A Mage Reborn, Book Two (WIP) - UPDATED August 7th | Book One Released!

Maybe we overestimated Leon’s ability to conduct an investigation. I don’t know if being the king would make Leon the final decision maker, because if that were so, he is really stupid not to properly utilise the power at his disposal to investigate the crime. Hence Ilya and Saine>leon confirmed :joy:

5 Likes

I’ll admit too tearing up when my mage died. You gave me the feels and I can’t wait to see more. Overall well written with few grammar/spelling issues. I did feel like there could gave been more scenes in each ‘memory’ section because it felt a bit bare bones. You have a good story and cast of characters that leave you with lots of potential.

2 Likes

Getting kinda heated in the thread today :sweat_smile:

The lack of a trial is indeed a deliberate narrative choice, and is certainly meant to read as callous on Leon’s part. How callous it reads (as well as how reasonable/wise he’s being) is intended to register differently from person to person, in large part to facilitate the Pro-Arcadian vs. Pro-Parami split. There will definitely be scenes in the future (as in, post-resurrection) where the mage will be able to interrogate Leon on his thought process, but for the pre-resurrection arc, I’m happy with how the dungeon scene is right now. :smiley:

There is an additional pre-resurrection chapter in the works right now that will hopefully beef out the White Fangs interactions by a fair amount!

It’s an interesting idea! The thing is, Leon’s stone-facedness during the execution scene is meant to show how ‘kingly’ he’s being, which I think resonates well with his call to execute the mage.

I’m actually planning to split the first book into two parts, the first of which will be submitted for publication fairly soon; Book I will take the story all the way up to the execution scene, and with the new pre-resurrection arc it’ll stand at roughly 150k words! The second book (where Book I was initially intended to end) will probably be submitted mid-to-end of next year, owing to a large amount of changes & extra content from the initial storyboard.

28 Likes

Meanwhile, Leith, not even really thinking of questionning him… :rofl:

I like that, yeah. And MC’s reactions are fleshed out enough in my opinion so eh.

Oh really? I didn’t expect that.
Would I need to apply for betatesting again for what will be outside of what’s now Book 1, or is it okay to just stay on the team?

You’re good, no worries!

2 Likes

Cool!

Oh and also, it was meant to be a duology at first, right?
With the new split, does that mean we’ll get 4 books now? Since I assume the second book would have had the same lenght as the first one, initially?

1 Like

The plan is for a trilogy right now, with a wordcount distribution of 150k / 150k / 250k. This is all still subject to change, of course, but Book 3 will definitely be longer than any of the predecessors because it branches out immediately at the start of the book.

10 Likes

Aah, I see! Makes sense, yeah!
Man I’m so hyped :rofl:

Last question! What of “Sunblind” and “Betrayer”? It would be a shame to “loose” these, for the final version of the game, but these are still in separate files… Would that be included in the game, as something you can access from the starting menu (as in, you can enter the game itself, or one of the extras), or maybe would these be added as DLCs? Or will that stay on the forums only?

Sunblind is @StarlitOpal 's work, so I won’t be offering it up as anything other than the free, publicly available content that she intended it to be. As for the Patreon side-games like Betrayer, right now the plan is for those to remain as Patreon-exclusive content!

9 Likes

Oh i get him being stone faced for public , the reactions what i meant was just leon showing his true feelings to mc for just a split second as everyone else’s attention during the mc burning is focused away from him.

2 Likes

I think it would lessen the impact of the scene to me, to be honest :thinking:
I feel like him slipping and showing his feeling for a moment in the cell, on the romance route, but then being stone faced during the entire execution is just… chef’s kiss :star_struck:

But then again, Leon is one of my three favorite ROs of all times and I’m completely in adoration of everything that is about him so yeah… Don’t expect a lot of objectivity from me :rofl:

13 Likes

Dont worry i completely understand , same thing for me with ilya. :grin:

4 Likes

I just thought " Eclipse " as a callsign would be cool…passive aggressive towards leon

11 Likes

And now I can’t help but think of “Moon”.
Cause the moon is to the night what the sun is to the day, and besides the moon can’t shine without the sun :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I already had that kind of imagery from the start, hence my MC wearing black clothes etc. He looks like the opposite of Leon, basically, and it makes it so perfect for the romance.

5 Likes

Eh, if you wanted a callsign that references Leon, leon means lion.

So a callsign like Tiger (a more powerful big cat) or Hyena (lion’s ecological enemies) would do the trick.

2 Likes

I don’t recall any published game having side stories except SoH. That being said having Leon’s side story in the game would feel unfair if other ROs and characters like Saine and Aunt Bess were not given one as well. I don’t know since I haven’t read either of them but if the stories make sense depending on which route player is following it would be better if they remain on the forum as something extra for the fans who want to play those scenarios.

4 Likes

You mean, if they only make sense if a certain romance was followed? No, you can play them regardless and select if the relationship was romantic.

But yeah, I asked specifically because I remembered SoH’s side stories :rofl:

3 Likes

@Parivir
If you don’t mind my asking, how long were we in the dungeon? The prologue seemed to indicate it was a week, but the interlude seemed to imply we were in there for much longer.

5 Likes

“It’s as if you don’t know what I’m capable of, Ilya. Trust me, I can handle a few bandits.” — My MC Zaeyr, before getting a concussion.

tw blood

A Zaeyr x Ilya meme I made.

21 Likes

It’s a week! I saw someone point out something similar a few posts up - is it the case that ‘for the remainder of your days’ implies a very long time, as opposed to its literal interpretation? If so, that’s a nuance that escapes me as a non-native, and I’d definitely look into changing the latter passage!

Ha! Trust the mage to collapse a whole lot more over the course of the series. Being a magical glass cannon isn’t as luxurious as it may seem…

20 Likes