” I put “July”. Sorry for the mistake, it’s fixed thank you.

As for this, I had enough trouble considering all the possibilities to get to that part, so it is possible that some variable or wrong line of code slipped in. Thanks for commenting and I will try to fix it for the next update.

Pronouns are something that I overlook more than once. For the next update I have already fixed many of those bugs and changed the whole pronoun system, so it is possible that I already have it fixed in my version. I will still check it just in case, thank you very much.

To finish I want to comment that I know I said I hoped to make these updates more regular, but some things have prevented me from doing so. I’m pretty bogged down with the forest part and now I’m spending some time with family and friends after a year and a half of covid. But even with all this, I hope to be able to post the update in the next few weeks.

3 Likes

I should probably explain my exact choice path so you know what happened. I had my MC explore the forest around the lake, and when he heard the “roaring” near the cave with the bones strewn about, he noped outta there.

The spot in the code where I recommend the tag variable for meeting the mysterious stranger be set to ‘true’, is when the player is choosing how to respond to him jumping on them; the choices to be scared/begging, haughty and demanding, or halfway flirting by pointing out he probably shouldn’t tackle a minor. That’s the optimal location, since there’s several chances to back out before finding him. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s exactly what I did, so the problem was elsewhere. To be exact in the questions you ask him after he rescues you, I already set the variable to true at the beginning of the questions, not when you leave, making that text appear immediately after the first question and every time after that. I have already fixed it.

1 Like

lol it’s cool mate

1 Like

This was a neat demo. I am looking forward to what comes of it.