Writing choicescript with a mental problem

Regarding a group project, have you tried using something like Google Drive? by zipping the latest result and storing it online, others in your group could work together with their modifications. The process is a little tedious but could work from the other side of the world if you wanted to.

Oh my bad, lol that was a typo it was supposed to be “I don’t think i understood” :stuck_out_tongue:

and Also i think it can very well work out as long as you have people that understand what autism is. I know for a fact (not sure if it is the case with every type of autism) that autistic people aren’t very good at expressing themselves and it can be even harder over the internet but if you work in a group that understands that it could very possibly work.

@TechDragon610 i’ve never tried using google drive. the colours and placements weird me out but i can manage it, just a bit weird. ive tended to use mediafire or dropbox for all my stuff up until now but i can see why drive would be better as you can edit live and all that.

i don’t think i’d do a game then have others modify it. i would need people to help me code and figure out blocks of writing slowly as i went.

hmm, if color is a problem, could you dim the colors your screen displays until it’s just black and white? Perhaps write the basis of story and game mechanics, then send the zip to a partner to code?

@TechDragon610
basics of game and story, as well as story writing (slowly) and very basic coding in small amounts i could do (not sure if that’s productive at all, really). though i think that would work. sites like this have a lot of text but aren’t filled so much with colour and odd design. i’m willing to work with that with a partner, or partners, certainly, if there were any up for it.

doing it by myself would be tough. i’m glad for the input!

I have anxiety and PTSD. I have no idea what it is like to be autistic, so I am addressing only anxiety and mental illness.

Perfectionism is another problem that is made worse by anxiety. It’s agonizing to settle for something less than the absolute perfect vision in your mind; that I understand. I have terrible issues with not being able to finish things as well or quickly as I would like. I have been working for years, in and out of therapy, to be able to take small steps, do things by half-measures, and be imperfect.

It might take you years. This particular thing (coding in Choicescript) may not even be possible for you. But if you don’t do things that challenge your illness, you have a much worse chance of getting over them.

1 Like

Well maybe if you already have an idea for a game you can put it up here and see if anybody wants to help with it I for one know that i would rather not work on anything that is sci-fi (i personally hate that genre)

@Sashira i’m still unsure about coding by myself at the moment (starting/writing the game etc, i doubt i’ll do that alone in my current state) but i’ll be trying to desensitize myself to text walls. it’s really draining just to read all these replies but i am trying. taking it one step at a time. thankyou, though; this cheered me up a bit. ^^

@Eternalfire hoho, i’m a bit too shy for that! if anyone was up for chancing at a random game w/ me, they’d have offered already i suppose (but there’s more demand for coders than writers as usu). i guess also the people i’m with could influence what i write as well, and that would be their choice, not mine.
i personally have no problem with sci-fi as long as it’s executed well. starships and aliens are overplayed. but… other things… i think are quite good! i’ve always liked a bit of a mix myself. i think i’d be up for writing or helping to write quite a lot of things; but it would depend on my mental state what the quality was.

1 Like

I would have no problem with helping you in a project, though you would still have to take the reigns as the leader. and there maybe a week or two where i’d go missing for, i am a quite slow writer myself and am already working on something in the background so i might not be the most efficient member either. Plus there is the fact that i have hardly ever completed anything so… really it’s still be your project just with some help from me if necessary

Have you guys ever thought about using Skype for something like that?

It is possible to send files through it. Also, voice chat.

@ballmot my computer is old and busted, skype is not an option. sorry anyone/everyone

If you think of anxiety as a gift, good for you. For most people that is not true. It has nothing to do with what is “stronger”. Anxiety is a serious illness for most people diagnosed with it. In fact, a “mental disorder” that causes you no problems is NOT a disorder by definition… for you.

No. They have already stated that it cannot be. It is a serious problem for them that they can not confront as one would attack a stubborn stain. People and their mental problems are different, and that’s okay.

You can call yourself crazy if you’re mentally ill and it feels empowering to do so. It’s inappropriate to call other people that, because you have no idea what that word means to them. As is true with many labels.

3 Likes

@Farsight anxiety is a curse for me. anxiety is also a mental disorder. @Sashira is right; plus i’ve been called crazy as an abuse tactic. i’m pretty sure a lot of mentally ill people have. i digress. we’re getting off topic. again.

back to the autism acting up. do you have anything to help other than the same old self-discipline thing i already said i’d ignore?

I don’t think you’re aware how dismissive you sound right now. E.g.:“I shall indulge you” is not a reasonable thing to say to someone who has given you honest feedback on your tone. You made some damaging comments about mental illness (which, by the way, is right there in the original post) and then basically just told me I was wrong to question them.

No. No it is not. For people with anxiety, it is a disorder that can lead to suicide, psychosis, or any number of other terrible results.

“I would have never have guessed”
Mentally ill people tend not to bring it up casually in conversation, because then people say all kinds of upsetting things to you. Funny how that works.

Really? You’re nitpicking that.
It’s disturbing that you believe this kind of labeling isn’t a problem. You need to accept that when people bring attention to your offensive phrasing, they might have a valid point. You are lacking in sensitivity at the moment; I don’t think I have anything more productive to say to you.

I’m an eternal optimist and a wide-eyed idealist
That is fairly easy when you have had a lovely halcyon life. Since this topic has the capacity to hurt other people much more than you, you should listen to them when they tell you something is hurtful. The rest of that rant has nothing to do with me, or you, or anything relevant to your word choices.

i have an anxiety disorder (severe GAD) can people stop trying to tell me what i am and what i feel my mother is a goddamn award-winning psychotherapist i know what i am i do not want nor need these stuck-up know-it-alls telling me how i feel with their “i’m a philosopher”, “i am a gentleman” bullshit.

you are insulting me. you are insulting the mentally ill who have commented against you, and all mentally ill people of the same kind. am i a goddamn sociopath?! am i a manipulator because i won’t listen to your suggestions because i find them ignorant of my views, and insulting? please excuse me if i leave this site entirely. this is downright toxic. no more

There’s too much arguing going on here. We’re talking of extremely personal subjects, as mental health issues are. There’s been a complete failure of communication somewhere here and people are naturally getting upset.

I am locking this topic until one of the other moderators can pick through everything and deal with it since I’n not capable of doing so.

This lock is not personal. It’s not directed at anyone, it’s not a punishment and I don’t want it to upset anyone. It’s just providing breathing space until one of the other moderators can come along and sort things out.

8 Likes

Thank you for the intervention, @FairyGodfeather.

To everyone else:

We’re very sympathetic to anyone who was upset by the discussion, and we absolutely agree that certain aspects of it went out of bounds.

We understand that emotions ran high. Disability and mental illness are complex issues, and their particular complexity makes them very hard to discuss in an internet forum. Internet forums have very little context outside of the words on the screen, but everyone’s experience with disability and mental illness is unique, and full of a lifetime of context. It is essential to listen to people with disabilities, and to accept their experiences as real.

Asking for advice on how to write in ChoiceScript given specific physical and mental circumstances is an absolutely fine topic for discussion on our forum. The posts offering constructive suggestions (adjusting screen size, etc.) are fine. Thank you to those who engaged with the question in a constructive manner.

Suggesting that disability is not real, or that it can be overcome with self-discipline, is not okay.

Name-calling is not okay.

It looks like all possible constructive suggestions on this topic have already been given, and that further discussion on this topic would not be helpful. Therefore, this thread remains closed.

5 Likes