A Long Weekend (Drama, Romance, Slice-of-Life) [PUBLISHED]

Omg such an intense story in just a couple days. I really liked it (and After Dark too!). Especially certain options, the why and how you do certain things while in a not-so-good headspace were really relatable.

2 Likes

so after this update all i have to say is “ALEX IS TOO PRECIOUS FOR US!!! WE ALL NEED AN ALEX IN OUR LIVES!!!”

19 Likes

Alex_Stan_2 (2)

when you have OCD and see a simple typo on your dumb meme…

40 Likes

49 Likes

Thank you everyone for the comments, I’m really glad y’all are enjoying it so far.

I’d also like to add that the memes are hilarious, I’ve laughed so hard that I’m the one with abdominal pain now :smiley:

19 Likes

That’s what happens when a bunch of memer’s(or meme lords, whatever floats your boat) collectively enjoy a WIP, just accept that this is your life now

9 Likes

Can I hit Ashely and the MC’s bestfriend too? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

@Psychisto oh, hello there! I guess you’re the first person to have got Ash as co-worker’s name instead.

@CorvusWitchcraft About the positive answer to the dinner invitation, I took it down a notch. Now it should be more moderate without getting out of character. I’ll wait your feedback! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a question. Why does the text say that I have to tend to my wounds? ( I chose eating disorder) says that I have wounds on my wrists but I never did myself any kind of physical damage.

1 Like

I relate to the MC so much emotionally and mentally tho. :sleepy: Definitely love the way the story shows your biggest adversary can be yourself- especially when you get stuck in your own head.

But I feel like if i was MC I would’ve start pulling away and kinda disconnected from the best friend character during their interactions. Maybe that’s just how i react when I get in my head but they just gave me weird vibes and it didn’t help when Alex spilled the beans on the best friend before the end of the demo.

Also, Alex is the sweetest but I know MC gonna start questioning themselves about them soon :sob:

5 Likes

I do think the more subdued nature of the new response gives more freedom for the player to imagine for themself the MC’s tone. It’s certainly still not exactly how I would have reacted in this situation, but I do think this is a reasonable compromise given that the MC’s temperament isn’t entirely in the player’s control (which is fine!), and I ultimately felt good about picking that option, so, I’m fine with the way it is now.

A small coding issue with the Saturday chapter: choosing to clean the house doesn’t alter the filthy variable, which I believe is unintentional because cleaning on Friday does flip filthy to 0, and filthy (rather than clean) is later evaluated to see how Alex reacts to the state of the MC’s house.

Also, in several instances the hobby variable seems to only evaluate whether or not its value is 3 (which maps to drug abuse, I think), and any other value is treated as self-harm, which I believe is why Danak is seeing text relevant to that rather than the eating disorder.

Other than that, Saturday was an engaging ride and I’m interested to see how the story concludes.

4 Likes

bro… forget about ro, I just want mc get better and finally able to trully love themselves. :'0

7 Likes

Meanwhile, Mackenzie Archer, at an art convention, probably :

5 Likes

EDIT: sorry, I misread–the eating disorder has visible wounds, the abrasions on the fingers because of the teeth. Medication abuse is the only one that has no external wounds.

Currently, that dialog is only visible if you pick a specific path :grin:

Glad to hear that! Also:

The filth one is an issue indeed, but the hobby is correct. Thank you for checking.

3 Likes

You’re not the only one, brother. I don’t do memes myself but ive enjoyed the ones being posted on this WIP :joy:

3 Likes

Ah, I double-checked and I see what you’re talking about here.

On this subject, though: perhaps this is my own ignorance, but as someone who does not have the kind of eating disorder depicted (or know anybody that does, as far as I know), are the kinds of wounds you’re describing really so uniquely recognizable? I think if I saw such abrasions on someone’s fingers, I wouldn’t necessarily be able to intuit what happened the way Alex does.

Is there a reason Alex seems to immediately understand what’s going on and that it’s the result of sticking fingers down the throat, rather than an incidental injury or accident of some kind? Or is this something that a lot of people recognize and I just wasn’t aware of until now?

1 Like

I can tell you my personal experience. Sometimes, when a person has an eating disorder it can be quite intuitable, and there are a few signs (both behavioral and physical) that you can look for. Self-induced vomiting injuries can be fairly easy to recognize, ranging from simple abrasions on the knuckles of used fingers to actual teeth marks. As a narrative device, yes, MC’s are of the most easily recognized type.

6 Likes

Not always, I speak from experience with my sister she wore gloves, kept her lips well moisturized and took good care of her teeth, we realized almost 2 years later that this began due to her constant trips to the bathroom and because she disappeared for long periods of time after ingesting anything, and the explanations she gave began to make no sense.

That’s certainly a possibility. That’s why I said,

2 Likes

“In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.” - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

11 Likes