[WIP] Memoir of Smoke and Mirrors (Update 07/27/21)

Ooh l, I haven’t seen that…
Thanks @Cyphr

1 Like

i like this story

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello! It’s been a while, hasn’t it? Dropping by to talk about what happened and why I haven’t updated in forever.

When I was working on the later half of chapter 1, I unfortunately lost my progress. The device I’d been using was old and kept having problems, and sad to say, losing my progress was one of them. And that kind of discouraged me for a while so I took a break from it. However, it was shortly after that that my tablet eventually died. It logged me out of the forums and I just…sorta forgot lol (focused on writing other stuff and improving my art)

But lately I’ve been feeling like going back and starting this pet project of mine once more! It might take me a while to update since it’s really been a while and I haven’t touched Choicescript during the time I was gone. I’ll have to refamiliarize myself with it again. I’ll be actively lurking the forums once more, hahah

Also, I made an official Instagram account for MSM, so I have somewhere to post art and maybe some behind the scenes stuff. If you’re interested, you can check it out here!

Anyways, thank you for checking my WIP out, and thank you to everyone who DM’d me encouragements as well! :purple_heart:

Psst! Check out the IG account for a little Corbyn surprise heheh…

63 Likes

God I almost forgot this WIP :sob: this bring back many memories, oh I remember that time I overly simping that tsundere. How’s it going, roommate :smirk::rofl:

I’m just gonna say I like your art a lot. It’s beautiful and reminds me of my previous artstyle I used. Makes me want to draw again rn :grin:

6 Likes

Welcome back.

1 Like

Dude!! Holy crap, uh, hi! This story was my first WIP game that I actually adored (and got me into giving demos a chance despite the possibility of never publishing them and dying of heartache).

I’m totally fangirling here but, like… Shiitake mushrooms dude! I remember updating and checking the demo for this story for a solid two months straight like an estranged lover. It’s so good to see you! And it sucks that your laptop puttered out on you like that but here’s to hoping for better technology. Your branching dialogue and sunny character build gave me life.

4 Likes

That was interesting I liked it especially the narrator choices here it’s hilarious :joy: and also you really are making choices which can lead to different events it’s not just small changes
I see you stayed away from this story for a long time but I’m glad you’re back :heart: keep going!

1 Like

@Sakinah_Saraswati Oh, you know… Still pining :joy: I maybe kinda totally simp for the grumpy types so I feel you lolol And thank you! That’s so cool :eyes: Drawing is so satisfying hahah even if I’m a slow artist

@Uchiha_sasuke Thank you! :two_hearts:

@Lea_Boucher OML I’m so glad to hear that!! (But hopefully this one won’t stay as a WIP forever!! :pray:) Thank you for the dedication oml did I even last two months? Lmao So happy you like this :heart:

@Psychisto The narrator is definitely one of the highlights in this WIP heheh and yep! I want that replayability lolol and thank you for checking this out!

7 Likes

Short but already very interesting; the prologue reminds me of The Second Renaissance shorts from The Animatrix, in that I believe both to have an unreliable narrator. Your prose feels rich and descriptive without becoming too flowery or bogged down in minutia, and I’m enjoying your overall writing style; you’ve also done a good job with the characters you’ve introduced so far, giving us a good idea of their personality and managing that tricky middle-ground where they’re new to us as readers but well-known to the MC.

The only thing I didn’t care for was the part where you have to give your True Name; that’s probably inevitable for story purposes, but I really disliked how there wasn’t even the option to try and dodge it. This is a pet peeve, but it irks me when a game goes “And then you do X! [you do X because it’s the only option] Haha, I can’t believe you did X! What an idiot!” If there had been an option where you can at least acknowledge/try to avoid giving your super-important True Name to an unknown disembodied voice in your head, but the narrator says “Well, we’re not moving on until you do!” or something, this would be a non-issue. Otherwise it feels like the story is creating an MC that’s more oblivious/trusting/gullible than the one the reader might be trying to make.

That quibble aside, however, I enjoyed the demo and my interest was piqued; I’m eager to learn more about this world and interact with more of its populace, which I consider the sign of a well-done demo. I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread, and I’m looking forward to future updates!

5 Likes

Looks really interesting so far. The artwork is really great too!
Sooo the MC can hear a voice in his head :joy:
And who would have thought that a scene involving a yarn ball and an old lady could give you the creeps :grimacing:

3 Likes

Hi, @Telos! Thank you for the feedback, I’m glad this WIP’s got you intrigued! And that you enjoyed what little we have here, as well as the writing style! Good to know I hit that sweet spot in introducing characters with my MC.

Regarding the true name, I never actually thought about that (since the teasing only happens when the MC/you acknowledge the voice). I’d love to give as much agency as I can to players, so I find this very insightful. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review! I’ll definitely keep this in mind and do something about it for my next update :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Thank you again!

@Frieza Thank you! Happy you think so <3 The fact that you can romance it too? :thinking::joy: And yeah, that old lady certainly tried lolol

10 Likes

Yes! One of my favourite WIPs is back!

2 Likes

ahhhhh

I was gonna post abt forgetting the name of this wip and then you reopened it xD

1 Like

Worked on the True Name bit! You all now have a bit more options regarding it (though the general narrative doesn’t change).

7 Likes

AAAAAAAAAAAA this was so good!!! I loved every little bit!!! I love the concept of True Names and I’m super curious about MC’s mom and what is MC as well! Maybe a demigod/ess?

I fell in love with both Mr. Narrator and Corbyn already. “Mean to everyone else, soft spot for childhood friend MC?” HELL YE. And the narrator is so original! I gave him my true name immediately dhwjhdhehjf.

7 Likes

good to see you back cant wait for more updates keep up the great work

1 Like

Going back and reading this after almost a year has been amazing, and (apart from winning a 4 day game of monopoly) has been the highlight of my day.

6 Likes

Little update! Finished writing the introduction scene for our third RO. Hoo boi, but they were a bit challenging to write compared to C and M. Doing a few tweaks and edits and thinking of adding it to the demo but we’ll see.

16 Likes