Which genre do you feel is underrepresented?

You’ll be in luck when the heart’s choice brand is launched :slight_smile:

@Yippie That’s the only other published game around here that I know of. I actually thought it was kind of fun, but as with everything not all games will appeal to everyone the same :slight_smile:

@anon8836198 I agree with Yippie, give MetaHuman a go. It’s a great game. There’s another one by the same author called Orpheus ruse that you might also like if you like Metahuman. (It’s quite focused on ESP, and less on the corporate side of things but includes governments and conspiracies etc.) You might possibly Choice of the Deathless as well from that description.

6 Likes

Not that I’m complaining or anything but it seems a lot of WIPs are of fantasy, usually medieval, genres, or involve the supernatural to some extent. Sci-fi is also very popular; what I usually don’t see much is stories focused on just our modern world.

I get quite surprised that my WIP, which is just set in modern real world without any fantasy elements or magic, is sometimes mentioned to be “unique” or “different from other games”.

I am talking about WIPs mostly, I am not very experienced with the COG or HG library but it seems very varied.

1 Like

Not sure if it really counts as a genre of its own, but I am a big fan of games where you play as the villain.

22 Likes

Western,I’m a hopeless western sucker,give me more Tin Star

11 Likes

Horror, can I say horror? Horror, thriller, mystery, suspense, that style of genre. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever read a horror cyoa book . . .

6 Likes

Not a genre so much as a style/tone of writing, but I feel we could do with some more lighthearted/comedic pieces around here.

There was certainly at least one attempt and it was very good too, sad it died tho.
It was called “Don’t wake me Up”. Sadly not even the demo of it is playable anymore due to being on Dropbox. :disappointed:

11 Likes

Hmm, I haven’t really seen anything going for the Choice of the Heart label yet. But, I haven’t really kept up well with recent WIPs. Still, romance does feel a little under-represented so far, imo. Though hopefully there will be more in the future.

3 Likes

Have you tried Highlands, Deep Waters?

2 Likes

walks away to read the story

MURDER MYSTERIES , horror , Dystopian (is that a genre?) and a Supervllain game, and before anyone speaks of that awful “Supervillain” CoG imo it’s kiddie standard I prefer it be more in lines of Fallen Hero and lastly a pure political game with all raw dirty crap…

2 Likes

Highlands Deep Waters is worth checking out if you like Lovecraftian settings (like me eh :grin: ) theres also Heart of the House (one of my faves :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: ) and another hosted game where you’ll have to kill a monster in the attic before the sun comes down (sorry forgot the title :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

I would love to play MasterChef types of games!!!

2 Likes

WEREWOLVES. Tons of vampire stories, no werewolves!! There’s one coming out this year tho :pray:

9 Likes

Horror. But like…the splatter kind of horror. Think SAW as a choice game. We’ve had some mystery horror kind of games but I love those splattery bloodfests and I have a big big weakness for the SAW franchise sooo…that.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking of, that and I would love to see a Until Dawn type of game as well.

Horror, nothing really ever came close to scaring me. Even unnatural couldn’t go past chapter 10 withought making me stronger then the monsters by that point, getting rid of all the tension and horror

We have tons of werewolf WIPs but… yeah not enough of them are getting finished.
Hoo I’m one to talk.

Sapient zoological romantic comedy? Possibly of a supernatural or space aliens persuasion?
Going without the romantic part is fine.

1 Like

Just me rambling. Skip this.

I’m up for anything with a good character arc. Fantasy is a favorite of mine, but then (ideally) I want there to be magic realism as well.

Darker themes coupled with slice of life, thriller, lore (or to the more documentary side of things, like biographies) also works really well for me. Probably because as you read darker fiction, there’s often lots of realism in it. Atleast it feels that way to me. Like how there’s often descriptions of structures within a society, or the human psychology. I luv it! :heart:

Edit: As for unrepresented genres. I’d say there’s not many games (atleast that I know of) that take place in the current time. Most are either set in the past or future.

I don’t think there’s a lot of genres who are combined in an odd way either. Like “weird fiction”.

But wait. I haven’t read any choicegame with meta as a genre. I love that kinda stuff, so to see it in a CoG or Hosted game would be awesome.

4 Likes

What heart’s choice? I dont see it at the CoG line-up.

Yeah it really is sad cause there was only one or two Sports centric WIPs but they are both closed from what I have seen. That might be my first game once I figure out how to used the code better.